11-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #23
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile muncher View Post
Interesting that sensatec is considered softer. I have heard complaints on this forum about sensatec being uncomfortable on long drives and am not surprised to hear that given that sensatec isn’t a “living” material like leather that can change and slacken over time. That said, it could be an issue with the cushioning on the sports seats, though my initial impression of those seats was quite positive, with no concerns about over-prominent bolsters.
if you want comfort on long drives, there's no real substitute for Merino. We bought our F15 off the showroom with Nappa and we liked it a lot. After driving it for 4 years and looking for the g05, the dealer took us out in models that had vernasca and the difference then was apparent. It's a very durable leather for sure, but it definitely wasn't close to as plush as Nappa was. Now having the merino on our G05, the Nappa doesn't seem as plush, even outright stiff compared to the merino.

If you're looking for long haul comfort, I would definitely recommend the Merino. It'll be hard to tell based on a 5 minute test drive of the different materials but we love it. We chose a light color and so far, there's not been any creases or wear after 8 months. But if you're truly worried you can always opt for black.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #24
whtbst
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

I have black Sensatec and have been satisfied overall. I’d compared it to Vernasca on the lot and the softness (or stiffness) felt about the same to me — I went with Sensatec only because the vehicle I’d preferred had other options I wanted that weren’t in the Vernasca equipped vehicle. I will say that after a year of ownership, the best qualities of Sensatec are durability and appearance. There are no wrinkles or scratches whatsoever. The only con of Sensatec is that I wish the material was smoother — it’s a little rough for my taste which grips my clothes a little too much. I prefer smoother leather so my clothes slide off the surface easier. Also wish I had the lovely smell of leather If given the chance again, I’d choose the Merino leather over both for sure (as the difference is most noticeable). But choosing between Sensatec and Vernasca was basically a coin flip for me — as the difference just wasn’t great enough.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #25
Mile muncher
Private
Rep
Drives: Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbst View Post
I have black Sensatec and have been satisfied overall. I’d compared it to Vernasca on the lot and the softness (or stiffness) felt about the same to me — I went with Sensatec only because the vehicle I’d preferred had other options I wanted that weren’t in the Vernasca equipped vehicle. I will say that after a year of ownership, the best qualities of Sensatec are durability and appearance. There are no wrinkles or scratches whatsoever. The only con of Sensatec is that I wish the material was smoother — it’s a little rough for my taste which grips my clothes a little too much. I prefer smoother leather so my clothes slide off the surface easier. Also wish I had the lovely smell of leather If given the chance again, I’d choose the Merino leather over both for sure (as the difference is most noticeable). But choosing between Sensatec and Vernasca was basically a coin flip for me — as the difference just wasn’t great enough.
Thanks, this is helpful. My own experience with mbtex was mostly positive, except it was too grippy, which meant it would hold your body and clothes in place uncomfortably, and the sweat potential in the summer was very high. I can only imagine how it would be like with a black interior, which is what I prefer. It’s difficult to find merino on the lot, but vernasca, as long as it is smooth and feels like real leather, should do the job. Luckily, there’s a good mix of vernasca and sensatec on the lot, meaning I shouldn’t be forced to pick one based on options. Luckily I also don’t mind the base 19” wheels so picking a suitable X5 shouldn’t be too hard.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #26
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
if you want comfort on long drives, there's no real substitute for Merino. We bought our F15 off the showroom with Nappa and we liked it a lot. After driving it for 4 years and looking for the g05, the dealer took us out in models that had vernasca and the difference then was apparent. It's a very durable leather for sure, but it definitely wasn't close to as plush as Nappa was. Now having the merino on our G05, the Nappa doesn't seem as plush, even outright stiff compared to the merino.

If you're looking for long haul comfort, I would definitely recommend the Merino. It'll be hard to tell based on a 5 minute test drive of the different materials but we love it. We chose a light color and so far, there's not been any creases or wear after 8 months. But if you're truly worried you can always opt for black.
Wouldn't something more substatial like the Vernasca vs the Merino be more durable and less likely to wrinkle, crease, or pierce? I have the Vernasca and it is very nice indeed but definitely not a silky soft glove leather which I would not be interested in. No need for the self appointed leather thread police to take their shots at this one, just an honest question.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #27
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Wouldn't something more substatial like the Vernasca vs the Merino be more durable and less likely to wrinkle, crease, or pierce? I have the Vernasca and it is very nice indeed but definitely not a silky soft glove leather which I would not be interested in. No need for the self appointed leather thread police to take their shots at this one, just an honest question.
I havent had the merino leather long enough, but the nappa is pretty close to it, and we've had that for 4 years in the f15. its pretty durable. I bought a set of lexol wipes when we initially got it but I only ever used it once just to see what would happen. ie i've put no special care into the seats and they've held up perfectly fine. no obvious wear after 4 years of daily use, certainly no piercings. I would imagine the merino to be close to that type of durability.

mind you in our family its just adults, no kids or pets so I cant speak to that. But we don't roughhouse but we certainly don't 'baby' it, and they've held up just fine.

