BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-11-2023, 08:02 PM   #45
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
it's a nice feature to use, but one shouldn't rely on it. that said, it shouldn't cause anxiety. if it does, don't use it. if you don't trust it, so be it. i'm very picky when i'll use it, but i drive with it knowingly in the background. in the foreground, i'm the driver, not the vehicle. i'm an analytical person, so if it shows even one little hiccup, i evaluate "why" and whether to use it again or not

i used it from NYC to Va Beach this past Sunday night. if i were to compare it from the several other times i've driven that route, it was probably the smoothest, most comforting drive i've done on that stretch of road... even with all the po-po's out there trying to meet their quota on the holiday weekend...
Appreciate 1
Mattl0806996.50
      10-11-2023, 08:03 PM   #46
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
It’s a very straight forward and VERY logical statement to say if someone can’t do a simple thing well then why would you trust them with something that is 1000x more complicated. This is applied in business, running a company or LIFE decisions every single day when delegating responsibility to anyone else including yourself!

Leave the OP alone for this - its defensible. If DAP breaks - it would put someone in more danger than a key fob breaking. People have a right to share their concerns.
Appreciate 3
nZtiZia4735.50
hotvee141.00
tooloud10790.50
      10-11-2023, 08:06 PM   #47
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
it's a nice feature to have, but one shouldn't rely on it. that said, it shouldn't cause anxiety. if it does, don't use it. if you don't trust it, so be it. i'm very picky when i'll use it, but i drive with it knowingly in the background. i'm the driver, not the vehicle. i'm an analytical person, so if it shows even one little hiccup, i evaluate "why" and whether to use it again or not

i used it from NYC to Va Beach late Sunday night. if i were to compare it from the several other times i've driven that route, it was probably the smoothest, most comforting drive i've done on that stretch of road.
This is well said. Sorry I just didn’t appreciate the other post
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 08:20 PM   #48
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

You are ALWAYS the one in charge and responsible to take over if the technology has a problem. That is one reason why there's an attention camera, to verify that you're actually watching the road, and in many cases, also have at least one hand on the wheel so you can take over should the situation call for it. I use it regularly, and while it does have some quirks, they are understandable, and you can overcome the wheel to make it go where you want at any time. Had to do that once yesterday as there were some people in the roadway where the X5 wanted to keep it in its lane...a car parked behind the disabled one blocked the camera's view of the people.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 08:34 PM   #49
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
It’s a very straight forward and VERY logical statement to say if someone can’t do a simple thing well then why would you trust them with something that is 1000x more complicated. This is applied in business, running a company or LIFE decisions every single day when delegating responsibility to anyone else including yourself!

Leave the OP alone for this - its defensible. If DAP breaks - it would put someone in more danger than a key fob breaking. People have a right to share their concerns.
i mentioned this earlier, but DAP did "break" this past weekend when it wouldn't follow a curve on the highway at speed; it kept going straight, so i had to force the steering wheel against some resistance to get it back on course.

here's the thing, though: while i wasn't expecting it to behave this way, i had full control of the vehicle to react as quickly as i did. that's why i think most claimed "failures" result from users relegating the control to the vehicle. needless to say, whenever i do decide to use it, if i see a curve coming, i'm deactivating DAP, because in that scenario, i don't trust it, but i still trust it enough to use it in other situations under other conditions.

as an aside, maybe it's the location of the DAP buttons on the steering wheel that make operating it more intuitive as i'm a left-handed driver despite being right-handed. i wouldn't be surprised if some drivers are fighting left brain-right brain tendencies while driving. for me, the buttons are conveniently located that positioning my fingers on the steering wheel in anticipation of a maneuver is like operating my home theater remote control without looking

Last edited by nZtiZia; 10-11-2023 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 09:55 PM   #50
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

On my last trip, I decided to take the more scenic route across southern VT versus the easier, and faster (but longer - the shorter route with the opportunity to regen more often was more efficient) route across I90. The time I got on the road for the 400-mile trip, I would have been going through a couple of cities during rush hour closer to Boston, so that, in combination with the possible advantage of the shorter, but slower route, I chose that route. As it comes out, going through the hills, the road is nowhere as flat or straight, so there were numerous times when the computer asked me to take over as it crested a hill, or around a curve, or as the sun was at a low angle, the lighting was flakey, but still, I felt the assisted driving function was useful.

Your results may differ, but you DO need to be aware of what's happening, and with a little thought, it's not hard at all to recognize situations where the driving will need a little human intervention. I have had this now on two BMWs, so have some experience with how it works. I will say that each S/W update has made the whole thing smoother, so if you don't like it now, after the next S/W update, give it a try again to see how it evolves. My experience is that it keeps getting better. The first iteration was quite abrupt about lane changing, but now, is much smoother, and more like what I'd do versus maybe what the computer thought was best. It is, after all, software driven, and some of the data collected helps to improve the overall product IF you use it.
Appreciate 0