BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #111
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Of course you change the coding. That's same as changing the FDL coding within the cafd.

It is changing or manipulate OEM software, vehicle flagged.
The coding says if X = TRUE then do this, if X = FALSE than do that. All you do when you edit an FDL is changing the value of X - you literally do not change any coding at all. BMW writes one software to encompass their global market - each market has certain parts of the code disabled. Simply enabling the code is not changing it - you're just telling it to run when otherwise it wouldn't.

We're just talking circles at this point. My point is, if my VIN gets flagged for something as petty as wanting my turn signal to blink 5 times instead of 3, or wanting ASS to remember it's previous setting vs always being on, then I know where I stand with BMW and I'll be just as happy driving a MB the next go around. These tweaks have zero impact on the performance of the car or it's reliability.
Appreciate 3
LexxM31697.50
VipinLJ1936.50
      09-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #112
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Facts this is no different from going on your iPhone and downloading an app that allows you to get custom fonts on your keyboard. If the C class Benz can have 64 color options I don't see why bmw has all these colors as options out the factory
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #113
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
The coding says if X = TRUE then do this, if X = FALSE than do that. All you do when you edit an FDL is changing the value of X - you literally do not change any coding at all. BMW writes one software to encompass their global market - each market has certain parts of the code disabled. Simply enabling the code is not changing it - you're just telling it to run when otherwise it wouldn't.

We're just talking circles at this point. My point is, if my VIN gets flagged for something as petty as wanting my turn signal to blink 5 times instead of 3, or wanting ASS to remember it's previous setting vs always being on, then I know where I stand with BMW and I'll be just as happy driving a MB the next go around. These tweaks have zero impact on the performance of the car or it's reliability.

Well, just go with the Daimler if you don't like the terms and conditions. I'm sure they will survive...
Appreciate 1
maher116.00
      09-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #114
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casone238 View Post
Facts this is no different from going on your iPhone and downloading an app that allows you to get custom fonts on your keyboard. If the C class Benz can have 64 color options I don't see why bmw has all these colors as options out the factory
Really???
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #115
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
While this forum software is a bit stale and buggy, particularly mobile, I love the IGNORE function here.
      09-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #116
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casone238 View Post
Nah, Apple sanction is different than if you jail break. I think BMW would be crazy to go hard on people who code ambivalent lighting but if they want they can make it a hassle without decline warranty work
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #117
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
While this forum software is a bit stale and buggy, particularly mobile, I love the IGNORE function here.
I agree. I am not going to waste my time responding.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #118
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Thanks for taking your time explaining this procedure!
It worked from the first attempt
      09-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #119
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

That's cool. Bimmerpost featured my DIY!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:07 AM   #120
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricfracfrank View Post
Can this be done in the x3?
Yes, but I would need to decode the second step library.

Last edited by 130FeetDeep; 09-04-2020 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:39 AM   #121
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
Quote:
Can this be done in the x3?
Yes, but I would need to decide the second step library.
Do it!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #122
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do it!
Can you get me screen shots of the file with a check mark in the "LIC_LCI_COLOR_PROFILES_DATA" folder. That a screen show of the data in that folder. I can help you from there.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 08:23 AM   #123
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Do it!
Can you get me screen shots of the file with a check mark in the "LIC_LCI_COLOR_PROFILES_DATA" folder. That a screen show of the data in that folder. I can help you from there.
Yes I'll try without the next few days
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #124
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Can you try adding perwinkle?

F97 X3M doesn't seem to have the same capability of adding in custom colors as the G05. We just get these colors options.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #125
polunin86
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Obviously it goes without saying, but proceed at your own risk. You take the responsibility when you choose to code your car.

That said, I have wanted to change the ambient lighting in my vehicle for a while but didn’t have the time until recently to dig. After spending some time in the code and looking at what the G20 guys have been able to do, I was able to decode the color scheme for the G05 and change the colors and combination of colors on my truck. This can be done with Bimmercode. Unfortunately, I haven’t figured out how to change the i-drive labels, so you would need to remember the combos.

