BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #67
Kotkot
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
That’s correct. Non-Laser headlights in the US do not have the cornering lights.
that blows.. if I knew that upfront, i would order lazer lights. my dealer does not know anything about new X5s..

but $$ is good..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #68
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotkot View Post
that blows.. if I knew that upfront, i would order lazer lights. my dealer does not know anything about new X5s..

but $$ is good..
Seasoned dealers had a hard time ordering options in the new X5 due to a confusing ordering system. $90k X5’s without ACC or M brakes are more common than I could believe.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5891.50
      03-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #69
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Seasoned dealers had a hard time ordering options in the new X5 due to a confusing ordering system. $90k X5’s without ACC or M brakes are more common than I could believe.
Spot on. I'm trying to find one for my brother in law. There are $93K cars without ACC or brakes. They were clearly mistakes. One dealer has 10 x5 50s seating on the lot - all with wrong options. This goes back to the thread we were talking about must have options.
No one wants a stripper x5 50.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #70
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

My question on the new software:

Did it fix the cornering lights and BC button automatically or did they have to go in and perform some resets manually?

need to direct our dealers to do the same
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #71
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Spot on. I'm trying to find one for my brother in law. There are $93K cars without ACC or brakes. They were clearly mistakes. One dealer has 10 x5 50s seating on the lot - all with wrong options. This goes back to the thread we were talking about must have options.
No one wants a stripper x5 50.
You are doomed with the 50i as they are only 3% of the total new X5’s out there. The east coast mega dealers will have 38 X5 40i’s and only 2 or 3 50i’s in stock. I went through this with my dealer for 6 weeks almost everyday. We searched the entire country and in the end, there were only 2 properly equipped 50i M-Sports that were in the right color and full of all my options. I wanted NV but had to let that option go as I couldn’t get it. I know more about the ordering codes and dealer process than most dealers do from this journey. My dealer is dealer trading all the 50i’s properly equipped they can get from the entire east coast. They can’t keep them in stock and have customers drive 3 states to get one. They are white elephants. I was there yesterday and they ordered a beautiful full optioned mineral white / ivory merino 50i M-Sport that sold in under 2 days to a customer out of state. It was ordered to sit in their showroom but sold too quick. FYI...They did just get in a fully optioned X7 50i Artic Gray with ivory/blue Merino, 22” wheels, captains chairs. Every option except B&W. It is a stunner and is for sale now. PM if you want their info.

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-21-2019 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5891.50
      03-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #72
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I can say for certain that the cornering lights do not work on 03/2019.30. I just got the update yesterday. I could ask my service advisor to do a IRAP but I'll wait a couple of weeks for this mystical "BIG" software update coming soon to fix all our problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #73
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
I can say for certain that the cornering lights do not work on 03/2019.30. I just got the update yesterday. I could ask my service advisor to do a IRAP but I'll wait a couple of weeks for this mystical "BIG" software update coming soon to fix all our problems.
Actually you have the "big" update, it was a few weeks ago starting out with 03/2019.22. I could have read it wrong but the way I read his posts is that there is no update that will turn on the cornering lights, the techs from BMWNA went into his car and did the update for the cornering lights manually and there will be an update in the future that will turn them on for all.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #74
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

TurtleBoy, are you saying that techs from BMWNA went in to his car "remotely" and were able to activate the cornering lights? I just emailed Sun Motors to verify that they would activate my cornering lights even though I didn't buy my X5 from them. I have used them for service over the last 20 years but I bought from another dealer who offered me more for my trade and a bigger discount on the X5. I am waiting to hear from them but if there is a "bigger" software update that will also include turning on the cornering lights I will wait and have everything done at one visit.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #75
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
TurtleBoy, are you saying that techs from BMWNA went in to his car "remotely" and were able to activate the cornering lights? I just emailed Sun Motors to verify that they would activate my cornering lights even though I didn't buy my X5 from them. I have used them for service over the last 20 years but I bought from another dealer who offered me more for my trade and a bigger discount on the X5. I am waiting to hear from them but if there is a "bigger" software update that will also include turning on the cornering lights I will wait and have everything done at one visit.

That is the what I get from his posts, the 03/2019.30 software is independent of the cornering lights working. He was updated to that and then the techs altered his car. The fix that they did will be included in a future (next?) update.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #76
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks. I emailed my selling dealer, BMW of Catonsville, to see if they know anything about this issue. I will share their response if and when I get one. I emailed the Service Manager and the Genius that we worked with at delivery.

Appreciate 1
denniss391.50
      03-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #77
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
You are doomed with the 50i as they are only 3% of the total new X5’s out there. The east coast mega dealers will have 38 X5 40i’s and only 2 or 3 50i’s in stock. I went through this with my dealer for 6 weeks almost everyday. We searched the entire country and in the end, there were only 2 properly equipped 50i M-Sports that were in the right color and full of all my options. I wanted NV but had to let that option go as I couldn’t get it. I know more about the ordering codes and dealer process than most dealers do from this journey. My dealer is dealer trading all the 50i’s properly equipped they can get from the entire east coast. They can’t keep them in stock and have customers drive 3 states to get one. They are white elephants. I was there yesterday and they ordered a beautiful full optioned mineral white / ivory merino 50i M-Sport that sold in under 2 days to a customer out of state. It was ordered to sit in their showroom but sold too quick. FYI...They did just get in a fully optioned X7 50i Artic Gray with ivory/blue Merino, 22” wheels, captains chairs. Every option except B&W. It is a stunner and is for sale now. PM if you want their info.
Why didn't you just custom order instead of combing through inventory? You probably would've taken delivery in the same amount of time.
Appreciate 1
denniss391.50
      03-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #78
mbarrett635
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
Hey mbarrett,

