11-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #45
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Just done mine using BimmerLink with the above settings. I could open and close the valve with the engine off. Pulled the fuse and now to live with it a bit and see how it is

Would be nice to have some way to manually control the value without needing to connect the ODB adaptor and use my iPhone which is a pain.

Are there any downsides to leaving the ODB adaptor connected all the time? I notice it's able to draw power through the port when the car is shut down. I wouldn't want to have it draining the battery when the car isn't in use or does the port power down at some point after the car is locked?
I've had it plugged in for weeks (due to laziness) while I'm using the car "normally", no problems noted.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #46
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
I've had it plugged in for weeks (due to laziness) while I'm using the car "normally", no problems noted.
So to keep the flap open, it has to be done each time the car starts using the adapter and the iPhone app? No way to open it using Bimmerlink and then pulling the fuse to keep it open at all times with the adapter removed and not having to do the entire process each time?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #47
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Quote:
So to keep the flap open, it has to be done each time the car starts using the adapter and the iPhone app? No way to open it using Bimmerlink and then pulling the fuse to keep it open at all times with the adapter removed and not having to do the entire process each time?
Yes you can do that. Open with BimmerLink and pull the fuse. I didn't do that but I know it's possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #48
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes you can do that. Open with BimmerLink and pull the fuse. I didn't do that but I know it's possible.
So is it fuse 203, 223 or what fuse is it exactly on the 40i?

Damn $32 for the bimmerlink app? Wtf
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #49
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Also if I do open it using the bimmerlink app, how do I test the difference in sound between open and close? Also is the difference only in the sport mode or comfort also? Lastly do I have to keep the car engine running while using bimmerlink or put the car in diagnostic mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #50
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Also if I do open it using the bimmerlink app, how do I test the difference in sound between open and close? Also is the difference only in the sport mode or comfort also? Lastly do I have to keep the car engine running while using bimmerlink or put the car in diagnostic mode?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't pulled the fuse but I know you can do it that way, maybe someone that has pulled the fuse can jump in and mention the correct fuse.
Not sure if there was a difference in flap changing ability between sport and other modes, but you can hear and feel (hand in front of right side pipe) the difference when opening and closing the flap with the engine running, no need for diagnostic mode. Once the fuse is pulled it'll be open in all modes for sure.
$32 for the app and some for the adaptor, if you don't already have it. To be honest I bought the app to play with the valve and haven't used it since. Flap is still in auto.
There is a way to make it happen without bimmerlink, it's on the forum too somewhere, it's going to require you sitting in the trunk, ready to pull the fuse while someone is driving under circumstances that'll open the valve (sport mode over a certain speed and/or a certain RPM). Worth $32 to not have to do that....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #51
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

I’ve used BimmerLink to open the flap then pulled the F203 fuse. Once the flap is opened and the fuse removed I can confirm it remains that way until you put the fuse back in and put the flap to auto again. The fuse card seems to indicate F203 also supplies a circuit which looks like the rear wiper from the picture on the card but my rear wiper works fine with 203 out. Not sure what else might be effected by having the fuse pulled.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #52
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't pulled the fuse but I know you can do it that way, maybe someone that has pulled the fuse can jump in and mention the correct fuse.
Not sure if there was a difference in flap changing ability between sport and other modes, but you can hear and feel (hand in front of right side pipe) the difference when opening and closing the flap with the engine running, no need for diagnostic mode. Once the fuse is pulled it'll be open in all modes for sure.
$32 for the app and some for the adaptor, if you don't already have it. To be honest I bought the app to play with the valve and haven't used it since. Flap is still in auto.
There is a way to make it happen without bimmerlink, it's on the forum too somewhere, it's going to require you sitting in the trunk, ready to pull the fuse while someone is driving under circumstances that'll open the valve (sport mode over a certain speed and/or a certain RPM). Worth $32 to not have to do that....
Yes I agree that $32 is worth it. What does Auto mode do on the flap? Buying it now.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #53
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
I've used BimmerLink to open the flap then pulled the F203 fuse. Once the flap is opened and the fuse removed I can confirm it remains that way until you put the fuse back in and put the flap to auto again. The fuse card seems to indicate F203 also supplies a circuit which looks like the rear wiper from the picture on the card but my rear wiper works fine with 203 out. Not sure what else might be effected by having the fuse pulled.
Just so that I don't screw anything up can you send a picture of where exactly this fuse is and how do I get access to it in the trunk? Anything I should be aware of or cautious of before, while and after doing this fuse pull?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #54
agzx517
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW G05

Quote:
Just so that I don't screw anything up can you send a picture of where exactly this fuse is and how do I get access to it in the trunk? Anything I should be aware of or cautious of before, while and after doing this fuse pull?

