BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-19-2020, 12:42 AM   #1
hyde
Major
hyde's Avatar
United_States
321
Rep
1,413
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

2-axle air suspension & stock sound

Is this worth getting with the 20" rims on X5? It says it actively adjusts based on driving conditions (possibly speed) but does not sense the road and adjust like Mercedes does, right? Just wondering if I should spend money on that?

Also how is the stock sound with Convenience package. I can't believe BMW bundled the HK sound with Premium package and not a stand-alone option. I really have no use for other stuff, except sound in that package, compared to Convenience package, which happens to be "gesture control" and HUD (I usually use polarized sunglasses)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
Auricom
Colonel
Auricom's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,128
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Is this worth getting with the 20" rims on X5? It says it actively adjusts based on driving conditions (possibly speed) but does not sense the road and adjust like Mercedes does, right? Just wondering if I should spend money on that?
I have 2VR 2-axle air suspension on my G05 and ordered it for it's utility and adjustable ride comfort.

There are 3 aspects of 2VR 2-axle air suspension on the X5 - damping characteristics controlled by Driving Experience Control; when driving without a preset program, the vehicle level is adjusted automatically; and manually adjustable ride level for specific conditions.

Drive and damping characteristics of the suspension modified by the Driving Experience Control switch - Comfort, Sport and Adaptive.

DEC also affects the ride level:
Comfort - Normal level
Sport - Lowers the vehicle -20mm
Adaptive - utilizes navigation, switches between Normal, Dynamic and Sport levels

Or you can manually override the ride level and select your preferred ride height using the air suspension switch. Note there's only two drivable normal speed ride levels:

Normal: 0 to 87mph
Sport: 0-Max speed, -20mm ride level, auto or manually selectable

The other ride levels are speed-dependent include:

Offroad Level, H2: +40mm, manually selectable and only 0-18mph
High Level, H1: +20mm, manually selectable and only 0-27mph
Dynamic: -10mm, not driver selectable, auto lowers 87-124mph
Load Level: -40mm, manually selectable and only standstill


It's not at as advanced as MB's new E-ActiveBody Control suspension where the suspension system controls each wheel's spring and dampening force independently and actuating the height of each corner of the GLE in real time.

Putting the GLE vehicle in off-road mode, you can turn on the rocking feature which essentially bounces the GLE up and down for when it's stuck in sand or soft dirt by compressing the terrain, giving the vehicle more traction to free itself.
__________________
Current BMWs - '20 X5 xDrive40i M Sport, '20 BMW M550i | Past BMWs - '03 540iT M Sport, '06 E53 4.8is, '11 E70 M Sport LCI


Last edited by Auricom; 09-19-2020 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
GrussGott10889.50

      09-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
kebiN
Private
17
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 45e
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

I have HK and i think is a little deceptive... cant imagine stock sound
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private
16
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: Bmw
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

I have stock sound in mine and regret not getting the HK (never tested it but I assume it is a decent upgrade). It wasnít bundled with the premium package when I got my X5. That said the HUD to me is worth it - went with premium package just for this. Itís annoying that it doesnít work that well with polarized glasses (I have one pair that disappears the HUD completely and another that just significantly darkens it - can adjust the brightness but itís still not great .. now mostly drive with non polarized sunglasses as a result).

The gesture control is a total gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
ElectroGeek
Private First Class
United_States
54
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: X5 G05 50i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

I have Air ride, I enjoy it. I like being able to adjust the car from a little floaty to a more sturdy stance when driving, I also like the H2 position when driving over somthing larg, the Load level had come in handy only once (I wish the car would go to load level when in park).

I have the B&W Audio, I have had a loaner with HK, to me it is hallo and boring while the B&W really brings the sound to life provided your using a good source.

