BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #67
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

From the back it truly looks like a vanilla Korean SUV.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #68
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
From the back it truly looks like a vanilla Korean SUV.
or a Honda product. I'm still waiting for the design to grow on me, will reserve final judgment until I see it in person.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #69
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Nothing amazing, too conservative for my taste, but it looks better than the current one, less boxee. Don't have any issues with the Kidney Grills besides for the "Butterfly" design, it doesn't work or look good with the current style.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 04:52 AM   #70
bavaria22
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
or a Honda product. I'm still waiting for the design to grow on me, will reserve final judgment until I see it in person.
I think seeing it in Person will make a big difference
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #71
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Tail Lights, Design

As with almost any discussion of design, there will always be lovers, haters and in-betweeners. Cool if you love blue, but don't expect everyone will love blue also.

I'm not a design professional, but I know enough about it to know that something can have "great design" and still be something that some people won't like.

I once engaged the services of an interior designer who crafted an amazing contemporary interior for me. In a space with odd angles, he saw possibilities I didn't and he created an environment that just worked, on many levels. Because he used proper design principles, not because he loved contemporary design. He told me when we were done that his preference was for styles as far away from contemporary as one could get.

Point being... need to distinguish between aesthetic preferences and good design.

With respect to the G05 tail lights, here's my take. The G05 has different exterior dimensions than its predecessors. Notably, it's wider. (Lower?) I believe the new tail light design proportionately fits the profile of the new vehicle dimensions better than would have the prior "L-shape" tail light design some have described as iconic to the X5. The L-shape design seems more appropriate to a boxier, proportionately-taller vehicle. While the new design may take cues from other marques, I believe *design-wise* it's a great fit and helps to visually widen the vehicle.

With respect to the *aesthetics* A careful look at them with the liftgate up reveals a lot of what architects would refer to as "fenestration..." depth, three-dimensionality. The inside of the racetrack design is significantly set back into the lens design.

I suspect that this will be one of those things that just doesn't photograph that well, and that it needs to be seen to be fully appreciated.

Finally... look carefully at the shape of the *headlights.* The tail lights and the headlights are scripted from the same design language. IMO, they pair exceptionally well in a look that I personally think is smart looking.
      09-05-2018, 03:52 AM   #72
bavaria22
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhammer View Post
As with almost any discussion of design, there will always be lovers, haters and in-betweeners. Cool if you love blue, but don't expect everyone will love blue also.

I'm not a design professional, but I know enough about it to know that something can have "great design" and still be something that some people won't like.

I once engaged the services of an interior designer who crafted an amazing contemporary interior for me. In a space with odd angles, he saw possibilities I didn't and he created an environment that just worked, on many levels. Because he used proper design principles, not because he loved contemporary design. He told me when we were done that his preference was for styles as far away from contemporary as one could get.

Point being... need to distinguish between aesthetic preferences and good design.

With respect to the G05 tail lights, here's my take. The G05 has different exterior dimensions than its predecessors. Notably, it's wider. (Lower?) I believe the new tail light design proportionately fits the profile of the new vehicle dimensions better than would have the prior "L-shape" tail light design some have described as iconic to the X5. The L-shape design seems more appropriate to a boxier, proportionately-taller vehicle. While the new design may take cues from other marques, I believe *design-wise* it's a great fit and helps to visually widen the vehicle.

With respect to the *aesthetics* A careful look at them with the liftgate up reveals a lot of what architects would refer to as "fenestration..." depth, three-dimensionality. The inside of the racetrack design is significantly set back into the lens design.

I suspect that this will be one of those things that just doesn't photograph that well, and that it needs to be seen to be fully appreciated.

Finally... look carefully at the shape of the *headlights.* The tail lights and the headlights are scripted from the same design language. IMO, they pair exceptionally well in a look that I personally think is smart looking.
I absolutely agree. I am sure a LOT more thought went into the design of the tail lights than most of us can imagine. I am sure there are several design teams, all working with independent designs until the whole thing finally comes together.... You just have to watch the videos on the design of the X3 for example (designer Calvin Luk).

Do you really think BMW just copies a random design from a Korean car manufacturer? I think it is the other way around!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 02:30 PM   #73
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Sadly, the more I see the G05 rear end, the less I like it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #74
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Everything said about the g05 back shape (not the lights) applies to f15. I know I have one (in m sport trim). It drives me crazy when I approach the car from the side profile. To me the overall silhouette didn't change much. The new 3D lights may help but not that much. It's something about the fact that the tailgate tapers out slightly from the rear windshield to the rear bumper. The q7 has the same effect but more. The xc90 and all the Range rovers and benzes avoid this. They are more vertical. I would have happily sacrificed an inch of rear cargo to get rid of this.
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0