08-23-2021, 07:39 PM   #89
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
For those that think theirs works, do you get notification when a car is approaching or when it's behind you? On my other suv, I get notification when a car is approaching (not in my view yet) which I think is the way it's supposed to work. On this G05, I have never got such notification. I do get notification when an object is directly behind me. I feel that's more from PDC.
I was about to ask the same question. On my Lexus RX the RCTA would alert me once I put the car in reverse and there is a car approaching from any of two sides before I could even notice it coming. It mostly would happen in parking lots. I must say it was overly aggressive and sometimes would slam the brakes even when the approaching car was quite far away. It even kept alerting me and slamming the brakes because of a running exhaust fan behind and to the right of my parked car in my parking garage so I had to disable RCTA every time I pulled out of my parking spot (I guess it thought it was a moving car).

I haven’t gotten a single RCTA alert on my G05 yet in my 7 months of owning the car. So, how is RCTA supposed to work in a G05? Is it supposed to alert you to a car approaching form a side once you start moving and before you even notice the car?

Auricom, TurtleBoy, nZtiZia - waiting for your input.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #90
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G05 40i

Mine actually came on a couple times when reversing out of a parking spot and there is a car approaching from one side, the sound is totally different to the backup sensor sound, its more like a beeping siren sound. It is very noticeable when it comes on and immediately gets my attention. Would say it works pretty well (on par with my previous Q7), i have my rear auto brake turned off because it keeps preventing me from entering my tiny garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #91
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
I was about to ask the same question. On my Lexus RX the RCTA would alert me once I put the car in reverse and there is a car approaching from any of two sides before I could even notice it coming. It mostly would happen in parking lots. I must say it was overly aggressive and sometimes would slam the brakes even when the approaching car was quite far away. It even kept alerting me and slamming the brakes because of a running exhaust fan behind and to the right of my parked car in my parking garage so I had to disable RCTA every time I pulled out of my parking spot (I guess it thought it was a moving car).

I haven’t gotten a single RCTA alert on my G05 yet in my 7 months of owning the car. So, how is RCTA supposed to work in a G05? Is it supposed to alert you to a car approaching form a side once you start moving and before you even notice the car?

Auricom, TurtleBoy, nZtiZia - waiting for your input.
I have not got a single notification on mine either and hate to bring you-know-what brand into the conversation because some can get triggered so easily. But yes, like you, my other suv's detect cars well before I even see them in my view. And I think that's how it's supposed to work. I almost got hit the other day. That was why I brought back this thread and see if there's any change. I personally don't think you should turn it off on your other suv.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #92
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

A

Quote:
I have not got a single notification on mine either and hate to bring you-know-what brand into the conversation because some can get triggered so easily. But yes, like you, my other suv's detect cars well before I even see them in my view. And I think that's how it's supposed to work. I almost got hit the other day. That was why I brought back this thread and see if there's any change. I personally don't think you should turn it off on your other suv.
I have never seen it either. Although I guess I need to check my idrive settings to make sure its turned on, if you even have to do that....
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #93
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

I just wish there was a way for me to test this first-hand without like...risking an accident
Appreciate 1
john1200c238.50
      08-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #94
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I finally got an alarm. Just one alarm in a parking lot pulling out backwards. I tried to reproduce it under similar conditions and it didn't go off, although I’m sure it wasn’t precisely the same. However, what I did in the test should have alarmed in my opinion.

I still don’t trust it very much. It’s nothing like my previous car that would beep and give me ample and PREDICTABLE warnings.

Last edited by Frenetic; 08-24-2021 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #95
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
I don’t have the RX anymore. In any case, I had to keep turn the RCTA on it before pulling out of my parking spot and turn the RCTA back on right after, otherwise it would keep slamming the brakes mistaking a running exhaust fan for a moving car.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #96
gfm1958
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxchief View Post
DO NOT buy the driver assistance professional package as it is a waste. We did because the rear cross traffic alert is important to us. We were unable to get it to work and the dealer told us the surround camera had to be on for it to work. (Wrong) This is opposed to what the BMW manual and video shows. (it is supposed to turn on whenever in reverse) I called BMW North America and they informed me that they have had lots of complaints regarding the cross traffic alert, so they contacted the engineers in Spartanburg where the X5 is made. The engineers informed them that the cross traffic will only alert the driver when a crash is imminent! What good is that? This is also not what the BMW video showed (it has now been taken down). Our experience is that it has only alerted us ONCE and that is when a semi was about 2 feet from our bumper. This should be labeled the "you are about to be in a crash" alert system as it will not give you sufficient warning to avoid most vehicles. The Lexus system was so much better.
Have similar issue with cross traffic alert not working. Last 10 days vehicle was at the dealership having this checked out. Am told that it is working per design/specs. Compared to my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the BMW system is a piece of junk...have had several close calls backing out of driveway, parking lots, etc. No notifications/alerts on screen. Ditto for audible/beep. Didn't think to check out system before purchase...assumed that new technology would work as well as, if not better, than the Jeep. I was wrong. BMW needs to devote resources to this issue and owners need to post complaints with the Department of Transportation, Consumer Reports, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #97
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
^^^^ Why this matters. Last summer on a pitch black driveway at night, I was moving my daughter out of her dorm. Another student pulled up behind me on the passenger side and parked me in - while we were bringing down the last box. I got in, started my X5 and put the car in reverse. Yes, I ignored the PDC audible alarms - because they go off every time I back out of my garage - so I've been conditioned to ignore them. At about 2 MPH I closed the 2 ft of distance and managed to do $1200 worth of damage to my car and $1800 of damage to the student's. My fault all day long. But the technology in the X5 was MORE (WAY MORE) than capable of preventing this and - it's why we buy these cars... for the technology that prevents human error. Except it didn't.

I have myself to blame but it stings.
Did you have auto braking disabled?

My G30 will brake automatically when it thinks I'm going to hit an object. It can make parallel parking in some very tight spaces quite jarring as the car will apply full brakes to make sure you're not hitting the other car under any circumstances. I expect that should have stopped you in this case (but you can turn that portion off).

I know this is over a year after your post, but if I had your driveway I think it would be easier to temporarily turn off and turn back on Intelligent Safety to prevent you from drowning out the alerts.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #98
10101X5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Did you have auto braking disabled?
I have it on. I think I go in and out about the same with very minimal differences. I get red alert all the times. On its bad days, it would break when I back out. On a normal days, it's just fine. Some days it doesn't beep at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #99
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
I have it on. I think I go in and out about the same with very minimal differences. I get red alert all the times. On its bad days, it would break when I back out. On a normal days, it's just fine. Some days it doesn't beep at all.
I just watched a video on this. From the video I saw you have to have the camera on to make it work. Is that still true? Even if pulling out forward?

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:35 PM   #100
IFlyX5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 s40i, '22 X5 x45e

I have the Volvo XC90 and their Cross Traffic Alert system is much, much better than BMW
      09-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #101
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
I just watched a video on this. From the video I saw you have to have the camera on to make it work. Is that still true? Even if pulling out forward?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's correct.

Based on the owner's manual, the cross traffic warning, both front and rear, is automatically engaged when the following conditions are met:
* System is activated (obviously)
* PDC or Panorama View is active
* Either Drive or Reverse gear is engaged

By definition, PDC includes both the beeping from the sensors as well as the display. I'm assuming this means the display has to be on for cross traffic alerts to work.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 01:14 PM   #102
10101X5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post

I think he's talking about incoming traffic. For backing out, putting in R OR pressing the Parking Camera will activate the system. I think we can conclude that this RCTA does not work on our G05. I find it's pathetic on BMW's part.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 01:31 PM   #103
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think he's talking about incoming traffic. For backing out, putting in R OR pressing the Parking Camera will activate the system. I think we can conclude that this RCTA does not work on our G05. I find it's pathetic on BMW's part.
I can confirm it does appear to be working on mine. When backing out of my driveway it alerts me as cars are approaching, and will intervene by braking when I get too close.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      09-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #104
Trek4ward
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
I finally got an alarm. Just one alarm in a parking lot pulling out backwards. I tried to reproduce it under similar conditions and it didn't go off, although I’m sure it wasn’t precisely the same. However, what I did in the test should have alarmed in my opinion.

I still don’t trust it very much. It’s nothing like my previous car that would beep and give me ample and PREDICTABLE warnings.
I had the same experience. It went off pulling out in a parking lot with a car coming from the passenger side. A few days later I was in the exact same situation and nothing. I'll not be trusting this system. My Acura MDX was much more responsive to rear and front cross traffic.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #105
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

If I put my hitch bike rack on and forget to put it in “Trailer Mode” it definitely warns and applies the brakes (hard) because of the object in close proximity to the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #106
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
I have a 2019 X5 loaded and a 2021 330 (G20). The G20 works perfectly in braking if it comes close to hitting something. Good thing as my daughter drives it. My Jeep Grand Cherokee is also flawless at braking. I've never had the X5 brake for anything. It's been a disappointment considering the X5 costs $20k more than the two.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 08:58 PM   #107
Koenig1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Count me in as another disappointed customer... Last week, backing out of a Costco parking spot, one of those 5%-ers decided to beat my reversing and skip across my rear end. He was 6 inches from getting pressed! No alarm, just a yellow warning on the screen from my right side after he passed the side(left to right), after I braked??? Wife was returning the cart to the 'cart park' and returned to the car giving me shit! I depend on my eyes scanning rearward, not the screen, when reversing, but at Costco, there's always one who thinks he's more important! Drove over to the dealership.... works as designed???? WTF! After many tests, the car will stop abruptly 3" from impact.... not sure which is less safe, the whiplash, or taking another out?
... shakes head.....!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 01:51 AM   #108
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
I have a 2019 X5 loaded and a 2021 330 (G20). The G20 works perfectly in braking if it comes close to hitting something. Good thing as my daughter drives it. My Jeep Grand Cherokee is also flawless at braking. I've never had the X5 brake for anything. It's been a disappointment considering the X5 costs $20k more than the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig1 View Post
Count me in as another disappointed customer... Last week, backing out of a Costco parking spot, one of those 5%-ers decided to beat my reversing and skip across my rear end. He was 6 inches from getting pressed! No alarm, just a yellow warning on the screen from my right side after he passed the side(left to right), after I braked??? Wife was returning the cart to the 'cart park' and returned to the car giving me shit! I depend on my eyes scanning rearward, not the screen, when reversing, but at Costco, there's always one who thinks he's more important! Drove over to the dealership.... works as designed???? WTF! After many tests, the car will stop abruptly 3" from impact.... not sure which is less safe, the whiplash, or taking another out?
... shakes head.....!
I agree 100%. My 2021 Mazda CX-5 smokes my X7 in cross traffic alerts/braking and cost less than half of what the BMW cost. Pure garbage in this department. BMW should be ashamed of themselves for implementing such a worthless safety feature.
Appreciate 1
WeryPert1104.50
      09-22-2021, 05:43 AM   #109
Trek4ward
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

I noticed on my way to work today that I get the normal red car in the heads up display if I follow a bit too close to the car ahead of me, but when that person ahead of me suddenly stops for unknown traffic ahead and I get within a few feet, I get nothing...NOTHING!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 06:01 AM   #110
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

True.
This feature does not work.

Use your eyes and senses.

BMW sucks.
Appreciate 0