The vernasca isnt bad at all. It's just that the surface is a lot rougher to the touch than the nappa or merino. that's what was immediately apparent to us on the g05 test drives. But if i didn't touch it, I'm not sure how much of a difference I would have felt. I think, the tactile toughness of the vernasca hide makes it feel like its more durable, but like I said, we've never put any special care onto either truck and the leather has held up just fine. I feel like the durability thing is overblown, I think they're all probably about the same toughness, except the way the texture feels, people just assume/are scared of merino thinking it'll break apart quicker.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #28
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I could care less about your opinions and don’t disagree with some of your opinions in the past but question the reasoning to constantly add sexist “man up” comments to any feature you find unnecessary for a luxury vehicle and deem them as “effeminate”??? Not sure why or what your reasoning of assigning certain luxury items to being “too soft and for the ladies” and others are masculine enough?? A lot of new members come here for information and don’t need that kind of derogatory back handed compliments.

As a previous moderator on a few larger forums, I can assure you it’s not just myself noticing these juvenile digs.
You be you dude and I know you are new here but these sexist digs everywhere will get you bounced off this forum. The moderators have experience with these types of issues and won’t let that tone go on too long.

Some Forum rules of conduct:

1) Respect. By far the most important rule here. Through the generations of BMW, enthusiasts have come together for the love of the car and the community. So the basic rules of real life apply here, show each other respect and you will get respect as well. Don't bash someone else here because you feel like it. Derogatory or insulting remarks will not be tolerated. This applies to all corners of the site - including posts, profile visitor messages, and thread tags.

2) Search. These forums tend to accumulate knowledge, and so when you have a question do a simple search first. Alot of times, the best answers will be found in old threads that have gone over the topic in detail. If you can't find your answer or are still unclear, then by all means don't be afraid and post your question.

3) Disagree, don't attack. Disagree on topics, but try to leave it at that. Just because you don't like someones opinion on the car's engine, doesn't mean you should call him and his mother all sorts of names Disagreements are awesome, and you should call someone on something you don't agree with, but don't go out of your way to insult and flame someone. Please consider if you would say to someone's face the same thing you are posting.

4) Help. Be helpful, we are all probably here because of a question and people will go out of their way to help you. Try to do the same if you have the answer to a question posted. BMW-E90 enthusiasts have to stick together. If you think not telling others about some technical info you have will make you and your car unique and prefer to be unique rather than share this information, then this forum is not for you. Help each other with questions and answers and I guarantee you, one

Thank you Mystro. no need to feed.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #29
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I havent had the merino leather long enough, but the nappa is pretty close to it, and we've had that for 4 years in the f15. its pretty durable. I bought a set of lexol wipes when we initially got it but I only ever used it once just to see what would happen. ie i've put no special care into the seats and they've held up perfectly fine. no obvious wear after 4 years of daily use, certainly no piercings. I would imagine the merino to be close to that type of durability.

mind you in our family its just adults, no kids or pets so I cant speak to that. But we don't roughhouse but we certainly don't 'baby' it, and they've held up just fine.

