BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-08-2020, 04:28 AM   #1
MadSpirit
New Member
Estonia
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X1, X5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Front suspension noise over bumps

Hi all!
Has somebody experienced such clacking noise (on both sides) when going over bumps? My car is 1 month old and dealer can’t (or don’t want) find source of the problem. Car on springs.
Thank you!

Videos...


Last edited by MadSpirit; 08-09-2020 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: 2nd video added, type of suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 05:17 AM   #2
Prancing Cow
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: -
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Appenzell

iTrader: (0)

Try taking it to a different dealer - should still be covered by warranty.

Best case, something is wrong with the shocks/coils. But that would be somewhat unlikely given that you report to hear the sound on both sides.

Worst case, they forgot some screws and something loose is bumping up and down whenever you go over a speed bump.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
MadSpirit
New Member
Estonia
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X1, X5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prancing Cow View Post
Try taking it to a different dealer - should still be covered by warranty.

Best case, something is wrong with the shocks/coils. But that would be somewhat unlikely given that you report to hear the sound on both sides.

Worst case, they forgot some screws and something loose is bumping up and down whenever you go over a speed bump.
The problem is that we have one dealer here in Estonia. :/
They checked everything, no loose parts. They even changed my right shock absorber (at least they say so), but no results. Could it be loose stabiliser bar, because of sound on both sides? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Colonel
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
1029
Rep
2,107
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpirit View Post
The problem is that we have one dealer here in Estonia. :/
They checked everything, no loose parts. They even changed my right shock absorber (at least they say so), but no results. Could it be loose stabiliser bar, because of sound on both sides? Thanks.
Did your dealer acknowledge that they heard the noise? Did they acknowledge that it is not normal? If so, they have to continue working on it until they find and fix it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
MadSpirit
New Member
Estonia
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X1, X5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Did your dealer acknowledge that they heard the noise? Did they acknowledge that it is not normal? If so, they have to continue working on it until they find and fix it.
Yes.
They say that donít know if itís normal or not. Donít know exact reason and how to fix it. Thatís why Iím looking for technical advise or experience using coil suspension.
By my opinion comparing sounds from rear and front suspension, it is definitely not normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #6
Auricom
Colonel
Auricom's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,128
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Shocks sound fine, can hear the compression and decompression. First time seeing BMW style 736 - 20" wheels

Not sure of the clack sound that's coming from the front. Is it only apparent with bumps?

Beyond recording, has your dealer try any troubleshooting? Reseating wheel on hub; checking wheel bolt tightness; check the strut mounting points...
__________________
Current BMWs - '20 X5 xDrive40i M Sport, '20 BMW M550i | Past BMWs - '03 540iT M Sport, '06 E53 4.8is, '11 E70 M Sport LCI

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
James_G0530d
Lieutenant
Australia
230
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 G05 30d M Sport A/Grey
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

It always astounds me how fast people go over speed humps.

Don't get me wrong, I hate those damn things - they're are the most annoying and destructive things put on the road for cars, however they are a reality, they're not going to go away any time soon, and their purpose is to slow you down.

So do yourself a favour, go over them at or below the recommended speed limit (usually < 20km/h, but depends on the height of the speed hump), and save your car from costly suspension damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #8
MadSpirit
New Member
Estonia
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X1, X5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Shocks sound fine, can hear the compression and decompression. First time seeing BMW style 736 - 20" wheels

Not sure of the clack sound that's coming from the front. Is it only apparent with bumps?

Beyond recording, has your dealer try any troubleshooting? Reseating wheel on hub; checking wheel bolt tightness; check the strut mounting points...
Thank you.
It’s only on speed bumps, no sound on rough surface or normal roads.
I’m waiting for official list of works from dealer to know exactly what they did during inspection/repair, because it took whole day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
It always astounds me how fast people go over speed humps.

Don't get me wrong, I hate those damn things - they're are the most annoying and destructive things put on the road for cars, however they are a reality, they're not going to go away any time soon, and their purpose is to slow you down.

So do yourself a favour, go over them at or below the recommended speed limit (usually < 20km/h, but depends on the height of the speed hump), and save your car from costly suspension damage.
Usually I don't drive fast over bumps , but need to make suspension travel to replicate noise.
I have this problem from the first day I’ve got my car, found in few hours after left dealer on my new car.

