BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #23
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSanaii View Post
As everyone mentioned, defaulting to S-3 is my only grip as well as not having Park on gear lever. When you let your family members or anyone else drive the car, you have to 'teach' them how to use the DCT since it's not a regular 'automatic'. Also, ppl think it's just a regular auto and don't appreciate the technology behind it. Oh well, I'm the one who's driving the car .

I love the fact that in D, the shifts are smooth and still fast. You can't even feel anything. It's creepy... On aggressive settings like S-5, you can feel the 'surge' or 'jerkiness' that are presented in SMG's which gives you more sporty feeling of the car.
It's the best of both worlds.
In UK cars you can setup the M mode to either start on S1~5 or D1~5 mode that may be a way of getting round the always starting in S3 that US cars do if it works the same as over here.

Just a thought.

To activate hill hold you pull on both paddles when you come to a stop, this holds the car for about 5 seconds, very useful. Park only activates when the engine is turned off.
Appreciate 1
ZekeO4.50
      06-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #24
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Ultimate guide to M-DCT

This thread is for you members with DCT M3s to post comments on ownership with the newest most advanced transmission from BMW. Please post comments that not only explain what is exciting about living with the system but also what annoys you about the system, as after all this thread's purpose is to help would be customers pick the right transmission for them.

Feel free to write as little or as much as you like but please keep to the facts of what's good and bad and please put a summary of the plus and minus points at the end of each post.

Thanks for your support.

Footie.
here's the ultimate guide: put in gear, have a heavy lead foot on gas, then lift it and put it on brakes. done

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #25
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

i dont know what the big hooplah is about driving mdct and being able to eat a burger

first of all if youre eating and driving at the same time..youre an asshole and you deserve to crash .

second of all if you need an auto to eat and drive you obviously cant drive for shit, especially 6mt
      06-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #26
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
here's the ultimate guide: put in gear, have a heavy lead foot on gas, then lift it and put it on brakes. done

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #27
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
u know someone has to do it
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #28
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
i dont know what the big hooplah is about driving mdct and being able to eat a burger

first of all if youre eating and driving at the same time..youre an asshole and you deserve to crash .

second of all if you need an auto to eat and drive you obviously cant drive for shit, especially 6mt
well that's one point of view. But we do have bluetooth so we can talk on the phone and drive so it's the same thing but different.

The bigger issue is that the cup holders in the M3 can't hold a super size drink, come on that's a crime.

you can eat and drive with 6MT but it's harder and you can't eat ribs or steak etc.. (LOL). J/K
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #29
SimonW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BWM M3 mdct

Post MDCT

[QUOTE=footie;2738911]Ultimate guide to M-DCT

I am getting my new M3 - Jerez black and fox red interior in UK in about 3 weeks. Does the MDCT give joy or heart ache!?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 12:58 AM   #30
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Hate the lag... Its real bad. I cant wait until the 1200 miles is over so I can really drive it. I am scared of rolling back on steep hills because it freakn lags at take off
      06-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #31
Forsaken
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwprince4life View Post
Hate the lag... Its real bad. I cant wait until the 1200 miles is over so I can really drive it. I am scared of rolling back on steep hills because it freakn lags at take off
Yeah, the lag can be pretty annoying. Seems to be a little better with the sport/sport plus throttle settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #32
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Isn't that what hill brake assist is for? It's even on the manual models...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 05:26 AM   #33
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When you come to a stop on a hill you pull on both paddles and that activates hill assist which holds the car for about 5 seconds. If you can't pull away in that some due to traffic or what ever then pull on the handbrake, that's what it's there for.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #34
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
When you come to a stop on a hill you pull on both paddles and that activates hill assist which holds the car for about 5 seconds. If you can't pull away in that some due to traffic or what ever then pull on the handbrake, that's what it's there for.
Footie, hill assist is activated any time you press the footbrake. You do not need to pull the paddles. The car holds you for 2 seconds exactly whenever you take your foot off the brake, before it starts to roll backwards. If someone cant get away in 2 seconds then there really is no hope for them.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #35
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I was told to pull the paddles by the sales manager when he took me out for my first run in the DCT and it did hold the car for more than 2 seconds, maybe European cars are configged different.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #36
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
I was told to pull the paddles by the sales manager when he took me out for my first run in the DCT and it did hold the car for more than 2 seconds, maybe European cars are configged different.
Where do you think Ireland is?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #37
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
Where do you think Ireland is?
Sorry mate I didn't notice where you were from, I am so use to debating things with American I assumed you were one of them.

Don't know what to say, the saleman told me to pull both paddles to activate hill assist and I have to say that this worked.

Just wondering, how are you finding the lag on take off, is it the problem some here are making it out to be?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #38
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008

footie,

I have tried the hill assist brake method you have told us and it does not work for me.

Hmmm, even in the manual, it doesn't say anything holding both paddles.
      06-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #39
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSanaii View Post
footie,

I have tried the hill assist brake method you have told us and it does not work for me.

Hmmm, even in the manual, it doesn't say anything holding both paddles.

I am at a lose it's what I was told when I pulled off from their forecourt as the end of the entrance was on a hill. Unless with was actually happening was that you press the foot brake at the stop it was that which engauged the hill assist and not the paddles at all. I might be feeling stupid right now but I think the salesman should be the one feeling it more so because he had the car for a whole week before my drive and should have know how the thing works.

I will make sure to enlighten him the next time we speak.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #40
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Hill assist does work anytime you're on an incline and you put your foot on the brake, it has nothing to do with the paddles. If you need longer than 2 seconds, I recommend using your left foot to hold the brake until you're ready to press on the accelerator with the right foot.

Sounds like another situation where the salesmen don't know what they're talking about.
      06-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #41
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

I don't know what your issue is - I am driving in San Francisco daily and I don't even use hill assist, the lag, or in my opinion lag thereof, just takes some getting used to...it is a little bit like driving a manual and trying to get it to move on a steep hill :-)

I know I might get flamed for the next comment, but I am sure that some of it has to do with the drivers ability to drive
      06-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #42
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
I know I might get flamed for the next comment, but I am sure that some of it has to do with the drivers ability to drive
I agree 100%. What lag? Clutches need to engage smoothly from a stop. The "lag" just reminds me that DCT is actually working 2 clutches.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #43
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
The next person that types the word lag and DCT in the same sentence. One week LOL

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #44
seb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-DCT - Lotus Esprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
I don't know what your issue is - I am driving in San Francisco daily and I don't even use hill assist, the lag, or in my opinion lag thereof, just takes some getting used to...it is a little bit like driving a manual and trying to get it to move on a steep hill :-)

I like the "lag". Actually the lag is a myth created in this forum, that if I wouldn't have read about would have considered a smooth way the car takes off. When I want to go fast, well I push it.
Appreciate 0