The gesture controls I thought originally to be gimmicky, however I find myself using them non stop and when I get into my other cars without it I find myself trying to gesture for controls. So I actually have found the feature a very nice addition.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:21 PM   #6
hyde
Major
hyde's Avatar
United_States
321
Rep
1,413
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like air suspension is worth the $1k price tag, I just wish they offered active steering (or whatever it was) that adjusts the steering speed based on your speed, looks like that's been completely removed from X5?

Regarding sound system, it sounds like BMW didn't make much difference since the last time I had the HK sound in my last X5s. They were "just fine" nothing crazy, but I had never heard the stock sound. To be honest, I've been in some entry level sedans and rental cars, and I doubt they put top of the line sound in those, some of thouse sound great, it's not fancy stuff like "Dolby Surround" or "Simulated 3D" or whatever options they had in BMW but I turn those off anyway. I find the biggest difference between Regular and any premium is that the number of speakers, therefore more "filling" sound as opposed to listening to stereo. Non of the $1k level sounds really can compete with aftermarket sound, or maybe B&W is where it's at. I wanted to know if stock sound is really horrible. Maybe I'll ask around to see if any delaers have one with convenience package and go check it out.

If HUD were to display Android Auto interface like google maps directions etc, I think it might be a game changer. As far as I know it doesn't, not even on dash, right? Just the nav screen can display AA?

Thanks for the replies.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 12:38 AM   #7
Auricom
Colonel
Auricom's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,128
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like air suspension is worth the $1k price tag, I just wish they offered active steering (or whatever it was) that adjusts the steering speed based on your speed, looks like that's been completely removed from X5?
Ah l, you're consider xLine model and ja, it's $1K. On 40i with ZMP M Sport package, 2VR is $150 in addition to $5750 package cost though it does include 20" 740M wheels as standard.

For MY21, 2VH Integral Active Steering is ONLY available on the M50i (starting base price of $82800 + $995 D&H) and is included with 2VR 2-axle air suspension ($1300) option.

I have 2VR + 2VH on my MY20 X5 and IAS makes it more much agile especially at low speed maneuvers.
__________________
Current BMWs - '20 X5 xDrive40i M Sport, '20 BMW M550i | Past BMWs - '03 540iT M Sport, '06 E53 4.8is, '11 E70 M Sport LCI

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
thereef510
Captain
United_States
297
Rep
721
Posts

Drives: '16 F15; '20 G05
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

gesture control is sneaky useful. I thought it was the biggest gimmick feature and every one of my friends who's been in the car also laughed when they saw it and thought it was equally dumb, but it isnt!

there's no quicker way to adjust the volume than with gesture control. Just the size of the actual volume control knob/steering wheel volume buttons dont allow for rapid adjustments.

But I can quickly do that with the radius of my finger making the gesture motion. Once you develop the muscle memory for where to put your arms for gesture control to work every time the first time, it becomes second nature.

is it a must? no. but once you have it and get used to it, its hard to go back lol
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
nosnoop
Captain
Canada
198
Rep
617
Posts

Drives: 5 Series
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
gesture control is sneaky useful. I thought it was the biggest gimmick feature and every one of my friends who's been in the car also laughed when they saw it and thought it was equally dumb, but it isnt!

The problem for me was too many false detection when it misinterpreted any hand movement when I had no intention of making a gesture control. I got so frustrated that I disabled it for good.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
thereef510
Captain
United_States
297
Rep
721
Posts

Drives: '16 F15; '20 G05
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
The problem for me was too many false detection when it misinterpreted any hand movement when I had no intention of making a gesture control. I got so frustrated that I disabled it for good.
yeah im a 'talk with my hands' type person and i've had my fair share of false detections, but i've just adjusted my habits to be better about it and now its few and far between
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #11
Tenac
Captain
Tenac's Avatar
461
Rep
930
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Comp, BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
yeah im a 'talk with my hands' type person and i've had my fair share of false detections, but i've just adjusted my habits to be better about it and now its few and far between
When I took mine in for its 1200 mile service they gave me a loaner base model. Stereo was trash to me but it didn't have gesture control!!!!! I found myself trying to use it and being denied, never thought I would miss it that much TBH. I use it so much not sure if I'm sure all my buttons actually work LOL.
__________________
2021 X5M Comp
2019 X3 M40i
2017 Magnum X1
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #12
thereef510
Captain
United_States
297
Rep
721
Posts

