BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-27-2020, 05:40 AM   #1
sambarretta
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d G05 2021

Merino Ivory or Vernasca & Sky Lounge?

I've finally placed an order for a G05 40d coming in March 2021. Black Sapphire, M Sport Pro, Tech Pack, Piano Black trim Electric Towbar and Sky Lounge. Gone for the 742 22" alloys and ivory Vernasca. I still have time to change the build and am uncertain of whether it's worth changing some specs. My budget is almost maxed out so if i add i'll need to remove. Question is what do people think about the Sky Lounge? I have added it as a special piece for my 4 and 6 year olds, we do some long journeys across Europe with a caravan and am torn between Ivory Vernasca and Sky Lounge or Comfort Pack and Merino Ivory. Does anyone have any photos of the piano with either ivory trim? The BMW builder is not very impressive. Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I have the sky lounge and honestly wish I did not. My 3-year old likes it being lit up, but it is not something that holds his attention: it just looks like a bunch of coloured dots. I often turn it off so he can see the sky. On road trips, the sky is much more interesting.

The worst part about the sky lounge is that even when it is off (you have to turn off ALL ambient lighting to turn it off) it still leaves white dots on the moonroof glass. Therefore your view of the sky is always obscured.

All in all, I find the sky lounge idiotic and annoying, and would have paid NOT to have it. But it came with the option package my car has, so nothing I can do.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
sambarretta
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d G05 2021

Thanks Jonny, quick question on the roof, here in the UK we only have the option of Sky Lounge or no sun roof at all. I wish I knew why but we can't just order a standard sunroof. Is the roof needed or would you say i'd be better putting the cash into the leather upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambarretta View Post
Thanks Jonny, quick question on the roof, here in the UK we only have the option of Sky Lounge or no sun roof at all. I wish I knew why but we can't just order a standard sunroof. Is the roof needed or would you say i'd be better putting the cash into the leather upgrade?
Everyone has their own specific preferences when it comes to the sunroof. I've had my X5 for a little over a year and I can count on one hand how many times I've even opened the sunroof. I also opted for the Merino leather and luxury seating package with ventilated and massaging seats. To me, the seating package and leather upgrade where much more worth it than the spending money on the executive package(only way to get sky lounge here in the US). Even if the sky lounge was a stand alone option, I wouldn't have opted for it. My wife's X7 has the sky lounge and it's honestly a gimmick. Nothing I would recommend. There are much better options to spend your money on.
      12-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambarretta View Post
For me personally the sunroof (skylounge or not) is critical. I have had one car in recent years without a sunroof. Having it -> not having it drove me insane. I felt like the roof was always coming down on me.

So long as it isn't raining I usually end up with it open or tilted. The shade is always open. I live in an area with generally decent weather though, so really it is up to you as the other person said. I'd personally opt for vernasca + skylounge over merino + no sunroof.
      01-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Hello, new here (and to BMW) and thought I’d chip in a little where I can... Whether to have a sunroof is really quite a personal preference. I’ve had a sunroof of some shape or form in my cars over the last 20 odd years, more recently my last one with a panoramic sunroof (as with the G05) and find it indispensable. I generally like things light and airy (including structural spaces like homes and restaurants), and the car is no different. I always have the shades fully retracted to let the light in except for the harshest of summer suns.

While the Vernasca leather isn’t as supple as the merino, if it was to forgo the sunroof, I’d definitely go with the sunroof. From what I’ve read, kids would find more entertainment looking through a sunroof (even if without the sky lounge dots) than without too.

From what I’ve seen on videos (never seen it in real life), the sky lounge dots really only show themselves in the darkness of the night without much city lights around (jonnycrash or anyone else with it can correct me if I’m wrong). In Hong Kong where I am, I suspect it would go hardly noticed even at night in the city. Might be different if you’re on the backroads in the UK.

On the topic of seats, do yours come standard with lumbar support? I was quite disappointed to learn it’s not standard on a vehicle of this price (had it on cheaper cars I had before). Definitely something I would add if not, as it will certainly come handy some time down the track even if not needed on short daily runs...

Summary: I’d go with Vernasca + panoramic sunroof
Appreciate 0