BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #67
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Rest of world is 45mph according to BMW Video on the lights. Not saying you are incorrect, but what is your source out of curiosity?

Thanks.

I don't think that is correct. Everything we have seen says the laser lights for the X5 kick on at 37 mph.

From the manual:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #68
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Lasers definitely brighter and quite a bit more distance. Very nice euro spec would be better?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #69
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

So explain something to me. I have a US spec 2016 F80 with car and LED lights coded to euro standards. They are awesome. The single best feature. I think they add a huge level of safety at night. Basically driving with great high beams with holes poked on other cars not to blind them.

So if I get a new BMW such as an M5 with laser lights and do no coding, How would that compare with my 2016 F80 with coded LED?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #70
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
So explain something to me. I have a US spec 2016 F80 with car and LED lights coded to euro standards. They are awesome. The single best feature. I think they add a huge level of safety at night.

So if I get a new BMW such as an M5 with laser lights and do no coding, How would that compare with my 2016 F80 with codes LED?
4 times brighter but the beam pattern and accuracy are significantly better. The actual source of the laser light is significantly brighter.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #71
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Laser Lights US in action

Quote:
So explain something to me. I have a US spec 2016 F80 with car and LED lights coded to euro standards. They are awesome. The single best feature. I think they add a huge level of safety at night. Basically driving with great high beams with holes poked on other cars not to blind them.

So if I get a new BMW such as an M5 with laser lights and do no coding, How would that compare with my 2016 F80 with coded LED?
The F90 M5 doesn't have a laser light option so no you can't. The next generation M5 will in a few years. No one can come US laser lights yet unfortunately. I hope they get approved for full functionality soon. In their current form, laser lights still make a huge difference in normal usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Rest of world is 45mph according to BMW Video on the lights. Not saying you are incorrect, but what is your source out of curiosity?

Thanks.

I don't think that is correct. Everything we have seen says the laser lights for the X5 kick on at 37 mph.

From the manual:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Quote:
A much better example with same area....led and laser (this was specially set for demo....otherwise it is LED only until over 45 mph).

BMW on left LED (first pic) and BMW with Lasers on right.
I need to revisit the high beam/laser lights again tonight! On another thread i posted, my high beam was so bright i thought my laser kicked on! its similar to the photos you provide, but I wasnt going 37mph. i swear it lid up the dark street. I was driving alone, so didnt want to try to take pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
A much better example with same area....led and laser (this was specially set for demo....otherwise it is LED only until over 45 mph).

37mph actually, and my point was to show the actual path of light nothing more. Where are you guys getting this craziness from about my post? I never intended for it to show their true potential only that yes they work and go further in a more direct manner

Thanks.

see what someone else posted above. It's definitely 37mph ,you can see the difference.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #72
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Sounds like laser only activates in some conditions when using high beams. If so, likely would not be used (much) in all city driving? We have street lighting pretty much everywhere here.
That's the reason I did not chose to try and modify an overseas pair a year or so ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #73
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The F90 M5 doesn't have a laser light option so no you can't. The next generation M5 will in a few years. No one can come US laser lights yet unfortunately. I hope they get approved for full functionality soon. In their current form, laser lights still make a huge difference in normal usage.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

From the manual:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Quote:

I need to revisit the high beam/laser lights again tonight! On another thread i posted, my high beam was so bright i thought my laser kicked on! its similar to the photos you provide, but I wasnt going 37mph. i swear it lid up the dark street. I was driving alone, so didnt want to try to take pics.

Quote:
Quote:

37mph actually, and my point was to show the actual path of light nothing more. Where are you guys getting this craziness from about my post? I never intended for it to show their true potential only that yes they work and go further in a more direct manner

Thanks.

see what someone else posted above. It's definitely 37mph ,you can see the difference.
If I believed everything posted on forum......

Well anyway. Just like post above you quoted that states they laserlights were not approved in USA.

Regardless, if it's in manual, that's conformation enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #74
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Well anyway. Just like post above you quoted that states they laserlights were not approved in USA.

What? are you serious? They 100% work but in a lesser way. There's no anti-dazzle and the output is slightly less. Regardless the laser lights shine further and are brighter than normal Full LED headlights. This isn't some made up 'forum stuff' if I had a proper was to record it at night and show the functionality I would've done so.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #75
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

How is the lume and function of the BMW Laser lights even debatable? It’s well documented how much brighter they are even in their US spec.
It is a superior lighting system and the future of automotive headlights.
The value of a brighter more focused headlight or not is left to the comsumer.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-15-2019 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 10:56 PM   #76
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What? are you serious? They 100% work but in a lesser way. There's no anti-dazzle and the output is slightly less. Regardless the laser lights shine further and are brighter than normal Full LED headlights. This isn't some made up 'forum stuff' if I had a proper was to record it at night and show the functionality I would've done so.
You better reread what I referenced.

If everything people on forum are swearing by were true, most n55 owners would have already moved in mass to the B58 HPFP retrofit. As it is, now only the cheap ricers of last decade who have now moved to BMWs attempted this folly.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #77
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
How is the lume and function of the BMW Laser lights even debatable? It's well documented how much brighter they are even in their US spec.
You two clearly need to reread sober.

No one made the point you are arguing.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:30 AM   #78
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
How is the lume and function of the BMW Laser lights even debatable? It's well documented how much brighter they are even in their US spec.

Maybe if I had a few drinks it would make more sense. In the US they work at around and above 37mph as is obvious while driving. There is no debating whether or not such lights exist either. Maybe I'm too tired for this sort of thing right now
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 01:38 AM   #79
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Actually, this comparison was between a Xenon HID headlight on the left vs i8's laser light on the right.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4479.50
      04-16-2019, 09:15 AM   #80
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe if I had a few drinks it would make more sense. In the US they work at around and above 37mph as is obvious while driving. There is no debating whether or not such lights exist either. Maybe I'm too tired for this sort of thing right now
You are the only person who somehow believes I stated they don't exist.