Last edited by MadSpirit; 08-09-2020 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
Marty in NY
Colonel
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
1029
Rep
2,107
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpirit View Post
Yes.
They say that donít know if itís normal or not. Donít know exact reason and how to fix it. Thatís why Iím looking for technical advise or experience using coil suspension.
By my opinion comparing sounds from rear and front suspension, it is definitely not normal.
Do you have air suspension? If so, does it make the noise under all air suspension settings? In listening to your video, I am not sure I hear any 'abnormal' noise which is why I asked if the dealer heard it and why they thought, sorta hard to tell and are you saying that the only time you hear it is when going over speed bumps at a rather brisk speed?
You could alway go back to the dealer and take out their demo car and go over speed bumps and listen.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
MadSpirit
New Member
Estonia
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X1, X5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Do you have air suspension? If so, does it make the noise under all air suspension settings? In listening to your video, I am not sure I hear any 'abnormal' noise which is why I asked if the dealer heard it and why they thought, sorta hard to tell and are you saying that the only time you hear it is when going over speed bumps at a rather brisk speed?
You could alway go back to the dealer and take out their demo car and go over speed bumps and listen.
Springs, not air. Yes, had same idea, but dealer’s demo cars are all on air. It not depends on speed, but clacks when front suspension travels a lot, goes up and down, even at very low speed. Speed bumps the most simple way to show it. Speed on video is about ~10km/h.

Last edited by MadSpirit; 08-09-2020 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #11
Tenac
Captain
Tenac's Avatar
461
Rep
930
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Comp, BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

This sounds normal for the amount of travel. You might be bottoming out the shock or springs. I don't have speed bumps anywhere near by to test out a comparison.
__________________
2021 X5M Comp
2019 X3 M40i
2017 Magnum X1
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #12
mitch57
Captain
251
Rep
680
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Although you're not cornering the ticking sound does seem to have similar characteristics with the following SIB. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...74009-9999.pdf.

I suggest you ask your dealer to at least take a look at this as a possible cause of the ticking sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:34 AM   #13
timmahh
ghey
timmahh's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
1,737
Posts

Drives: ViertŁrigen Fahrzeugs
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (1)

Hi OP - I have heard this too in mine. Almost sounds like something is broken or loose. Only occurs above a certain speed (but I haven't done any specific tests - just ah that's weird, and if I'm going slow, no sound). I would say I'm going an appropriate speed for speed humps, certainly under the 25 mph limit.
__________________
20 G05 > 17 G30> 14 F30 > 08 E90
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #14
MadSpirit
New Member
Estonia
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X1, X5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
This sounds normal for the amount of travel. You might be bottoming out the shock or springs. I don't have speed bumps anywhere near by to test out a comparison.
Not even close to their limits. What is confusing me - no compression sound in front. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Although you're not cornering the ticking sound does seem to have similar characteristics with the following SIB. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...74009-9999.pdf.

I suggest you ask your dealer to at least take a look at this as a possible cause of the ticking sound.
Will forward to dealer, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Hi OP - I have heard this too in mine. Almost sounds like something is broken or loose. Only occurs above a certain speed (but I haven't done any specific tests - just ah that's weird, and if I'm going slow, no sound). I would say I'm going an appropriate speed for speed humps, certainly under the 25 mph limit.
I will continue my tests on other road surfaces. 2 weeks till my 3rd visit to dealer... queues here. Soon I will get report from dealer about first inspection and repair, will post information here.
Can somebody please test their car if possible?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #15
javapro
New Member
5
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2018 Lexus RX 450h
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

How do you get 736 style rims? I don't see it an an option for 45e in the US.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #16
Auricom
Colonel
Auricom's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,128
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
How do you get 736 style rims? I don't see it an an option for 45e in the US.
Not available for USA market. Available for international markets as an option or OEM winter wheelset.

BMW LA wheel star spoke 736 - 20"
36116883753

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...iX/ECE/36_2519

Name:  36_2519.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  59.7 KB
__________________
Current BMWs - '20 X5 xDrive40i M Sport, '20 BMW M550i | Past BMWs - '03 540iT M Sport, '06 E53 4.8is, '11 E70 M Sport LCI

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #17
Caramel
Private First Class
80
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike
Join Date: May 2020
Location: brussels

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
How do you get 736 style rims? I don't see it an an option for 45e in the US.
LOL, believe it or not, but there are individuals list of options for each country. For BMW, the US is one of the markets with the fewest options available, but also one of the markets with the lowest MSRPs.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:25 AM   #18
MadSpirit
New Member
Estonia
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X1, X5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpirit View Post
Hi all!
Has somebody experienced such clacking noise (on both sides) when going over bumps? My car is 1 month old and dealer canít (or donít want) find source of the problem. Car on springs.
Thank you!

Videos...

Finally everything is fixed and no more clacking noise 😃
In short... no defects found, dealer dismantled all parts of front suspension and tightened everything. Basically car was poorly assembled at factory.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bump, front suspension, noise

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST