BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2023, 07:56 AM   #1
TheKandyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Question Digital Key with Google Wallet on Samsung phone - Is it possible?

Been using Digital Key with Samsung Wallet on my Samsung phone with no issues. Being a Samsung phone, Samsung Pay/Wallet are installed by default and the Digital Key pairing process uses them. Everything works well.

However, I want to move from Samsung Wallet to Google Wallet and Digital Key is my final hurdle. I have uninstalled Samsung Wallet and disabled Samsung Pay. I also installed Google Wallet and Google Pay. When I run the My BMW app and start the pairing process, it re-enables Samsung Pay and forces me to download Samsung wallet

Is there some way to get Digital Key to work on a Samsung phone with Google Wallet?
I am using a Galaxy S21 with Android 13.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 04:31 AM   #2
dpazz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Got the same problem and it's annoying as hell.

It's definitely anti-competitive by Samsung that they're effectively forcing us to use their Wallet software instead of being able to choose our own. Hopefully it gets enough complaints and traction that Samsung do something about it.

Been searching trying to find ways to prevent Samsung Wallet from installing but can't find one.

I'm in the UK and it's even more annoying as most of UK banks don't allow Samsung Wallet for card. So I've got it installed only to use it with BMW digital key.

I had a Pixel before my Samsung Galaxy and I had them all neatly in Google Wallet.

Last edited by dpazz; 12-19-2023 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
deejaynyc
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

I too am an Android user who normally only uses the Google wallet, rather than the Samsung wallet. However, in this instance, after beating my head against a wall with it for weeks, I punted and now keep the BMW digital key on the Samsung wallet. It's the only thing I have there.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 09:16 PM   #4
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I'm not an expert, but by way of a suggestion as a workaround, you could root the phone, install Titanium Backup and try the Freeze function to disable and hide the Samsung wallet. Once that's done, the Google wallet may work because the Samsung wallet is (theoretically) no longer 'seen' by the OS.. I've never tried it myself but it might be worth a shot.
Appreciate 0