Drives: '16 F15; '20 G05
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
When I took mine in for its 1200 mile service they gave me a loaner base model. Stereo was trash to me but it didn't have gesture control!!!!! I found myself trying to use it and being denied, never thought I would miss it that much TBH. I use it so much not sure if I'm sure all my buttons actually work LOL.
I use the volume, mute, next/prev track buttons. I dont have the patience for the complicated gestures. I just wish the mute/umute button fully worked with CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 05:12 AM   #13
xigolle
Private
11
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: BMW X5
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post

If HUD were to display Android Auto interface like google maps directions etc, I think it might be a game changer. As far as I know it doesn't, not even on dash, right? Just the nav screen can display AA?

Thanks for the replies.
It does show it in the HUD and/or in the instrument cluster according to this video:


So it looks more advanced that the Apple Car Play integration and this is also reason why I specced it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
hyde
Major
hyde's Avatar
United_States
321
Rep
1,413
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Looks like it shows just the arrows but it's still much better than anything else out there. BMW HUD has always been great. Thanks for the video. I can't believe they initially didn't have Android Auto.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #15
Infosec
Lieutenant
United_States
77
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: X5
Join Date: May 2013
Location: US of A

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Ah l, you're consider xLine model and ja, it's $1K. On 40i with ZMP M Sport package, 2VR is $150 in addition to $5750 package cost though it does include 20" 740M wheels as standard.

For MY21, 2VH Integral Active Steering is ONLY available on the M50i (starting base price of $82800 + $995 D&H) and is included with 2VR 2-axle air suspension ($1300) option.

I have 2VR + 2VH on my MY20 X5 and IAS makes it more much agile especially at low speed maneuvers.
How is 2VR 2-axle air suspension compared to 2VF Adaptive M Suspension which is part of ZMP ? Which one is preferred and why? I'm novice when it comes to suspension pros and cons

I'm ordering M-sport and have option to add 2VR.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #16
Auricom
Colonel
Auricom's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,128
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infosec View Post
How is 2VR 2-axle air suspension compared to 2VF Adaptive M Suspension which is part of ZMP ? Which one is preferred and why? I'm novice when it comes to suspension pros and cons

I'm ordering M-sport and have option to add 2VR.
I have an extensive write up here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...02&postcount=5

Original post:
To get Air Suspension with M packaged 40i or not?
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1686765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Depending on how you or your wife personally drive the vehicle and the road conditions here are my thoughts on suspension options from reducing roll angle to ride comfort:

Best handling in regards to significant reduction in roll angle:
1. Dynamic Handling Package (only available on M50i in USA) - includes Active Roll Stabilization, M rear differential, Adaptive M Professional
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level

Firm, sporty ride
1. Dynamic Handling Package
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level

Daily comfortable ride to long distance cruising
1. Air Suspension in Normal level
2. Air Suspension in Sport level
3. Tied - Adaptive M or DHP

Adjustable ride height and cargo loading flexibility
1. Air Suspension

Wife's daily driver with 22"
1. Air suspension in Normal or Sport level
2. Adaptive M

Note all of the following suspension options include Electronic Damper Controls - Sport+, Sport, Comfort, Adaptive and Individual.

