BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-15-2020, 02:42 AM   #45
BimmerBoo01
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheManBG View Post
I was about to pull the trigger on this amazon piece but I’m way too anal about the details and the X not lighting up would’ve drove me crazy. So just got the whole damn thing together will the radio panel. Should be here next week.
Do you have a link where I can buy this? I sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #46
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibbytfd View Post
Does anyone know how to remove the idrive controller knob module? I made the mistake of damaging the ribbon cable underneath the glass fascia during install. Couldn't find the flat ribbon cable anywhere, so I bought a whole new module. When I accessed the bottom of the defective module, I unscrewed 4 torx screws and for the life of me could not pry it off without thinking I will damage surrounding pieces. Is there a special pry tool to use for this?
Try this... Other thread post by timmahh
      04-10-2021, 08:32 PM   #47
kbkura
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5, 2021 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCwell3er View Post
Got a chance to install my crystal parts.

Ran into a bit of a snag, while installing the Idrive Controller, I broke a small piece of the cable locking bracket. Luckily, I was still able to get the cable in and secured.

I took note from here and ensured I disconnected the negatives to both batteries!

Before and After.

Looking to get the vol knob replaced soon.
Question for you... how did you get the cable in and secured? I had the same problem where the cable locking bracket broke one arm. I don't hear a click when I snap the cable in, so I'm not sure what else to do. I hope the cable isn't broken itself. Any other potential solutions?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:17 PM   #48
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbkura View Post
Question for you... how did you get the cable in and secured? I had the same problem where the cable locking bracket broke one arm. I don't hear a click when I snap the cable in, so I'm not sure what else to do. I hope the cable isn't broken itself. Any other potential solutions?
I just (after about 20 or so tries) slowly push the cable in and pushed the bracket in to the lock position and haven't had an issue. You definitely have to go slow and be patient.
      05-02-2021, 04:02 PM   #49
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCwell3er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbkura View Post
I just (after about 20 or so tries) slowly push the cable in and pushed the bracket in to the lock position and haven't had an issue. You definitely have to go slow and be patient.
How did you disconnect the negative terminal of the battery under the hood? I removed the cover and the nut just doesn't budge and the bloody wiper cover on top makes it harder. Any tips?

Also, just the negative terminal needs to be unplugged on both batteries, correct or both terminals on both batteries?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 12:10 AM   #50
Bmwfl13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 MSport

Garage List
I installed the car analysis shifter, start, radio and I controller. All look fantastic. Please remember to disconnect battery. I have the 7 seater so the battery is under the trunk floor panel.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 05:13 PM   #51
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfl13 View Post
I installed the car analysis shifter, start, radio and I controller. All look fantastic. Please remember to disconnect battery. I have the 7 seater so the battery is under the trunk floor panel.
How easy/difficult is it to install the controller knob? How long does it take and any tips apart from disconnecting the batteries? I have installed the volume button, start/stop button and the shifter. All 3 total took me a total of 15 minutes including disconnecting the batteries and reconnecting them.

I want to attempt the controller knob but my issue is that I don't have the luxury of time and once I start the process I have to finish it as we use the car for my toddler and so if I leave it disconnected for a prolonged time then my wife won't be happy about it lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #52
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 g05

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
How easy/difficult is it to install the controller knob? How long does it take and any tips apart from disconnecting the batteries? I have installed the volume button, start/stop button and the shifter. All 3 total took me a total of 15 minutes including disconnecting the batteries and reconnecting them.

I want to attempt the controller knob but my issue is that I don't have the luxury of time and once I start the process I have to finish it as we use the car for my toddler and so if I leave it disconnected for a prolonged time then my wife won't be happy about it lol.

Took me about 30 mins. Hard part is connecting the connecter so it fit perfectly. Not too long or too short. Thats all.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 05:09 PM   #53
Bmwfl13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 MSport

Garage List
It took me approximately 30 minutes as well. I didn't disconnect the cable on the controller when I replaced it. Only issue I had was alignment afterwards. All items were not too bad except the shifter which was difficult to replace the cable .
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #54
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 45e

Do I need to disconnect battery and remove whole center console if only replacing control knob?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 09:34 PM   #55
darrenchan0321
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighterjw10 View Post
Can someone share the video for installation of the knob?
https://www.coolshiftknobs.com/bmw-c...llation-guide/
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 09:37 PM   #56
darrenchan0321
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
Do I need to disconnect battery and remove whole center console if only replacing control knob?
Battery needs to be disconnected
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 04:23 PM   #57
PJ///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 G05 LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 G05 LCI  [0.00]
Any help is appreciated. What is the trick to disconnect the wires that attach to the center console/idrive system. 2024 X5 G05.
Do I need to open the harness up? Press a button?
I can’t seem to disconnect the wires so I can swap the LCI gear shift paddle back to the PRE LCI gear shift stick.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 06:35 AM   #58
aug0211
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Would love to hear if anyone does the start/stop button on a 2024. I swapped mine to red but it didn’t go quite as I expected. I’m not sure if I just didn’t get the full assembly out of the original button or if things changed with the LCI.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 11:00 PM   #59
aug0211
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Figured it out. Sure enough, the button had unstuck from the button housing, which is meant to also come out but did not. Was able to get it out with putty directly on the housing.

Hope this helps someone else too!
Appreciate 0