Did the software update also fix your BC button issue? I have the same issue and dealer doesn't know how to fix.
To be completely candid, I think an earlier software update fixed that problem. The dealer updated me from .40 to .49 in January, in an attempt to fix a problem I had logging in to ConnectedDrive (didn't fix that problem, but I don't think I had the BC button issue after that). In any event, the current software version seems to have fixed ALL my issues except one -- my phone still overheats. But I'm also convinced that is most likely due to my version of iPhone (5SE, with an aftermarket wireless charger attachment). I'm planning on upgrading to an iPhone XR in the next couple of days, so we'll see if that fixes that issue. But I don't have any problems anymore with Carplay and or phone dropping/reconnecting, and as I said, the BC button problem is also gone.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #79
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Why didn't you just custom order instead of combing through inventory? You probably would've taken delivery in the same amount of time.
No, I would have never had it in time for a cross country trip. Some options were on delay at that time as well. There are advantages of both ordering and looking at complete vehicles.
We were looking at vehicles that were in production that we could dealer trade and there wasn’t too many ideal builds especially with the 50i.
Many were held in production for unknown reasons and others would show up missing options and credits given for the feature not included. Unless the vehicle is phisically out of the factory and complete, you don’t really know all the options it really has. This was how the early stages of production of a new vehicle go with BMW.
Ultimately I want to be able to inspect the vehicle in person for all the required options and I could do this with dealer search.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #80
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Spoke to my CA today and there is no software bulletin yet for the cornering lights so it appears this was a one-off. The positive news is it has proven the hardware is there and it is a software configuration issue, so it can be addressed. Hopefully it is being rolled in to an update that we will get soon.

As these cars contain so many lines of software it would be really nice if BMW took an approach much like other software developers where they issued detailed release notes online, and people could report bugs or vote-forward ideas for future development.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #81
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Spoke to my CA today and there is no software bulletin yet for the cornering lights so it appears this was a one-off. The positive news is it has proven the hardware is there and it is a software configuration issue, so it can be addressed. Hopefully it is being rolled in to an update that we will get soon.

As these cars contain so many lines of software it would be really nice if BMW took an approach much like other software developers where they issued detailed release notes online, and people could report bugs or vote-forward ideas for future development.
So, did they refuse to try and fix it for your car? Even though it's been proven to be fixable on another vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #82
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerboater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post

So, did they refuse to try and fix it for your car? Even though it's been proven to be fixable on another vehicle?
There isn't an official fix / software bulletin for it yet. You would have to go the same route of requesting BMW Group NA to code this manually. In Canada they are not aware of the work around and I doubt they will honour the approach taken for mbarrett635 for 100s of people as it would be pretty time consuming. My money is on us all having to wait for it to get rolled in to an official update.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #83
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I emailed the SA at Sun Motors about bringing my X5 in for the cornering light fix and here is the response:

That is correct! we were able to enable the cornering lights on the new X5. We were addressing several concern with electronics which in turn is why we were able to get it performed at this time. There is going to be a new update that will be for the cornering lights released at some point in April. I can definitely let you know when it is available so we can schedule you accordingly. When we do perform it I would recommend a loaner vehicle due to it taking several hours. We can also pick it up and deliver it back to you if that would help also.

Based on this information I would expect any competent BMW Dealer should be able to fix your X5 when the update is made available. This is good news and a big thanks goes out to the OP.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #84
skullman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 5.0 M Sport

Quote:
I emailed the SA at Sun Motors about bringing my X5 in for the cornering light fix and here is the response:

That is correct! we were able to enable the cornering lights on the new X5. We were addressing several concern with electronics which in turn is why we were able to get it performed at this time. There is going to be a new update that will be for the cornering lights released at some point in April. I can definitely let you know when it is available so we can schedule you accordingly. When we do perform it I would recommend a loaner vehicle due to it taking several hours. We can also pick it up and deliver it back to you if that would help also.

Based on this information I would expect any competent BMW Dealer should be able to fix your X5 when the update is made available. This is good news and a big thanks goes out to the OP.
That is if and it's a big IF that your servicing dealer is not in south FL. Any recommendations will be appreciated as unfortunately try getting through to a service advisor here is crazy. Hate to say it but the big boys rule down here. I actually was handed a buzzer like at a restaurant to tell me my SA was available after waiting 30+ minutes and I had an appointment. The SA said to me "well you can expect the wait time as it is disclosed on the appointment website"
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #85
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i 24 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:

Please give us an update when you get that email so we know the software update is available for corner lights. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 2
mnewnam269.50
bichoo280.50
      03-22-2019, 02:57 AM   #86
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I'm not new to this forum by any means, but this was my first BMW. My X5 has laser headlights, but can someone please explain to me what cornering lights actually are? I've seen the diagrams, but I can say I have no idea what they are or what the benefit is.

I've been very reluctant to take my X5 in for a firmware upgrade as I've been problem free since late November when I took delivery.
      03-22-2019, 05:05 AM   #87
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
I have no idea what they are or what the benefit is.
As you steer the wheel, they will light up in the direction you have steering, therefore allowing you to see where you are heading.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #88
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_BMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
I have no idea what they are or what the benefit is.
As you steer the wheel, they will light up in the direction you have steering, therefore allowing you to see where you are heading.
How is that different from the adaptive movement that mine already make?