My daily 32 mile commute includes local roads, congested highways, and scenic curvy back roads. Majority of the commute, I'll dial in Adaptive EDC, air suspension set to Sport level and destination set. With that the EDC utilizes navigational data to automatically adjust suspension dampening and your driving style. There's a thread in the main forum that covers this:

Adaptive mode the most comfortable https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1685781

The primary purpose of air suspension is to maintain a constant vehicle position through self-leveling and ride-height control. The ground clearance can be adjusted using the rocker switch on the center console. And to make it easier to load the car, you can also select Loading Level using a button in the center console or luggage compartment. The byproduct of maintaining constant vehicle position is ride comfort.

TLDR; hope this helps on a $150 option!

Oddly entertaining video review that was posted in the main forums but skip to time stamp 11:12

__________________
Current BMWs - '20 X5 xDrive40i M Sport, '20 BMW M550i | Past BMWs - '03 540iT M Sport, '06 E53 4.8is, '11 E70 M Sport LCI

Appreciate 1
Infosec76.50

      09-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #17
awesoM
Private First Class
43
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5 45e and 2017 330e
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Richmond VA

iTrader: (0)

HK Sound is no B&O... but it is MUCH better than the stock HiFI Audio. I picked up a 45e over the weekend, but it did not have HK. Reason I bought it vs a regular 40i with HK was bc of the $7500 tax rebate. I am looking at getting the speakers replaced with something else. Granted the sound is better than systems a few years ago, but not much to write home about.

The air suspension is standard on the 45e, this generation of X5 feels more plush, having the ability to make the ride stiffer in sports mode is nice. I would definitely get it as an option if you can.
__________________
07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e
What can I say.. we took the BMW drug and never looked back!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:07 AM   #18
Infosec
Lieutenant
United_States
77
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: X5
Join Date: May 2013
Location: US of A

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
I have an extensive write up here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...02&postcount=5

Original post:
To get Air Suspension with M packaged 40i or not?
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1686765
Nice write up! thanks for the link and Info.

Q. For these below scenario's.

Best handling in regards to significant reduction in roll angle:
1. Dynamic Handling Package (only available on M50i in USA) - includes E Active Roll Stabilization, M rear differential, Adaptive M Professional
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level

Firm, sporty ride
1. Dynamic Handling Package
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level

Does this mean that Air Suspension #3 will only be active in Sport mode and Adaptive M Suspension will be active all the time? or Now Air Suspension 2VR override Adaptive M suspension in all the driving mode?

Will I have the option to switch back and forth between Air Suspension or Adaptive M Suspension?


$150 is steal for the Air Suspension. I will txt my Sales Manager tomorrow to add it to the order.

Here is the updated build.

2021 X5 xDrive40i
View standard features
This is a configurator. Option and package combination limitations may apply to your selection. For more information, consult your local dealer.
Order Now
Print Overview
Base MSRP
2021 X5 xDrive40i
$61,700
Design
M Sport
$5,750
Exterior
Arctic Grey Metallic
$550
20" M Star-spoke bi-color wheels, style 740M with all-season run-flat tires

Interior
Ivory White Vernasca Leather

Fineline Stripe Brown High Gloss Wood Trim

Options
Parking Assistance Package
$800
Premium Package
$1,750
M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers
$650
2-axle air suspension
$150
Extended Shadowline Trim
$300
Front and Rear Heated Seats
$350
Heated Front Seats, Armrests & Steering Wheel
$250
Additional Costs
Destination & Handling
$995
Total Price (MSRP)
$73,245

Last edited by Infosec; 09-23-2020 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:03 AM   #19
TurtleBoy
Brigadier General
TurtleBoy's Avatar
1487
Rep
3,271
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infosec View Post
Does this mean that Air Suspension #3 will only be active in Sport mode and Adaptive M Suspension will be active all the time? or Now Air Suspension 2VR override Adaptive M suspension in all the driving mode?

