BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2023, 09:35 AM   #1
bimmerwhale
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Digital Key Plus and Car Theft

I don't think this is covered in previous DKP discussion posts.

Will you guys be concerned if you forget your phone in a Starbucks or restaurant? Whoever picks up the phone can now walk to the parking lot to drive away your car? Or someone intentionally steal iPhones to get a new car?

I usually keep my key fob with my other keys and never have lost them once. But I am afraid I have numerous occasion where I had to go back to a shop to get my iPhone that I forgot on the chair.

Please talk some sense to me. I need PEACE of mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 09:41 AM   #2
ltoda2nd
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90, 12 E70, 22 G05 45e

Attach your iphone to your keys?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
emmix007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Last Sunday I did just that....forgot my phone aka car key in the charging tray . Got lucky..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 10:22 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you left your phone in an establishment and it has the capability of starting your car...unless the person that would pick up your phone and NOT turn it in saw what vehicle you got out of...how would they know to walk to your BMW to start it?

In regard to leaving the remote fob or phone inside the car...why aren't you locking your car when you leave it? I always lock my car unless it is in my garage...so if I were to accidentally or unintentionally leave my remote (or phone if I had that set-up) inside the car...when I go to lock the vehicle...I would quickly discover that I've left it behind.

But obviously, if you've selected to use lock when you walk away...you've also given up some personal safety verification by assuming the car is going to do what you expect it to do...and could miss the fact the vehicle didn't lock. (I would not select this feature, personally...because of the lessened lock-verification)...I have no problem pressing the CA ridges to physically lock the vehicle while I'm near the car...or press the button on the remote.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 12:38 PM   #5
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Disable the feature so that your phone won't start the car.

Problem solved.

I think it's a neat feature, but since my (wife's) car one day decided that the phone was no longer privileged, and the BMW NFC card as well, and didn't recognize either of them, I no longer trust them.

Heck, even fobs aren't foolproof, but I trust it more than the newer technology.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 02:12 PM   #6
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Car theft via DK seems less likely than car theft via key fob. You can lose either one just as easily, and at least your phone doesn't have a BMW logo on it with a button that activates the horn so the thief can easily figure out which vehicle it goes to.
      09-15-2023, 02:52 PM   #7
machop
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Don’t have my idrive 8 yet. But for Tesla I added a security code. Small inconvenience gave me piece of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 03:17 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you left your phone in an establishment and it has the capability of starting your car...unless the person that would pick up your phone and NOT turn it in saw what vehicle you got out of...how would they know to walk to your BMW to start it?
as seen here on my lock screen, double-clicking the power button reveals all applicable cards in my Apple Wallet including the Digital Key to my 45e. no passcode or Face ID required. someone could have this setting enabled. I personally don’t but enabled it for illustration purposes that someone could find out easily
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 03:19 PM   #9
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Autowatch Ghost.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 03:21 PM   #10
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
as seen here on my lock screen, double-clicking the power button reveals all applicable cards in my Apple Wallet including the Digital Key to my 45e. no passcode or Face ID required. someone could have this setting enabled. I personally don’t but enabled it for illustration purposes that someone could find out easily
Double clicking the power button shouldn’t just open your wallet. It should authenticate with FaceID BEFORE showing your cards/wallet. If you have it set to anything different then you’re just asking for trouble.
Appreciate 3
mojoJJ263.50
cdhowell127.50
tooloud10766.50
      09-15-2023, 03:36 PM   #11
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Turn off Express Mode.

https://faq.bmwusa.com/s/article/FAQ...anguage=en_US#
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      09-15-2023, 04:18 PM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
Double clicking the power button shouldn’t just open your wallet. It should authenticate with FaceID BEFORE showing your cards/wallet. If you have it set to anything different then you’re just asking for trouble.
the level of access you are talking about isn’t the same as what I’ve shown with that particular setting

with the setting “double-click side button” enabled, it will show the list of keys/cards in the Wallet without any authentication, but one can’t open them to see their details or use them without authentication (Face ID, passcode). the exception is if the owner enabled Express Mode for the Digital Key where access is granted without Face ID or a passcode.