*Note... for anyone creating custom colors, you should not use any HTML hex code with the value FF. Substitute FE for the FF part of the HTML hex code and it will look exactly the same but won’t affect the overhead splash LEDs that shine on the shifter area.
Good day!
Today I tried it, but in my folder: 360A LicLciColorLibrary gives: no result. I'm coding through UniScan 2000. What could be wrong? Thank!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:13 AM   #126
Mmilani
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by polunin86 View Post
Quote:
Obviously it goes without saying, but proceed at your own risk. You take the responsibility when you choose to code your car.

That said, I have wanted to change the ambient lighting in my vehicle for a while but didn't have the time until recently to dig. After spending some time in the code and looking at what the G20 guys have been able to do, I was able to decode the color scheme for the G05 and change the colors and combination of colors on my truck. This can be done with Bimmercode. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to change the i-drive labels, so you would need to remember the combos.

*Note... for anyone creating custom colors, you should not use any HTML hex code with the value FF. Substitute FE for the FF part of the HTML hex code and it will look exactly the same but won't affect the overhead splash LEDs that shine on the shifter area.
Good day!
Today I tried it, but in my folder: 360A LicLciColorLibrary gives: no result. I'm coding through UniScan 2000. What could be wrong? Thank!
I managed to change the bronze color to red but can't change the combo to blue over red.

When I change byte 3 from 0x0 to 0x1 what I get is red over red.

can anyone help please? What am I doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:04 AM   #127
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmilani View Post
I managed to change the bronze color to red but can't change the combo to blue over red.

Sounds like you also changed blue to red. Can you verify that you still have blue?

Remember there is the library assignments and the profile assignments. Profile assignments only point to the library assigned HTML colors.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:40 AM   #128
Mmilani
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like you also changed blue to red. Can you verify that you still have blue?

Remember there is the library assignments and the profile assignments. Profile assignments only point to the library assigned HTML colors.
Yes I still have blue and blue white and the rest all work normally.

How do I find out which byte to change.

I think my library assignments are fine. I just can't seem to figure out the profiles.

Oh I must add Im doing this on a G07. Can this be the reason why byte 3 is doing doing the trick?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:56 PM   #129
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I still have blue and blue white and the rest all work normally.

How do I find out which byte to change.

I think my library assignments are fine. I just can't seem to figure out the profiles.

Oh I must add Im doing this on a G07. Can this be the reason why byte 3 is doing doing the trick?
My guess is the profile assignments on the G07 are different. The easy way to figure it out is make detailed notes with pics then change one of the profile assignment values (green /green) and code. Check the green / green in I drive and not what changed. Do that for all profiles and you will crack the table.

I changed one at a time then changed it back to what it was stock first. Once I had the entire assignment down, then I customized what I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #130
koosflowers
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Quote:

That said, I have wanted to change the ambient lighting in my vehicle for a while but didn’t have the time until recently to dig. After spending some time in the code and looking at what the G20 guys have been able to do, I was able to decode the color scheme for the G05 and change the colors and combination of colors on my truck. This can be done with Bimmercode. Unfortunately, I haven’t figured out how to change the i-drive labels, so you would need to remember the combos.

Specifically, I wanted to get rid of the bronze colors because I hate them and turn that category red. I also wanted to create a ///M scheme with red/blue combo and the reverse blue/red. The color scheme unfortunately is different on the G05 versus other models, so it took some trial and error to make it work. Anyway, here is how you do it.

1. How to change the stock colors of ambient lighting.

— Start Bimmercode as usual and enter the BDC controller. This is a big module so it can take a little while to load.

— Next, enter Expert Mode at the bottom of the app. This will give you access to the needed areas of the module.

— You first will enter the 360A LicLciColorLibrary.

— Then click the LIC_LCI_COLOR_LIBRARY_DATA folder.

— Navigate to the GO5G06_Lichtpaket_code1 packet. Note, this should have a check next to it. Highlight it and click the custom values down bottom to enter into the bytes section that needs to be modified.

— The original RGB HEX code for our trucks are the same as all other vehicles. This is how the stock colors are listed.

