BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-05-2020, 05:56 AM   #45
BMW_DE_CKB
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

US Spec BMW using Apple Carplay in Germany

I noticed above that someone was apple to use their apple carplay on their BMW in Germany, how do you enable this? I was informed that the bmw-connected setup would need to be activated and in use in the states in order to use carplay? If anyone knows otherwise, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #46
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Hey everyone, I have a 2020 G20, Ill share my story.

I bought the car last year in Q4. I received it and they said the same thing! The maps dont work here, and they made me sign the form saying I didnt want the EURO maps.
ALso got told that Connected drive does not work. Sure enough it was disconnected.

Fast forward to July, I took the car in to a German dealer because its the closest one to me. They updated ID to 03.2020.58. and now connected drive works, when I have reception that is. But the car downloads all the apps and stuff and I was able to get the car registered int he store.
Another member in the Netherlands confirmed ID (CD) was working for him as well on 3.2020.58. HE also said the dealer loaded EURO maps to him and they work fine.

I have not loaded EURO maps to mine yet but I will inquire about it.
helmet91 ]
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #47
BMW_DE_CKB
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

US Spec BMW using Apple Carplay in Germany

Sounds good, I am not up to speed on the BMW nomenclature for the idrive versions and updates, I'd love to use my connected and apple carplay capability. I believe my 2018 BMW M2 has the idrive 6.0, it is apple carplay capable, so not sure if I'll ever get it working while in Germany. I do have the Euro maps running off of a usb thumb drive, they work fine. But I really would like to use my google maps via the apple carplay for the traffic information.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #48
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_DE_CKB View Post
Sounds good, I am not up to speed on the BMW nomenclature for the idrive versions and updates, I'd love to use my connected and apple carplay capability. I believe my 2018 BMW M2 has the idrive 6.0, it is apple carplay capable, so not sure if I'll ever get it working while in Germany. I do have the Euro maps running off of a usb thumb drive, they work fine. But I really would like to use my google maps via the apple carplay for the traffic information.
Yeah, iDrive6 you're stuck without CarPlay unless you go third party and use an fsc code to enable it. Luckily when I picked my X3 up from the Welt they gave me the usb stick with the maps. I gave it to Bavarian so they could provide it to people who didn't want to install the Euro maps.

One thing I found is if you don't have the maps installed or even running off of USB, Speed Limit Info doesn't work. So even though the camera is capable of reading the signs, I guess because it doesn't have the backend speed limit database included with the maps, it doesn't show.
Appreciate 1
A6bullet336.00
      08-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #49
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_DE_CKB View Post
Interesting, my 2017 M2 with ID 6 had Euro maps installed. I thought ID 6 issues were fixed. Bummer
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #50
callen85
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 330XI

Garage List
  [0.00]
330 Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
Hey everyone, I have a 2020 G20, Ill share my story.

I bought the car last year in Q4. I received it and they said the same thing! The maps dont work here, and they made me sign the form saying I didnt want the EURO maps.
ALso got told that Connected drive does not work. Sure enough it was disconnected.

Fast forward to July, I took the car in to a German dealer because its the closest one to me. They updated ID to 03.2020.58. and now connected drive works, when I have reception that is. But the car downloads all the apps and stuff and I was able to get the car registered int he store.
Another member in the Netherlands confirmed ID (CD) was working for him as well on 3.2020.58. HE also said the dealer loaded EURO maps to him and they work fine.

I have not loaded EURO maps to mine yet but I will inquire about it.
helmet91 ]
So I just took delivery of a 330xi and nothing works. When you say updated the ID, where are you finding that so I can see if I am on the same one you are or if yours is still working? Appreciate the help
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #51
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If your purchase through the military sales included BMW shipping back to the states, BMW should update the maps to the USA in the port. If you're shipping it back through military channels, I don't think that will happen.

FWIW, there are lots of sections on the autobahn that have speed limits, and in some areas, they differ with electronic signs by which lane you're in, the time of day, and the weather conditions. Last I was there, there were unlimited sections, but it's not universal in the system...sort of like the US requiring lower speed limits on the interstates within certain population densities (primarily cities).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #52
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If your purchase through the military sales included BMW shipping back to the states, BMW should update the maps to the USA in the port. If you're shipping it back through military channels, I don't think that will happen.
They don't do anything at the port. You have to go to the port, walk back, find your car and drive it out. It's not like it's going through port prep like if it was going to be sent to a dealer like a European delivery redelivery. It's basically you're importing the vehicle on your own and they're just providing marine transport and you're responsible for the rest including any fees.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:24 PM   #53
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

On one of my vehicles, I did European delivery...drove around Bavaria for awhile, dropped it off, picked it up back in the states, and BMW had put the US maps on it by the time I got the vehicle...so, BMW prepped the vehicle twice for the price; once in Munich, once in the states. But, it appears that doesn't happen when buying through the exchange.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #54
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
On one of my vehicles, I did European delivery...drove around Bavaria for awhile, dropped it off, picked it up back in the states, and BMW had put the US maps on it by the time I got the vehicle...so, BMW prepped the vehicle twice for the price; once in Munich, once in the states. But, it appears that doesn't happen when buying through the exchange.
Yeah, you're actually buying the vehicle directly from BMW AG when you purchase through Military/Diplomatic sales and basically cutting out all of the middle men except for the dealership that handles the docs and delivery. BMW NA doesn't even have a record of the vehicle until you register it with them for the remainder of the warranty. The stopped doing stateside delivery as well, so you have to take delivery overseas.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 02:42 PM   #55
timmedic
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen85 View Post
So I just took delivery of a 330xi and nothing works. When you say updated the ID, where are you finding that so I can see if I am on the same one you are or if yours is still working? Appreciate the help
callen85, I also took delivery of a 330xi in Germany this week and just like you nothing works. I do have Euro Maps installed but aside from that there is nothing.

Additionally, I have noticed something really odd as well regarding the software version installed on my car. If I try to verify the currently installed version of iDrive software, I cannot find anything. When I follow the pathway to get there, Car>Settings>General Settings>Remote Software Upgrade>Installed Version, "Remote Software Upgrade" does not exist, it's not even grayed out. I am curious if your situation is similar and if you'd be willing to share a bit more about the quirks you are having. Feel free to direct message
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #56
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i, 2021 X5 M50i

I took delivery of my X5 last week, and have the same...
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
My wife drives a 2020 X2 M35i.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:32 AM   #57
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen85 View Post
So I took the car into the German dealer to get the KAFAS module reset for a fault. They updated my idrive to 03.2020.XX.

I have no idea what they did but I got the connected drive functions added, including apps. Data connection is spotty though.

Euler wants to charge me $500 to install maps in the car... LOL.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:28 AM   #58
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i, 2021 X5 M50i

Did you buy the car from Euler? I have bought two from them, and had the European maps installed before delivery, bo charge.
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
My wife drives a 2020 X2 M35i.
Appreciate 0