I already said I don’t have that setting enabled, but just enabled it to show that list by double-clicking the side button, one could see the list in the Wallet including the Digital Key and the specific vehicle for it. I’m willing to bet some people have it enabled for the convenience, but yeah, it’s a higher security risk
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 04:19 PM   #13
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

Quote:
with the setting “double-click side button” enabled, it will show the list of keys/cards in the Wallet without any authentication, but one can’t open them to see their details without authentication (Face ID, passcode)
No, it won’t. That’s a pretty serious security flaw if it did. Even with double click enabled, you’ll still need to passcode/faceID from lock screen to open wallet and see the list of cards. I just tried it a bunch of times and it always asked for faceID. Obviously you have to have your phone locked (and cover faceID camera) to test.

Tested on iPhone 12 pro max iOS 16.x.x
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      09-15-2023, 04:25 PM   #14
whynotme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 xDrive 40i

Don't you have to unlock your phone for the digital key to operate? If not, that's just a huge reason to disable the feature.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 04:28 PM   #15
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoJJ View Post
Quote:
with the setting “double-click side button” enabled, it will show the list of keys/cards in the Wallet without any authentication, but one can’t open them to see their details without authentication (Face ID, passcode)
No, it won’t. That’s a pretty serious security flaw if it did. Even with double click enabled, you’ll still need to passcode/faceID from lock screen to open wallet and see the list of cards. I just tried it a bunch of times and it always asked for faceID. Obviously you have to have your phone locked (and cover faceID camera) to test.

Tested on iPhone 12 pro max iOS 16.x.x
are you certain? go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay > enable Double-Click Side Button

I have iPhone 14 Pro on iOS 16.6.1

after enabling this setting, when I double-click the power button, my Wallet list shows up, and the Face ID icon is ‘looking’ for me (I blocked the camera and angled the phone’s screen away from me). if I click on any key or card, nothing happens, but name for all the keys/cards are seen
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 04:29 PM   #16
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
Don't you have to unlock your phone for the digital key to operate? If not, that's just a huge reason to disable the feature.
Express Mode allows you to use the Digital Key with authenticating with Face ID or a passcode
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 04:30 PM   #17
bimmerwhale
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
You only need to have the phone in your pocket and within a few steps away from the car , the car will unlock automatically.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 04:31 PM   #18
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
are you certain? go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay > enable Double-Click Side Button

It might be a iPhone thing then. I have all these settings enabled. With my phone locked, I cover the whole top sensor camera array and double click side button, I get a message saying “FaceID to Open Wallet”.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      09-15-2023, 04:33 PM   #19
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoJJ View Post
Quote:

It might be a iPhone thing then. I have all these settings enabled. With my phone locked, I cover the whole top sensor camera array and double click side button, I get a message saying “FaceID to Open Wallet”.
I’ll try it on my son’s iPhone 12 and report back
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 04:36 PM   #20
bimmerwhale
Enlisted Member
Rep

I opened the Wallet and clicked "i" on top right of the BMW card.
There is an option called "Passive Entry" I can switch off.
When it's off, it will "You can still use this car key by holding your iPhone near the reader and using Face ID or passcode"
I will try to use this on my car and see if now it requires FaceId to unlock the car.
Feel much safer that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 04:37 PM   #21
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’ll try it on my son’s iPhone 12 and report back
Ok I found the problem. There’s an additional setting under “face Id and passcode” which would allow wallet to be opened without face ID. I guess better to keep that setting disabled for security.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4656.00
      09-15-2023, 04:41 PM   #22
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwhale View Post
I opened the Wallet and clicked "i" on top right of the BMW card.
There is an option called "Passive Entry" I can switch off.
When it's off, it will "You can still use this car key by holding your iPhone near the reader and using Face ID or passcode"
I will try to use this on my car and see if now it requires FaceId to unlock the car.
Feel much safer that way.
So with passive entry enabled, the car will unlock as you’re approaching, without the need to take your phone out of your pocket. This is based on BT and UWB. With passive entry disabled, you’ll have to take the phone out and tap on the door handle, this work with NFC; it still doesn’t require face ID or passcode. If your phone ever runs out of battery, you can still unlock by tapping it on the door handle for up to 5 hours (I think).
Appreciate 0