Bumping this I'm buying everything now. I'm the type that messes things up
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #55
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Just hooked up a 2020 x5 40i to bimmercode and there is no option for the exhaust flap...
Anybody who has don’t this on a 2019. Which control module did you find the exhaust flap function in?
Thanks in advance

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #56
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
Just hooked up a 2020 x5 40i to bimmercode and there is no option for the exhaust flap...
Anybody who has don't this on a 2019. Which control module did you find the exhaust flap function in?
Thanks in advance
As discussed and answered many many times on this forum, flap cannot be coded (or at least no one has ever indicated any such capability to date). As such, BimmerCode is not useful for dealing with the flap.

However, BimmerLink app (completely separate app from the same developer as BimmerCode) can be used to control the flap after starting the engine. That, in turn, can allow permanently opening the flap by either fuse removal or flap solenoid cable disconnection with flap in open position in either case. There are also mechanical means to permanently open the flap that don't involve software, fuses, or cables. It is also possible to open the flap by driving and then pull the fuse during the drive.
Attached Images

12-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #57
agzx517
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW G05

Hi guys, I did this with my son pulling the fuse while driving in sport+ M2 and having RPM go above 4 at about 40mph. Super easy. I'm not quite sure it worked though. I would download bimmerlink, however I dont see it in the android Play store US. Is there a way to see the flaps open? Someone mentioned you can feel the air/heat coming from the right exhaust. Is that true? Would the air/heat come out of both exhausts?

Thanks yall
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #58
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agzx517 View Post
I would download bimmerlink, however I dont see it in the android Play store US. Is there a way to see the flaps open?
BimmerLink is IOS only. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25620783
      12-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #59
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agzx517 View Post
Is there a way to see the flaps open? Someone mentioned you can feel the air/heat coming from the right exhaust. Is that true? Would the air/heat come out of both exhausts?
I don't have a good sense of how to determine that the flap has opened up at speed except to listen for it, but if stationary, you can easily see it by shining a light into the right hand exhaust pipe. You can also hear it if under app control. You can also see the solenoid move if you're under the car. And yes, you can feel exhaust flow when open and much reduced when closed. And yes, if conditions are such that you would see steam, you can see it as well.
      12-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #60
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

I wonder if BM3 will have this as an option?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:02 AM   #61
M powa
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi

Anyone notice , after removing the valve and leave it open , regardless comfort or sport the entire car drones really bad
Even the front row at 1600-2000 rpm , especially cruising on the highway the drone is really really loud, almost as if it’s been straight piped

Last edited by M powa; 02-17-2020 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 04:42 AM   #62
rookee
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by M powa View Post
Anyone notice , after removing the valve and leave it open , regardless comfort or sport the entire car drones really bad
Me driving an european M50i (with OPF), I would love to have any kind of sound/drone. even with open valves it's pretty damn muted.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #63
Stealthall
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M powa View Post
Even the front row at 1600-2000 rpm , especially cruising on the highway the drone is really really loud, almost as if it's been straight piped
It's not too bad. Yesterday I was backed up to wall and the drone was bad....normally it's a pleasant aggressive sound.

Later this week the BMS intake and Dinan piggy goes on....we'll see how the sound adjusts at that point.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #64
M powa
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi

i must be getting old lol, wasnt expecting such drone. Was thinking pure exhaust sound. At least thats what happened on the 435 when i kept the flap on

in the city its not too bad, however once u hit the freeway.....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #65
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

I noticed the drone too, it doesn’t sound sporty to me, more like an old banger with a hole in its exhaust! So for that reason I don’t much bother to use BimmerLink to open the flap now.

What I’ve noticed recently is that in Sport+ I think the valve is open at lower RPM than 4K. In an underground garage I park in I hear a lot more exhaust sounds with the drivers window down when in Sport+ over just Sport and this is at low engine RPM and sub 15mph speeds
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 09:15 PM   #66
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Has anyone noticed a reduction in power by keeping the flap open?
Appreciate 0