White - 90, E0, 90
Bronze - D7, 6E, 14
Orange - 93, 1A, 01
Blue - 00, 20, FE
Green - 10, FE, 32
Lilac - 78, 3C, FE

Remember, I wanted to add red, so we need to know that RGB HEX code:

Red - FE, 00, 00

Since I wanted to change the bronze to red, I replaced the bronze values at bytes 33, 34, 35 then 38, 39, 40 and finally 43, 44, 45 to red. That means the D7 value is changed to FE, the 6E is changed to 00, and the 14 is changed to 00.

One trick that you need to know is that you click the value you want to change, then hit the backspace button on the ykeyboard down bottom then enter the new value. Basically what you did is change bronze to red. Obviously this practice can work with any color you want to replace as long as you know the new RGB HEX code.

— Once those values are changed, you are ready to move on to assigning colors to the menu.

2. Changing what ambient light combo the idrive menu will activate.

— Once the new colors are assigned, you find yourself back in the prior menu that is BDC Module -> Expert Coding. From here, enter the 360DLicLciColorProfiles file.

— Navigate to the LIC_LCI_COLOR_PROFILES_DATA folder.

—The file you will be editing is the G05G06_Lichtpaket_code1 which should already be selected. If not, select it and go to the bottom and click custom value.

This actually got a bit complicated for me because the G05/6 color assignments are different than the G20. After a lot of trial and error, here is what I found each assignment means...

00 - White
01 - Blue
02 - Bronze (now red for me)
03 - Orange
04 - Green
05 - Lilac

You can go through each byte and see the combos that the i-drive is displaying. Example... byte 0 is displaying Bronze on the bottom of the dash and byte 1 is displaying Bronze on the top of the dash. Since I already changed those colors to red in step 1, those now will show red ambient lighting.

— I wanted to create a custom ///M red/blue and blue/red so I chose to assign the bronze/white and green/white for these. If you choose to do that, then change byte 3 from 00 to 01 creating a blue over red look.

To create the red over blue look in the “Green/White” I-drive menu item, change byte 16 from 04 to 01 and byte 17 from 00 to 02.

— Now you are ready to code everything. Once you code it, all the changes will take. Bronze menu items will now all show red ambient lightning, bronze/white will show a blue over red, and green/white will display red over blue.

Results:

The work is very easy and will apply to any colors you want to assign. Again, work at your own risk.

EDIT: Updated HTML hex code for red to avoid a BMW glitch.

*Note... for anyone creating custom colors, you should not use any HTML hex code with the value FF. Substitute FE for the FF part of the HTML hex code and it will look exactly the same but won’t affect the overhead splash LEDs that shine on the shifter area.
Thank you!
Attached Images

12-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #131
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 2021 X5

Great amount of thanks to this post!

This is so cool.
Thank you!
130FeetDeep
My good sir, do you know if it is possible to increase the brightness of the lower strip of light? (the strip that is indirect lighting, below the AC controll buttons)

I sat the brightness to 100% in iDrive but the lower strip still appears to e dimmer than the upper one. I understand maybe that's just the nature of the indirect lighting approach..but it could be possible that it is not pumping full current to the lower strip by design...

I did see there is some keys that have "brightness" in their names from the Export Mode...maybe that provides some clue?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 11:19 PM   #132
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzuki View Post
This is so cool.
Thank you!
130FeetDeep
My good sir, do you know if it is possible to increase the brightness of the lower strip of light? (the strip that is indirect lighting, below the AC controll buttons)

I sat the brightness to 100% in iDrive but the lower strip still appears to e dimmer than the upper one. I understand maybe that's just the nature of the indirect lighting approach..but it could be possible that it is not pumping full current to the lower strip by design...

I did see there is some keys that have "brightness" in their names from the Export Mode...maybe that provides some clue?

Thank you!
I have not discovered brightness controls for specific lighting strips. I can try to snoop around, but I am less active on the forums. I found some members know-it-all attitude to be a turn off and just don’t really post here that much anymore.
Appreciate 0