Will I have the option to switch back and forth between Air Suspension or Adaptive M Suspension?
Getting air suspension replaces the Adaptive M suspension. The air suspension is always active, he was placing ranking the feel of each and saying that the air suspension in sport mode would slot there.
Appreciate 2
Auricom1589.00
Infosec76.50

      09-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #20
Auricom
Colonel
Auricom's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,128
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infosec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
I have an extensive write up here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=5

Original post:
To get Air Suspension with M packaged 40i or not?
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1686765
Nice write up! thanks for the link and Info.

Q. For these below scenario's.

Does this mean that Air Suspension #3 will only be active in Sport mode and Adaptive M Suspension will be active all the time? or Now Air Suspension 2VR override Adaptive M suspension in all the driving mode?

Will I have the option to switch back and forth between Air Suspension or Adaptive M Suspension?


$150 is steal for the Air Suspension. I will txt my Sales Manager tomorrow to add it to the order.
All X5/6 suspension options are active all the time.

Optioning 2VR 2-axle air suspension will replace Adaptive M Suspension (uses steel springs and shocks) that is included with M Sport Package with air suspension struts.

Mmm how to better explain this.

Software Program
In general all X5/6/7s have Driving Experience Control: Comfort, Sport, Sport + (not on 45e), Sport Individual, Adaptive, Eco-Pro, Eco-Pro Individual. Think of DEC as driving and ride programming presets which affect driving dynamics of your vehicle: engine, transmission, steering, suspension and IAS (if optioned). The presets are activated by pressing the switches alongside the transmission shifter.

Air suspension adds an additional controller, ride height, and works in conjunction with DEC or manual override. You can set the DEC and air suspension to automatically adjust or you can set the DEC to Comfort and manually set air Suspension to Sport level. This gets into another larger discussion into DEC Sport and Eco-Pro Individual. I'll have to locate the link where I get into more detail.

Air suspension, Adaptive M and Adaptive M Pro suspension has their own software tuning the above DEC programs.

Software to Hardware Controller
Selecting one of the DEC presets signal the Electronic Damper Controller that's connected to each shock (steel or air) on how to dampen the ride.

In the case for vehicles with air suspension, the DEC presets also signals the Electronic Ride Height Control (EHC) on what level to maintain the vehicle ride height.

Hardware
Then you have the suspension hardware:
1. Steel springs and struts for standard, Adaptive M, and Adaptive M Pro
2. Air springs and struts for Air suspension

Enclosed is a visual of the suspension options:
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current BMWs - '20 X5 xDrive40i M Sport, '20 BMW M550i | Past BMWs - '03 540iT M Sport, '06 E53 4.8is, '11 E70 M Sport LCI

Appreciate 1
Infosec76.50

      09-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #21
Infosec
Lieutenant
United_States
77
Rep
496
Posts

Drives: X5
Join Date: May 2013
Location: US of A

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
All X5/6 suspension options are active all the time.

Optioning 2VR 2-axle air suspension will replace Adaptive M Suspension (uses steel springs and shocks) that is included with M Sport Package with air suspension struts.

Mmm how to better explain this.

Software Program
In general all X5/6/7s have Driving Experience Control: Comfort, Sport, Sport + (not on 45e), Sport Individual, Adaptive, Eco-Pro, Eco-Pro Individual. Think of DEC as driving and ride programming presets which affect driving dynamics of your vehicle: engine, transmission, steering, suspension and IAS (if optioned). The presets are activated by pressing the switches alongside the transmission shifter.

Air suspension adds an additional controller, ride height, and works in conjunction with DEC or manual override. You can set the DEC and air suspension to automatically adjust or you can set the DEC to Comfort and manually set air Suspension to Sport level. This gets into another larger discussion into DEC Sport and Eco-Pro Individual. I'll have to locate the link where I get into more detail.

Air suspension, Adaptive M and Adaptive M Pro suspension has their own software tuning the above DEC programs.

Software to Hardware Controller
Selecting one of the DEC presets signal the Electronic Damper Controller that's connected to each shock (steel or air) on how to dampen the ride.

