BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-25-2020, 04:22 AM   #1
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

OEM tire lottery

Is it still a crapshoot as to what tire you get from the factory?

I'm no expert, so are Hankook tires any good? I always thought of them as a "lesser" brand and thought it incredibly odd to see them on a model like the X5 vs a Pirelli or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Disagree 100% Hankook is a Korean brand, which are all quite decent.

Unless you are chasing down hundredths of seconds on a racetrack..... there really isn't a huge difference between American brands, European brands, and even Korean brands.

It's the CHINESE brands you have to avoid. And, be careful,.because they don't all have "Chinese" sounding names.

Why? Tires are tires, right? Nope. Here's a few reasons why Chinese tires should be avoided:

1) China has ZERO regulation on manufacturing processes for Chinese brands.

2) China uses "whatever" is cheapest to make their products.

3) You could buy 4 identical tires, and they could be made from 4 completely different rubber compounds. One will be soft like pencil erasers.... the others will be made from the same material they make bulldozer tracks from.

4) All those chinese brand tires on ebay? Are from companies that have already closed up shop, and re-opened under a different brand name. You can't return them. There is no warrantee (even if they say there is.... they lie).... and you can't sue them when they fail and kill your family..... because the company doesn't exist.

Now.... I may get some "China makes plenty of good things.... stop being so racist" comments here..... and yes, there are plenty of good things made in China...

.... IF THEY ARE CONTRACTED TO MAKE THEM by a non-Chinese company. (Apple, Samsung, etc). At least then, the company has oversight, quality control, and accountability. In that case, yes.... Chinese products are fine.

If it's a Chinese company, with a Chinese brand name (or no name at all)..... Don't do it. Especially not wheels, tires, brakes, or anything that your family depends on for safety.

Hankook? Makes very decent tires. I bought a set for my wife's Hyundai Tucson, that my entire family commutes in daily.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #3
vkxkswk_xxxk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post

Unless you are chasing down hundredths of seconds on a racetrack..... there really isn't a huge difference between American brands, European brands, and even Korean brands.

It's the CHINESE brands you have to avoid. And, be careful,.because they don't all have "Chinese" sounding names.

Why? Tires are tires, right? Nope. Here's a few reasons why Chinese tires should be avoided:

3) You could buy 4 identical tires, and they could be made from 4 completely different rubber compounds. One will be soft like pencil erasers.... the others will be made from the same material they make bulldozer tracks from.

4) All those chinese brand tires on ebay? Are from companies that have already closed up shop, and re-opened under a different brand name. You can't return them. There is no warrantee (even if they say there is.... they lie).... and you can't sue them when they fail and kill your family..... because the company doesn't exist.

Now.... I may get some "China makes plenty of good things.... stop being so racist" comments here..... and yes, there are plenty of good things made in China...

.... IF THEY ARE CONTRACTED TO MAKE THEM by a non-Chinese company. (Apple, Samsung, etc). At least then, the company has oversight, quality control, and accountability. In that case, yes.... Chinese products are fine.

If it's a Chinese company, with a Chinese brand name (or no name at all)..... Don't do it. Especially not wheels, tires, brakes, or anything that your family depends on for safety.

Hankook? Makes very decent tires. I bought a set for my wife's Hyundai Tucson, that my entire family commutes in daily.
Agree, Kumho is not that bad either (also Korean company).

I didn't know X5s came with Hankook also? I thought it was either Pirelli or Bridgestone.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 01:01 AM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

OEM tires will have the five-pointed star on them which means they were customized to BMW specs. You can sometimes buy the same brand and model tire, but one may have the star on it, and the other may not. Visually, other than the star, you may not be able to discern any differences, but internally, there probably are.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i, 2021 X5 M50i

My M50i came with Hankook. No issues with them thus far.
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
My wife drives a 2020 X2 M35i.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 10:50 PM   #6
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_xxxk View Post
Quote:

Agree, Kumho is not that bad either (also Korean company).

I didn't know X5s came with Hankook also? I thought it was either Pirelli or Bridgestone.
I believe current X5/X6 OEM tire brands are: Michelin, Pirelli, Continental and Hankook. (I honestly didn't know about the latter until reading this thread!)

They may still be doing Goodyear as well. (I know my last X5 (F15) came with Goodyear.)
      12-12-2020, 11:27 PM   #7
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

FWIW, my car was just delivered with Continentals. Nothing more to report as I drove it straight to the detailer from the detailer and all I remember is seeing Continental on the side.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:49 PM   #8
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

Take a look at the windshield glass, it's manufactured by Fuyao, a well known Chinese company. Granted, they have setup shop in US
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 10:46 PM   #9
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep

Bridgestone Alenza on my 45e with 20" wheels. Week 49 build.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 07:16 AM   #10
X5FAN21
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i M Sport

+1 re: 20" Bridgestone Alenza xDr40i. Week 49 build.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 11:36 AM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Hankook Ventus S1 evo3 summer performance tires on my 2021 45e staggered 21" wheels, week 50 build
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #12
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Hankook Ventus S1 evo3 summer performance tires on my 2021 45e staggered 21" wheels, week 50 build
Wow, I didn't think BMW would go outside the large well known tire brands on vehicles built in the US. But I guess as always, its all about keeping the shareholders purses filled up.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #13
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep

Would gladly take Hankook performance tires vs. Pirelli, Conti, or Bridgestone. They are well known for their racing tires and produce excellent products. Only brands I would swap them out for is Michelin or Nokian depending on the application.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/hank...ng-at-le-mans/

https://www.rubbernews.com/automotiv...a-4a4ec8a5fa4a

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/...ml?idxno=17035

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/art...-formula-drift

Last edited by Fennario; 01-03-2021 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
Would gladly take Hankook performance tires vs. Pirelli, Conti, or Bridgestone. They are well known for their racing tires and produce excellent products. Only brands I would swap them out for is Michelin or Nokian depending on the application.
my staggered 21" Hankooks will be available soon once my replacements come in. PM if interested.

i, too, prefer Michelin or Nokian but unfortunately they don't have my tires sizes
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #15
eholtz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5D, 2019 530i, 2021 X5m

Bridgestone Alenza on my week 51 M40i

Last edited by eholtz; 01-03-2021 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: forgot week
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #16
Chrudosh
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Pirelli p-zero's 19" summer version on a 45e
Production week 43/2020
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #17
zanyguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:

Sir, 100% agree with you.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #18
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

The Hankooks I have on my Toyota were made in the Hankook factory in Tennessee
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:35 PM   #19
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENPUS View Post
The Hankooks I have on my Toyota were made in the Hankook factory in Tennessee
Ah damn, in that case maybe I don’t trust them after all.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #20
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoupeInsanity View Post
Ah damn, in that case maybe I don’t trust them after all.
I was surprised how well they are built and how they handle. My Corolla S isn't built for speed but more so for handling. It has a custom lowered suspension and makes high speed drifting around curves in the rain look easy. Hankook handles guuuuuuuud lol
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #21
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENPUS View Post
I was surprised how well they are built and how they handle. My Corolla S isn't built for speed but more so for handling. It has a custom lowered suspension and makes high speed drifting around curves in the rain look easy. Hankook handles guuuuuuuud lol
I was kidding, I'm sure they're great!
      05-12-2021, 04:21 AM   #22
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

tires and brakes are the last places i want to save money, its actually a place i want to spend it.
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4591.00
gqgambler716.00