Geez.

I can see further posts are ridiculous as you clearly are not reading what I Actually post and making up what you think I said.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #81
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Yup. This is 10000000000% true

High beams with or without lasers are not good to use to cut thru fog.

Our GLE 350 Benz has no fog lamps like all modern Benz vehicles and it is horrendous to near impossible to drive safely in foggy weather.

This is one reason why I want to get an X5 when the GLE350 lease ends this Fall.
I'm glad BMW kept the fog lamps but sad that off road ability is now a $4000 premium package option. A key point of buying or leasing these guzzlers is in case a zombie apocalypse breaks out they offer you the ability to escape into the deep woods. That and the occasion winter ski/summer hike weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
No offense to the OP but the pictures aren't accurate to what the lasers can or cannot do. Reason I say that is because in fog, high beam is worse and will get reflected by the fog causing glare and won't travel nearly as far. Fog lights (usually beamed low, as well as low beams, travel farther in fog due to their height / angle.

https://info.kaltire.com/high-beams-...ng-conditions/

Last edited by delmarco; 04-16-2019 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #82
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:

I still can't believe I, like most of us, are confused in every way possible here.

My last nugget of confusion is this. Are the following statements true?

In EUROPE and THE WORLD Laserlight IS THE low beams and also the high beams (with LEDs being the DRLs on Laserlight package cars) . So you get in your car and Laserlight comes on with the low beams being turn on.

In the USA where Laser is illegal...Laserlight is never the low beam function and Laserlight is ONLY a supplementary back up for the automatic high beams above 37mph. So you get it your car and led low beams turn on. Then when you hit speeds above 37mph depending on conditions Laserlight ONLY turns on with the high beams turning on.

Lending to the confusion is the fixtures themselves.
Assuming the laser function on Laserlight fixtures is not a coded feature and a physical part inside the housing there must be like three fixtures for the G05 X5:
1. The LED Fixtures (WORLD/USA),
2. The LED-Low Beam/Laserlight-High Beam fixture (USA),
3. The Laserlight Low Beam/High Beam fixture (EUROPE/WORLD)

So someone can tell me if any of the above is true or not.

Thanks

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 04-16-2019 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #83
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are the only person who somehow believes I stated they don't exist.

Geez.

I can see further posts are ridiculous as you clearly are not reading what I Actually post and making up what you think I said.
I was going by the above mentioned if we believed everything on the forum like (I'm not going to requote) it seems we are at an impasse and I'm happy leaving this as is and forgetting the situation
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #84
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Quote:

I still can't believe I, like most of us, are confused in every way possible here.

In EUROPE and THE WORLD Laserlight IS THE low beams and also the high beams (with LEDs being the DRLs on Laserlight package cars) . So you get in your car and Laserlight comes on with the low beams being turn on.

In the USA where Laser is illegal...Laserlight is never the low beam function and Laserlight is ONLY a supplementary back up for the automatic high beams above 37mph. So you get it your car and led low beams turn on. Then when you hit speeds above 37mph depending on conditions Laserlight ONLY turns on with the high beams turning on.

Assuming the laser function on Laserlight fixtures is not a coded feature and a physical part inside the housing there must be like three fixtures for the G05 X5:

So someone can tell me if any of the above is true or not.

Thanks
This applies to the laser lights for the record.

there is 1 housing: all that changes is the coding. There is no laser low beam only a high. It doesn't dazzle on coming motorist because of the way BMW shifts the light around cars by physically moving the lens. I can check real OEM to confirm part numbers if you'd like.
Appreciate 1
bichoo280.50
      04-16-2019, 01:27 PM   #85
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

See the bold for my understanding of what you are asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post

In EUROPE and THE WORLD Laserlight IS THE low beams and also the high beams (with LEDs being the DRLs on Laserlight package cars) . So you get in your car and Laserlight comes on with the low beams being turn on. This is false. Laser lights are only ever used for high beams no matter where.

In the USA where Laser is illegal...Laserlight is never the low beam function and Laserlight is ONLY a supplementary back up for the automatic high beams above 37mph. So you get it your car and led low beams turn on. Then when you hit speeds above 37mph depending on conditions Laserlight ONLY turns on with the high beams turning on. Laser lights are legal in the US. What has not been approved yet is the anti-dazzle feature. The public comment on that ended in December so hopefully soon that feature will be allowed. Laser lights are used in addition to LEDs in high beam over 37mph

From what has been reported here there are three fixtures but not the ones you mentioned. 1. LED Fixtures, no cornering lights. (US and Canada?). 2. LED fixtures with cornering lights. (Australia, UK and Europe?) 3. Laser Lights (Worldwide)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #86
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
See the bold for my understanding of what you are asking.
There are 3 laser fixtures after some research.

European
Chinese
North American

No idea the true differences in these, it could be warning labels or something dumb for all we know. For what it's worth the code designation is identical on all of them globally.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #87
BMWasia
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36,Ford Explorer.

Hi, new here first post .

Have the G05 30d for a month now with standard BMW led. If ever I buy a laser headlight the whole assembly will it be plug and play on th 30d?. We only have 30d variants with Leds. Wanting the laser lights .

Thank you for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #88
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Maybe it's just me but I don't see much of a difference in these pics. I know fictionally the laser is 4x brighter but not seeing it here. Maybe it's the fog or whatever is blinding a bit of the capability. Oh well.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0