In the case for vehicles with air suspension, the DEC presets also signals the Electronic Ride Height Control (EHC) on what level to maintain the vehicle ride height.

Hardware
Then you have the suspension hardware:
1. Steel springs and struts for standard, Adaptive M, and Adaptive M Pro
2. Air springs and struts for Air suspension

Enclosed is a visual of the suspension options:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. It makes sense now Air Suspension replaces Adaptive M Suspension and how it works.

Going back to the ranking for use cases below. Does this ranking means that Adaptive M Suspension is #2 (take precedence over Air Suspension) when it comes to best handing, reduction to roll angle and sporty ride (different use cases)

Best handling in regards to significant reduction in roll angle:
1. Dynamic Handling Package (only available on M50i in USA) - includes E Active Roll Stabilization, M rear differential, Adaptive M Professional
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level

Firm, sporty ride
1. Dynamic Handling Package
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #22
Auricom
Colonel
Auricom's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,128
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infosec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
All X5/6 suspension options are active all the time.

Optioning 2VR 2-axle air suspension will replace Adaptive M Suspension (uses steel springs and shocks) that is included with M Sport Package with air suspension struts.

Mmm how to better explain this.

Software Program
In general all X5/6/7s have Driving Experience Control: Comfort, Sport, Sport + (not on 45e), Sport Individual, Adaptive, Eco-Pro, Eco-Pro Individual. Think of DEC as driving and ride programming presets which affect driving dynamics of your vehicle: engine, transmission, steering, suspension and IAS (if optioned). The presets are activated by pressing the switches alongside the transmission shifter.

Air suspension adds an additional controller, ride height, and works in conjunction with DEC or manual override. You can set the DEC and air suspension to automatically adjust or you can set the DEC to Comfort and manually set air Suspension to Sport level. This gets into another larger discussion into DEC Sport and Eco-Pro Individual. I'll have to locate the link where I get into more detail.

Air suspension, Adaptive M and Adaptive M Pro suspension has their own software tuning the above DEC programs.

Software to Hardware Controller
Selecting one of the DEC presets signal the Electronic Damper Controller that's connected to each shock (steel or air) on how to dampen the ride.

In the case for vehicles with air suspension, the DEC presets also signals the Electronic Ride Height Control (EHC) on what level to maintain the vehicle ride height.

Hardware
Then you have the suspension hardware:
1. Steel springs and struts for standard, Adaptive M, and Adaptive M Pro
2. Air springs and struts for Air suspension

Enclosed is a visual of the suspension options:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. It makes sense now Air Suspension replaces Adaptive M Suspension and how it works.

Going back to the ranking for use cases below. Does this ranking means that Adaptive M Suspension is #2 (take precedence over Air Suspension) when it comes to best handing, reduction to roll angle and sporty ride (different use cases)

Best handling in regards to significant reduction in roll angle:
1. Dynamic Handling Package (only available on M50i in USA) - includes E Active Roll Stabilization, M rear differential, Adaptive M Professional
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level

Firm, sporty ride
1. Dynamic Handling Package
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level
Suspension selection is purely subjective - select the one for your needs. Some owners who've opted for Air Suspension notice a "floaty" sensation when driving in Comfort and selecting Sport (lowering the suspension) doesn't reduce that sensation enough for them. Ideally you'll want to drive one with and without air suspension.

The outline is purely subjective based on my driving and I think I'm saying the same as the use case outlined above. Not particular clear on what your expectations are for the ride and handling of your X5.

If your priority is a sport ride and handling then stick with Adaptive M suspension. If you like comfortable ride with ride height versatility then go with air - air gives up a small amount of handling due to air springs and struts don't react as fast standard steel springs and struts.
__________________
Current BMWs - '20 X5 xDrive40i M Sport, '20 BMW M550i | Past BMWs - '03 540iT M Sport, '06 E53 4.8is, '11 E70 M Sport LCI

Appreciate 1
GrussGott10889.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST