05-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #155
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
I have mine in production right now, delivery in July, and with 22 inch 742M jetblack wheels. I'm curious it will have the damping blocks. Probably the first thing I will check or maybe the leather wrinkly
Wrinkly leather???
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #156
palmerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X540i M-Sport

Dropped X5 with 22" M Double Spoke 742 on Pirelli P-Zeros yesterday at Rusnak BMW in Thousand Oaks and spent time with the advisor driving 3 tests. We drove a 3mi route included blacktop, freeway and concrete pavement.

1. My X5. We drove and I pointed out the loud humming noise. Service advisor clearly heard the noise and agreed it was not normal.

2. X5 M50i with 22" Contis on 742 Rims. (see pic below) That had the dampeners factory installed. Noticed a huge reduction in noise compared to my X5, yet was still able to hear the vibration on a few occasions.

3. X5 40i on 21" rims. Noticed a huge reduction in noise compared to my X5, yet was still able to hear the vibration on a few occasions.

MY loaner X5 is on 20" rims with dampeners... and I would say its also 80% reduced from my X5, but still there.

The BMW NA Tech came over yesterday afternoon to review car and drove as I delivered it... then they installed dampeners (that he brought with him - shipped from the factory line in SC.). Test drove with substantial reduction in vibration noise, per a call with my service advisor. I have NOT driven my car yet, but hope to get it back today and will give you my thoughts. The BMW Tech sent out from Corporate said that ALL X5s should have these installed. My advisor also said they are investigating some issues perhaps with the Conti tires too... I'll try to get more info. That being said, I'll be back with more info and try to get contact info so you can get them added to your vehicle easily once BMW acknowledges that they are missing on a bunch of vehicles! Seems they are missing on x5 40i 22" M Double Spoke 742 as far as I can tell by walking the lot and talking to BMW.

Next update when I have my X5 back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Auricom4349.50
atl_1M1520.00
mcsa65.00
MystroX56247.50
ladra17.50
      05-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #157
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerman View Post
Dropped X5 with 22" M Double Spoke 742 on Pirelli P-Zeros yesterday at Rusnak BMW in Thousand Oaks and spent time with the advisor driving 3 tests. We drove a 3mi route included blacktop, freeway and concrete pavement.

1. My X5. We drove and I pointed out the loud humming noise. Service advisor clearly heard the noise and agreed it was not normal.

2. X5 M50i with 22" Contis on 742 Rims. (see pic below) That had the dampeners factory installed. Noticed a huge reduction in noise compared to my X5, yet was still able to hear the vibration on a few occasions.

3. X5 40i on 21" rims. Noticed a huge reduction in noise compared to my X5, yet was still able to hear the vibration on a few occasions.

MY loaner X5 is on 20" rims with dampeners... and I would say its also 80% reduced from my X5, but still there.

The BMW NA Tech came over yesterday afternoon to review car and drove as I delivered it... then they installed dampeners (that he brought with him - shipped from the factory line in SC.). Test drove with substantial reduction in vibration noise, per a call with my service advisor. I have NOT driven my car yet, but hope to get it back today and will give you my thoughts. The BMW Tech sent out from Corporate said that ALL X5s should have these installed. My advisor also said they are investigating some issues perhaps with the Conti tires too... I'll try to get more info. That being said, I'll be back with more info and try to get contact info so you can get them added to your vehicle easily once BMW acknowledges that they are missing on a bunch of vehicles! Seems they are missing on x5 40i 22" M Double Spoke 742 as far as I can tell by walking the lot and talking to BMW.

Next update when I have my X5 back.
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear your test drive indicated a reduction in sound. Hope that pans out to your car as wells I'm still waiting on my freakin parts to arrive so I can test them out myself...

Also, interesting about the contis/ Be sure to keep us updated on if you hear anything about them.

Glad this thread has become useful for a lot of us!
Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00
      06-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #158
palmerman
United_States
Rep

Picked up my X5 last night. Test drove with service advisor. While I found improvement with a reduction in humming sound due to dampeners, it certainly only reduced the problem... and did not correct it enough for me. As previously stated, I had a loaner X5 on 20" runflats that was nearly silent. So my next ask is going to try a couple of different rim sizes on my X5. 21" and 20". It's a bummer because the 22"s are striking and beautiful but still are causing too much humming. I'm just bummed that I'm leasing an $85k vehicle that I LOVE everything about, except for this flaw.

New Info: They have found that my rim configuration in the factory build didn't call for the dampeners to be installed on some vehicles, which is an error. BMW correcting this apparently.
Also the are finding that the Continental 22" are louder than the Pirellis and looking into that.

More to follow.
Appreciate 3
atl_1M1520.00
MystroX56247.50
      06-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #159
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Picked up my X5 last night. Test drove with service advisor. While I found improvement with a reduction in humming sound due to dampeners, it certainly only reduced the problem... and did not correct it enough for me. As previously stated, I had a loaner X5 on 20" runflats that was nearly silent. So my next ask is going to try a couple of different rim sizes on my X5. 21" and 20". It's a bummer because the 22"s are striking and beautiful but still are causing too much humming. I'm just bummed that I'm leasing an $85k vehicle that I LOVE everything about, except for this flaw.

New Info: They have found that my rim configuration in the factory build didn't call for the dampeners to be installed on some vehicles, which is an error. BMW correcting this apparently.
Also the are finding that the Continental 22" are louder than the Pirellis and looking into that.

More to follow.
Thanks for the update. I get my dampeners in today. Hoping they reduce the sound enough so that i don't think about it all the time! Seeing your note about them isn't encouraging but we will see. Also curious to hear if the pirellis provide a big enough improvement for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #160
palmerman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Thanks for the update. I get my dampeners in today. Hoping they reduce the sound enough so that i don't think about it all the time! Seeing your note about them isn't encouraging but we will see. Also curious to hear if the pirellis provide a big enough improvement for you.
My car delivered with Pirellis. Curious what you find today! Hit us back. Just had a morning drive hoping that I could live with the sound... but I can't.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #161
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My car delivered with Pirellis. Curious what you find today! Hit us back. Just had a morning drive hoping that I could live with the sound... but I can't.
So wait, you have the dampeners and pirellis and it's still too loud? I'm doomed then...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #162
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
P

I'm curious how my 45e will be delivered. I also have choosen the 742 22" rims.
Hopefully they resolved the error by now with dampers and Pirelli's.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #163
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I believe this is all going to be about degrees of what can you tolerate with road noise vs pure cosmetic. Its not like 20" is a small rim/tire combo. I am running it for a lot of reasons, mainly its a luxury SUV for me and has to perform as such in mixed weather and long road trip durability. I have no preconceived ideas a SUV will even be a track car.

Here is the 20"ers on my 50i M-Sport.

Appreciate 2
mcsa65.00
      06-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #164
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

Your pic above is one of my favorites of the G05 on bimmerpost
Appreciate 1
MystroX56247.50
      06-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #165
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Just got the dampener in. Attached is a pic for anyone wondering what it looks like up close. It's basically a big block of metal that must weigh several pounds each and the area surrounding the center washer is made of some rubber material.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Auricom4349.50
      06-02-2020, 11:25 PM   #166
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
The same vehicle had pirellis and Contis. The pirelli's were louder.

22's are going to have noise. They are small sidewall 22" tires. It will never be silent.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:49 AM   #167
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

22's are going to have noise. They are small sidewall 22" tires. It will never be silent.
Another reason why I went with 21" wheels/tires on my X7.

I also ordered my X7 with NON run flat all season tires. At my last service they gave me an X7 loaner with 21" run flat all season tires. I noticed the road noise and difference in ride quality immediately!

No 22" wheels/tires and no run flat tires for me. To each there own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:46 AM   #168
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

I know when I bought my car with 22" wheels I fully expected additional road noise. The combo of having large rims and UHP summer tires will do that. However, the noise that the OP is experiencing is abnormal, IMO. Mine certainly doesn't sound like that, which I'm thankful to be one of the lucky ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #169
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:

I know when I bought my car with 22" wheels I fully expected additional road noise. The combo of having large rims and UHP summer tires will do that. However, the noise that the OP is experiencing is abnormal, IMO. Mine certainly doesn't sound like that, which I'm thankful to be one of the lucky ones.
In my buddy's X5 the road noise would drown out the stereo which I think is unacceptable. But to expect an SUV with 22" wheels to be dead silent is an unreasonable expectation IMO. There's gonna be some amount of noise.

The issue here as I see it is the amount of noise, not the presence of noise. The dampers will certainly not eliminate the noise. You could add a lot of damping, noise reduction and noise cancelling devices but that would affect the driving dynamics by added weight.

In the end, my buddy is happy with the car now. If you play music at a reasonable volume you can't detect the road noise unless you really listen for it.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #170
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
In my buddy's X5 the road noise would drown out the stereo which I think is unacceptable. But to expect an SUV with 22" wheels to be dead silent is an unreasonable expectation IMO. There's gonna be some amount of noise.

