BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #23
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinandwhat View Post
Just wish I have a BMW service department friend to come with me lol. I am honestly a below-average driver and do not know what to look for. From my 2 days on the G05 forum, Ive came up with the following to check:

1) suspension damper since it has 22' wheels
2) cornering light, which seemed to be fixed by a software upgrade
3) steering wheel column that does not extend or retract

Anything else to check in general? Especially some easy spot to check to see if it's got any aftermarket stuff?

Thanks for all the help everybody! I was actually looking at the Merc CLA35 and GLE, but the enthusiasm of bimmer forum got me back honestly. the Merc forum was kinda dead to me.
If was a lease no aftermarket will be there.

General inspection of paint and body, inside for damage... The big thing is to drive it on every mode. Ask to take it out for about 1 hr or so and really get to know it. Sell the well I live so far away if I'm buying today I want to drive it for awhile to test it out. Take it on highway, and side streets at all speeds. Stop park it check cameras make sure nothing stands out for your 3 hr ride home when you buy it. After that warranty everything that shows up!!
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #24
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post

General inspection of paint and body, inside for damage... The big thing is to drive it on every mode. Ask to take it out for about 1 hr or so and really get to know it. Sell the well I live so far away if I'm buying today I want to drive it for awhile to test it out. Take it on highway, and side streets at all speeds. Stop park it check cameras make sure nothing stands out for your 3 hr ride home when you buy it. After that warranty everything that shows up!!
Thats great advice. I always shy away for asking stuff even if i have the right lol. Will certainly stand up this time. Appreciate it man!
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      05-29-2020, 12:48 PM   #25
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post

+1 on what Tenac said. They may try to sell you add ons if you decide to buy it. Tire and wheel insurance, paint protection, interior leather protection, etc, etc. Who know's, maybe they are not CPO'ing the car in hopes to sell an aftermarket warranty as well. I don't know what the rules are on when a dealer can or cannot offer a CPO.

Spend as much time searching through this forum, making notes and asking questions as you can before going and don't shy away from printing some of the issues out and taking it with you as I guarantee you that once there, it will be very difficult to remember all you are learning here.

I would also get it in writing that if you buy it, they will install the latest level software for free before you take it off their lot. Hopefully someone here can chime in on what number that is but there is also a separate thread on that topic you can check out.

During your visit and before you test drive it, have their resident genius sit in the car with you and go over its iDrive menu so you know how its set. I'm sure whoever owned it before had it tweaked to their liking. This will also give you the chance to see if something doesn't work while you have them in the car with you.

Some of the silliest things can be overlooked that might cost you when you discover them once you are home. For instance, after reading through the "passed" two page CPO checklist on my car, I walked out to see it and took out my tire tread depth gauge only to find out that the two rear tires were at their absolute minimum tread depth. I had them replaced on the spot at no charge. I don't believe this was due to dishonesty, I believe they had a new tech measure them and he got confused at how to read the gauge, as simple as that.

The best of luck to you and I truly hope everything they are telling you is the truth because they know very well that once you leave their lot, you will not be returning for service so any issues they may not be revealing will be someone else's problem...know what I mean?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:04 PM   #26
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
+1 on what Tenac said. They may try to sell you add ons if you decide to buy it. Tire and wheel insurance, paint protection, interior leather protection, etc, etc. Who know's, maybe they are not CPO'ing the car in hopes to sell an aftermarket warranty as well. I don't know what the rules are on when a dealer can or cannot offer a CPO.

Spend as much time searching through this forum, making notes and asking questions as you can before going and don't shy away from printing some of the issues out and taking it with you as I guarantee you that once there, it will be very difficult to remember all you are learning here.

I would also get it in writing that if you buy it, they will install the latest level software for free before you take it off their lot. Hopefully someone here can chime in on what number that is but there is also a separate thread on that topic you can check out.

During your visit and before you test drive it, have their resident genius sit in the car with you and go over its iDrive menu so you know how its set. I'm sure whoever owned it before had it tweaked to their liking. This will also give you the chance to see if something doesn't work while you have them in the car with you.

Some of the silliest things can be overlooked that might cost you when you discover them once you are home. For instance, after reading through the "passed" two page CPO checklist on my car, I walked out to see it and took out my tire tread depth gauge only to find out that the two rear tires were at their absolute minimum tread depth. I had them replaced on the spot at no charge. I don't believe this was due to dishonesty, I believe they had a new tech measure them and he got confused at how to read the gauge, as simple as that.

The best of luck to you and I truly hope everything they are telling you is the truth because they know very well that once you leave their lot, you will not be returning for service so any issues they may not be revealing will be someone else's problem...know what I mean?
Definitely printing my list out. Thank you!
Appreciate 0