Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesbimmer View Post
I thought it was included in the premium excellence package, but it looks like I was wrong about it. My bad fellas.
It may come back again at some time...
@wifesbimmer is referring to acoustic window glasses in Canada. He mistakenly thought it was available, but it was never offered in this market for X5. Only God and BMW Canada knows why
      10-28-2020, 06:51 AM   #46
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Only God and BMW Canada knows why

I'm not sure they even let God in on the secret, I know they didn't with the lack of the spare.
Appreciate 1
VTENGR1052.50
      10-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #47
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Only God and BMW Canada knows why

I'm not sure they even let God in on the secret, I know they didn't with the lack of the spare.
LOL, yeah that too. I had to pony up $450 CAD just for the spare tire. Whole set cost ~ $1100 CAD. Getting rid of the 21 inch staggered RFTs on the delivery day and selling the set right away. Me no RFT
      10-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #48
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Anyone who feels they need the mechanical assist that "soft close" doors provides should think about a gym membership instead. I can literally close my X5 doors with one finger, it's that easy.
Appreciate 1
Caramel128.50
      09-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #49
emaniat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

Had an X3 - LOVED IT!!! Bought a Lexus RX. HATE IT!!! Was looking at the X5. Put it on hold cause want and NEED acoustic glass. What a friggin difference in quietness it makes. The RX has that feature. I'm buying a friggin luxury car for features that help make it a luxury car. Inside comfort and quietness, but drives like a friggin bat out of hell when I want to. BMW does that. Sorry. They are made here in the US, we are probably the largest volume purchasers, but they friggin don't offer luxury options that other countries get? Come on already BMW!!! Don't use the supply chain excuse. And just and HK stereo option that you can't get either. BMW you're better than an HK system. Don't want to outrage anyone. Just a frustrated consumer that wants the product, but not without the options.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #50
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Here's the deal - BMW has removed several features due to supply chain issues/Covid. There is record demand and it isn't likely to let up anytime soon. What's the incentive to add back the features once the supply chain issues ease up? None. I would count on these features being gone forever on the G05, MAYBE they'll be offered again on the next platform.
Appreciate 1
wjbender345.50
      09-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #51
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Anyone who feels they need the mechanical assist that "soft close" doors provides should think about a gym membership instead. I can literally close my X5 doors with one finger, it's that easy.
Yes, I can, too, but it really annoys me when someone slams the door, and it's also annoying if it doesn't close all the way if they're timid, or small...the soft close option can be useful.

It seems you think only about what's good for you, and treat anyone else's views as dumb...how about my sister who has Parkinson's disease and little hand strength or flexibility...soft-close doors would be a godsend. Get a wider view of the world...it's not all about you! What you may find useless, someone else might find indispensable, or at least very useful...that's why they are often options.

Some hate the driver's assistance package, but many of them probably never use their directions signals, and the vehicle is trying to keep you safer and from breaking the law. That doesn't make the package useless. My boss in Germany way back when went around a country road curve and touched the center line twice...driving a leased vehicle with German plates, spoke German, had a German sounding name (but was an American)...he got two tickets for failing to control the vehicle...some places take lane keeping seriously, and the vehicle's features help. World-view...

Your comments often don't enhance your perceived character. You might be a fine person, but it doesn't sound like it online.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #52
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
What an ignorant statement. You're talking about a luxury vehicle with luxury features. No one is specing soft close because they aren't strong enough to close the doors on their own. If it was all about function, we'd all be driving Toyota's.
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2021, 10:20 PM   #53
joebimmer45
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M50i, 650i

Soft close doors are one of the nicest little luxury features available.
I have them on my 2 BMW's & love them. Why would you want to be slamming doors on a $90,000 vehicle? Just push the door handle gently until it engages & it powers itself closed & latches. What is not to like?
My issue is NO having them on my Infiniti- I am always closing too"softly" & not latching the doors.....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:21 PM   #54
joebimmer45
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Slam away gym boy....
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2021, 02:05 AM   #55
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebimmer45 View Post
I have them on my 2 BMW's & love them. Why would you want to be slamming doors on a $90,000 vehicle? Just push the door handle gently until it engages & it powers itself closed & latches. What is not to like?
My issue is NO having them on my Infiniti- I am always closing too"softly" & not latching the doors.....
I have soft close doors on my X6, but it's not something I would want if I had little children. I didn't realize there's a possibility those things can crush your finger(s)... I don't know if newer BMW now have a jam sensor or not, but before they did not seem to. Maybe the design has been improved to be safer?

https://nypost.com/2018/05/16/ultima...my-thumb-suit/

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 02:21 AM   #56
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Not the first post like that from speedyman tbh.

I've got soft-close doors and they're great and one of those things you miss when you get a courtesy car from the dealer (like HUD as well).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 02:59 AM   #57
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
I've got soft-close doors and they're great and one of those things you miss when you get a courtesy car from the dealer (like HUD as well).
I could not see myself missing them. I honestly don't know the appeal of these. It's just another thing that's going to fail and require expensive repair down the road.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 06:44 AM   #58
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
This discussion just shows how we each value different options. I would never order soft close doors. I think it's great that the BMW X5 can be custom ordered to each persons preferences and delivered in six weeks.
Appreciate 1
Norbimmer130.50
      09-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #59
Norbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3 120, iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
This discussion just shows how we each value different options. I would never order soft close doors. I think it's great that the BMW X5 can be custom ordered to each persons preferences and delivered in six weeks.
Exactly. This the whole point of all these options, do we NEED them, of course not, but we all value and are willing to pay for different ones. I believe BMW is missing many of these options, that has been cut due to shortages, more than we do. They probably generate good money, especially the more popular ones that has high volume. Low volume ones can possibly generate more complexity than profit. I would expect them to bring many options back as soon as they possibly can.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #60
joebimmer45
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Moot point for now, they can't be ordered. Starting with 2021 models, soft close doors along with a number of other features are not available on the X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 04:38 PM   #61
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

Ok, but what if:

(1.) You got the gym membership & got fuggin ripped

(2.) Then Hotties started chattin you up cuz yo ab situation

(3.) You didn't plan it, but now you're coming home late

Well shit, you don't want your wife to hear the door slamming, right?

Those soft-close doors are a muthafuckin lifesaver, amiright?
Appreciate 6
      09-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #62
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Moot point for now, they can't be ordered. Starting with 2021 models, soft close doors along with a number of other features are not available on the X5.
True - I think we can say there is a lot less custom-ordering of any BMW these days.

It's either vanilla or a small amount of customisation, the same across other brands as well, at least the German ones.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 07:01 PM   #63
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
They are available for the X5M. It's worth the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 11:46 PM   #64
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Ok, but what if:

(1.) You got the gym membership & got fuggin ripped

(2.) Then Hotties started chattin you up cuz yo ab situation

(3.) You didn't plan it, but now you're coming home late

Well shit, you don't want your wife to hear the door slamming, right?

Those soft-close doors are a muthafuckin lifesaver, amiright?
But what about this scenario:

1) Get the gym membership, get ripped

2) Get so ripped the only way you can close the door is to slam it

3) Door falls off

And now you don't have a door.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      09-05-2021, 01:20 AM   #65
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
But what about this scenario:

1) Get the gym membership, get ripped

2) Get so ripped the only way you can close the door is to slam it

3) Door falls off

And now you don't have a door.
This is why it's WAY safer to just get soft-close doors: without them you turn into a jacked whore driving a car with no doors.

That ain't luxury.
Appreciate 1