The issue here as I see it is the amount of noise, not the presence of noise. The dampers will certainly not eliminate the noise. You could add a lot of damping, noise reduction and noise cancelling devices but that would affect the driving dynamics by added weight.

In the end, my buddy is happy with the car now. If you play music at a reasonable volume you can't detect the road noise unless you really listen for it.
Yes - Agree.

I just think we're conflating two different topics in this thread. Road noise vs the reverberation when you drive over expansion joints. The reverb issue seems like there's some kind of harmonic frequency at play - which the dampers will solve by changing the harmonic frequency of control arms.

I have 22" - driving around town I never notice road noise. Getting on the HWY going above 60ish you can hear it but the music mask it mostly.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #171
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes - Agree.

I just think we're conflating two different topics in this thread. Road noise vs the reverberation when you drive over expansion joints. The reverb issue seems like there's some kind of harmonic frequency at play - which the dampers will solve by changing the harmonic frequency of control arms.

I have 22" - driving around town I never notice road noise. Getting on the HWY going above 60ish you can hear it but the music mask it mostly.
I'm 100% with you. I expect road noise from the 22" wheels but not the drumming noise. Even my 1M on 19" wheels with a really harsh suspension has minimal road noise and zero drumming noise. I'm hoping to install the dampeners later today so will know soon whether the drumming is reduced enough to the low levels you describe.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #172
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Yes - Agree.

Totally agree, it also depends on road surface. After reading posts in this thread I checked and confirmed I have dampeners but still I can hear humming. I noticed that this noise is pronounced on motorways with cemented surface whereas it was very quite on newly laid out tar surface. Also, hardly noticed any noise with music playing.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #173
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes - Agree.

I'm 100% with you. I expect road noise from the 22" wheels but not the drumming noise. Even my 1M on 19" wheels with a really harsh suspension has minimal road noise and zero drumming noise. I'm hoping to install the dampeners later today so will know soon whether the drumming is reduced enough to the low levels you describe.
The reverberation will be reduced, won't be eliminated. If you drive an X5 with 21" wheels the same sound is there. You've gotta listen carefully for it.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #174
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

So I finally got a chance to install the dampeners and I have to say the improvement is quite significant!

It reduced the drumming sound by 50-80% depending on the road surface. Surprisingly, I noticed the most drastic improvement on the concrete highways (e.g., Highway 400 for those in Atlanta). What was a constant drumming sound, I now have to consciously try to listen for. There are however the typical asphalt roads that haven't been paved recently where the drumming is still a bit louder than I would expect. However, the drumming isn't as loud or constant as it was before. The dampener basically prevents the sound from reverberating constantly.

All in all, I'm very pleased and can finally enjoy the car. As a bonus, I just his the 1200 mile mark, so I was able to push it a little as well!

Thanks again to all of those who helped, especially bigjae1976 who found the solution.
Appreciate 4
bigjae19761566.50
Auricom4349.50
mcsa65.00
ladra17.50
      06-03-2020, 10:27 PM   #175
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
So I finally got a chance to install the dampeners and I have to say the improvement is quite significant!

It reduced the drumming sound by 50-80% depending on the road surface. Surprisingly, I noticed the most drastic improvement on the concrete highways (e.g., Highway 400 for those in Atlanta). What was a constant drumming sound, I now have to consciously try to listen for. There are however the typical asphalt roads that haven't been paved recently where the drumming is still a bit louder than I would expect. However, the drumming isn't as loud or constant as it was before. The dampener basically prevents the sound from reverberating constantly.

All in all, I'm very pleased and can finally enjoy the car. As a bonus, I just his the 1200 mile mark, so I was able to push it a little as well!

Thanks again to all of those who helped, especially bigjae1976 who found the solution.
Thanks for bringing the issue up. It helped my friend in dealing with BMW to have some more data.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 2
atl_1M1520.00
mcsa65.00
      06-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #176
palmerman
United_States
Rep

Having had my X5 back for a few days, I have to say, the dampeners are just not making that big a difference. As the conversation goes, I am finding a specific difference between "Tire Road Noise" v. "Vibration Humming". I'm fine with road noise, but this is not that, it's still a vibration humming in the cabin that's quite loud and hugely annonying. Like I said previously. My 20" loaner didn't have it. Pirelli breaks down the issue on this web page complete with a video and pictures.

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/...knowledge/pncs

Last edited by palmerman; 06-05-2020 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0