BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #1
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

G05 x5 - hud

Maybe a silly question - using Apple CarPlay, when I press the phone button on my steering wheel I get the recent calls list on my HUD, which I can scroll down and then dial a number.

How do I get my phone book or favourites list here instead??
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

AFAIK you can't in the HUD. Its recent calls only.

You will have to use the main display to navigate the phonebook etc.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
AFAIK you can't in the HUD. Its recent calls only.

You will have to use the main display to navigate the phonebook etc.
That is one one the main disadvantages of car play.

I preferred the way the idrive phone book works and just writing the name with my finger on the controller.

For some other reasons I prefer CarPlay (playlists not complete ik Idrive and activating Siri on the steering wheel). I tried using Siri to make my calls and for me it works almost all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

It’s annoying that BMW haven’t update the HUD to reflect CarPlay given the latest software update allows Apple Maps to be displayed.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
It’s annoying that BMW haven’t update the HUD to reflect CarPlay given the latest software update allows Apple Maps to be displayed.
CarPlay navigation can now be displayed on the HUD if you have the 07/2020 iDrive update.
Appreciate 1
1230vani650.00
      12-01-2020, 04:48 AM   #6
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
CarPlay navigation can now be displayed on the HUD if you have the 07/2020 iDrive update.
Even Waze? Sweet.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #7
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Quote:
Even Waze? Sweet.
Only Apple Maps shows in HUD, and it's watered down detail compared to iDrive HUD nav. Google Maps and Waze still do not show up on HUD when in use.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F25 2.8i , '21 G5 45e

For 45e owners the question remains if the apple maps help with regen? Probably not so its more for your convenience.
      12-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketrab View Post
For 45e owners the question remains if the apple maps help with regen? Probably not so its more for your convenience.
No it doesn't. You still need to navigate in Idrive for that functionality. But you can put idrive on the hub and TomTom on the central screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #10
DickyS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

The recent calls list is from the phone's OS, nothing to do with CarPlay. You can test that by disabling CarPlay and the recent call list remains. And it has always been there with Android too.

For the HUD integration of Waze, Google Maps on CarPlay and Waze on Android Auto, it's up to the app developers to make the updates. The 07/2020 software makes the HUD display available to the phone's OS as another secondary display (just like the CID) so BMW have done their bit.

Like other posters have mentioned, the third party app HUD integration that has been made available (Apple Maps on CarPlay, Google Maps on Android Auto) have so far been pretty basic and not as good as the native BMW nav maps. That's because the HUD integration and available feature set (usually as the third screen from the phone's PoV) varies so much across manufacturers.

There are simply not enough BMW owners with the fancy HUDs yet to warrant developers doing anything special. It remains to be seen whether BMW will fund some of the app development costs to give themselves another differentiator in terms of phone integration. My guess is they won't see the value in doing so.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #11
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyS View Post
The recent calls list is from the phone's OS, nothing to do with CarPlay. You can test that by disabling CarPlay and the recent call list remains. And it has always been there with Android too.

For the HUD integration of Waze, Google Maps on CarPlay and Waze on Android Auto, it's up to the app developers to make the updates. The 07/2020 software makes the HUD display available to the phone's OS as another secondary display (just like the CID) so BMW have done their bit.

Like other posters have mentioned, the third party app HUD integration that has been made available (Apple Maps on CarPlay, Google Maps on Android Auto) have so far been pretty basic and not as good as the native BMW nav maps. That's because the HUD integration and available feature set (usually as the third screen from the phone's PoV) varies so much across manufacturers.

There are simply not enough BMW owners with the fancy HUDs yet to warrant developers doing anything special. It remains to be seen whether BMW will fund some of the app development costs to give themselves another differentiator in terms of phone integration. My guess is they won't see the value in doing so.
Yet another excellent reason not to use this gimmick. Hopefully the guys who elect to read a map or browse their phone log history, contacts list, media choices, etc., in the windshield can still see someone's child crossing the street. This kind of crap just diverts your attention away from what is most important when while operating a vehicle but still far less dangerous than texting.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:53 AM   #12
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Yet another excellent reason not to use this gimmick. Hopefully the guys who elect to read a map or browse their phone log history, contacts list, media choices, etc., in the windshield can still see someone's child crossing the street. This kind of crap just diverts your attention away from what is most important when while operating a vehicle but still far less dangerous than texting.
Are you saying that looking at these things in the central display is safer than when they are displayed in HUD? Interesting thought.
Appreciate 3
Paladin15549.50
smomin23311.00
      12-02-2020, 06:01 AM   #13
BrummyGit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e M Sport

Quote:
That's OK - Driving Assist Pedestrian Detection will take care of that
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 04:11 AM   #14
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
I don't really agree with this. Using the HUD keeps your eyes on the road far more then using the central display or dash.
Appreciate 3
      12-03-2020, 04:42 AM   #15
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Totally disagree as its better to have it in the wind shield in the line of sight vs the alternative of looking down to the idrive screen.

OP you're best using Voice Command to get the number you need dialled from the phone book. Works with both CarPlay and standard iDrive commands and zero need then to look away from the road.
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #16
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrummyGit View Post
That's OK - Driving Assist Pedestrian Detection will take care of that
lol
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #17
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

Can the hud atleast show your playlist if using CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 09:18 AM   #18
keeva381
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6 G06 X40i

Anyone know how to remove the speed limit box in the HUD? I can't stand the white little box in my view all day.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:11 PM   #19
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeva381 View Post
Anyone know how to remove the speed limit box in the HUD? I can't stand the white little box in my view all day.
You should be able to turn it off in the HUD settings.
Attached Images

02-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #20
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

I really like having the speed limit visible in the HUD, although it isn’t 100% accurate. One of my favorite things about this group is seeing everyone’s preferences and how they set up there car and the different driving styles. I’m always finding things I never thought to try and things I’d never do even if I thought about them!

Back to HUD: Does anyone else have to adjust the HUD to near maximum height to not cut off the bottom information? I’m average height for a male, 5’10”, maybe I sit lower than the normal driver?

Again the HUD for me was one of those options I never needed until I got it, now I can’t see having a car without it.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #21
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
I really like having the speed limit visible in the HUD, although it isn’t 100% accurate. One of my favorite things about this group is seeing everyone’s preferences and how they set up there car and the different driving styles. I’m always finding things I never thought to try and things I’d never do even if I thought about them!

Back to HUD: Does anyone else have to adjust the HUD to near maximum height to not cut off the bottom information? I’m average height for a male, 5’10”, maybe I sit lower than the normal driver?

Again the HUD for me was one of those options I never needed until I got it, now I can’t see having a car without it.
For sure, i raised my height like 5 ticks to the right of the neutral setting and it still feels too low. 6' tall and my head is maybe 4 inches shy of hitting the roof lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 12:05 PM   #22
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post

For sure, i raised my height like 5 ticks to the right of the neutral setting and it still feels too low. 6' tall and my head is maybe 4 inches shy of hitting the roof lol.
I am 6,3 feet. My seat in the lowest position and HUD in the neutral position.

The only issue I have is that the top op the steering wheel is blocking the vision of the top part of the dash.
Appreciate 0