The vernasca isnt bad at all. It's just that the surface is a lot rougher to the touch than the nappa or merino. that's what was immediately apparent to us on the g05 test drives. But if i didn't touch it, I'm not sure how much of a difference I would have felt. I think, the tactile toughness of the vernasca hide makes it feel like its more durable, but like I said, we've never put any special care onto either truck and the leather has held up just fine. I feel like the durability thing is overblown, I think they're all probably about the same toughness, except the way the texture feels, people just assume/are scared of merino thinking it'll break apart quicker.
Interesting feedback, Thank You. I've owned more vehicles with leather interiors(Porsches, Corvettes, BMWs, Cadillacs,...) than I can remeber at this point and have never really paid any close attention to or even thought about the feel, durability, etc. with any of them until these threads here on this board.
Guess I never owned any of them long enough to see any significant degradation or wear.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #30
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
I have the Vernasca Leather which is standard in my '21 M50i and it is more than nice enough for me and I would guess just about any man. It is rather shocking to see how some guys need to sit on leather that is "sumptuous" and as soft as a baby's ass. Hey it's your money and your choice but jeeeezus, you are not buying your wife a pair of gloves or an LV purse here. How soft and cushy does your world really need to be.
Jesus. We all get it, you're a real man.
What do you expect to gain with this endless condescending trolling about whatever you don't like or deem unnecessary anyway?
You must be a real hoot at parties.
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #31
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
Yes, he is the type that can put a smile on every face in the room - as he leaves it.
      11-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #32
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
Jesus. We all get it, you're a real man.
What do you expect to gain with this endless condescending trolling about whatever you don't like or deem unnecessary anyway?
Sorry if I have offended anyone here, it was not my intention.
Flame suit on.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 10:41 PM   #33
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Sensatec is plastic. Vernasca is real leather. I had a X5 loaner with Sensatec and it felt like vinyl and very out of place in a vehicle like the X5. I personally would much rather have cloth upholstery than vinyl in any price point of vehicle.
Trying to decide how close vinyl feels like leather is like trying to judge the best generic brand of hotdogs when you where expecting steak.
Vernasca and Dakota may as well be vinyl...the plastic coating over the leather is so thick it basically feels like vinyl.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #34
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Short rundown of BMW leathers:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/12/23/k...ather-options/
Appreciate 3
volodp193.50
      11-27-2020, 12:53 AM   #35
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
This is great...thanks for posting!
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
My wife drives a 2020 X2 M35i.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:20 AM   #36
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMD View Post
I would be concerned about resell value. How many people want to spend this much on a vehicle and get fake leather seats?
Most consumers wouldn't know the difference unless it was pointed out.
I agree. Most consumers honestly care mostly about the badge. They wouldn't know unless pointed out to them.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 05:20 AM   #37
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

The only time I'd favour Sensatec over real leather on the X5 is for the dash. Makes no sense to spend £1.5k on real leather when Sensatec looks the same and is also more durable (I've lost track of the number of shiny leather dashes I've seen).

However for the seats (which you actually sit on and feel) there is no comparison for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:13 AM   #38
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Vernasca and Dakota may as well be vinyl...the plastic coating over the leather is so thick it basically feels like vinyl.
So the Vernasca Leather that many of us here have is essentially plastic garbage?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:30 AM   #39
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Spouse's previous F15 had Dakota (essentially like Vernasca), and it wore extremely well, almost maintenance-free. Slightly firmer than the Nappa I had in my F15, but by no means uncomfortable, and I'd take it any day over Sensatec. It's probably a better option than Merino if you routinely haul a big family with a big dog.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #40
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Spouse's previous F15 had Dakota (essentially like Vernasca), and it wore extremely well, almost maintenance-free. Slightly firmer than the Nappa I had in my F15, but by no means uncomfortable, and I'd take it any day over Sensatec. It's probably a better option than Merino if you routinely haul a big family with a big dog.
I am in agreement with you here and have complete satisfaction with the Vernasca leather in my X5. It looks great and is quite comfortable but I don't have a touchy, feely, affair with the seats in my vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #41
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am in agreement with you here and have complete satisfaction with the Vernasca leather in my X5. It looks great and is quite comfortable but I don't have a touchy, feely, affair with the seats in my vehicles.
It's good not to be romantically attracted to your seats. Mixed-species love affairs never work out. That said, I like the look and feel of Merino better than BMWs other offerings (no experience with the Alpina leather), and I have Full Merino in both X5s. Kids are gone, dog is small. And I don't mind the maintenance. And I find I can go days, even weeks, without caressing the seats. But thats just me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #42
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

To answer the OP's question, I would recommend going with Vernasca over Sensatec. I've been in several sensatec interiors, and all of them felt "rubbery" and obvious that it's not a leather interior. I've had two previous F10 5 series, both with Dakota, and it was an overall very nice interior leather option, and from several X5's I've sat in that had Vernasca, also very nice and similar to Dakota. That being said, I ordered my X5 with Luxury seating package and extended merino, because I simply wanted the best BMW could offer, and since I was ordering the vehicle, it gave me the opportunity to pick exactly what I wanted. I guess I like my world soft and sumptuous. I married a beautiful Italian woman, so I'm staying consistent in that regard.

I also agree w Mystro, labeling people's choices for their vehicle options as soft, or feminine, etc is just bizarre and says more about the poster saying it, than the people who chose these options. Personally, I think it's great that BMW offers all these various options so we can all custom tailor our cars to our liking. It's all about personal preference.