BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Why the service required distance keeps on changing?

Hi,

Just wondering why the service due requirement distance keeps on changing?

My engine oil and vehicle check service was 16k km initially, then it changed to 12k km now it is at 11k km.

It changed to 11k km when I had already crossed 12k km distance but I still don't see any service due notification, may be it will come up in Dec when my Engine Oil service is due based on date?

Regarding service distance requirement, do I need to change my driving behavior or these changes are normal?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

It's based on an algorithm to predict the condition of the oil that considers how you drive, how frequently, how long each trip is etc.
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00
      10-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

It's called condition based servicing. I took one of my older BMWs with that on a long trip. When I started, it said service in 4.5K miles. I drove it nearly 4K miles, and when I got back, it still said about the same. The vast majority of those miles were non-stop highway while most of the miles previous to that trip were shorter trips in stop/go traffic. It can vary up/down quite a lot depending on what you're doing. Regardless, though, at least in the US, while under warranty, BMW will change the oil/filter at 12-month intervals, regardless of what the condition based servicing says. Don't know on this version of the I6, but that in the GT, it could have gone close to 16K-miles if I had continued to drive as I had been. I traded that one in when I bought the X5, so didn't watch that number really drop, since it wasn't driven much since that trip.

The recommended brake fluid change is strictly based on time, though, not miles.
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00