BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just wondering if the air suspension is worth it?

I'm ordering mine with M sport but if I add the air suspension, will it make the car floaty? What happens to DHP M sport suspension, when air is also added? Is air suspension reliable?

My build:
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...4glprn/summary
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

I'm ordering mine with M sport but if I add the air suspension, will it make the car floaty? What happens to DHP M sport suspension, when air is also added? Is air suspension reliable?

My build:
Can't have DHP and air, it's either one or the other or M Adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

After having air suspension on my X5 I would doubt I will ever get a vehicle without it. I definitely think it is worth the price and noticed a difference in "smoothness" when driving a loaner without it. It all depends of course what you goal is and what your perception of floatly is. If you want the most sporty ride possible then it would not be for you but if you want comfort with some handling capabilities when needed then you will be very happy with it.

DHP is not available for the 40i or 50i, only the M50i. The MSport suspension is replaced with the air suspension.
Appreciate 1
cjack29.50
      11-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #4
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
There was a thread regarding this recently:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666347

It all boils down to personal preference and what you're wanting to do with it as TurtleBoy stated. The air suspension is a much more comfortable and smoother ride, but if you're looking for something very sporty and stays flat in the curves, it's not the suspension for you.

I personally got the air suspension because for me, SUV's are more about comfort.

The best way to tell would be to just get out and take a test drive of both suspensions.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:20 PM   #5
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

I’m coming from 4 series Gran Coupe with adaptive M suspension. That suspension was 90% of time set to sport mode (firm). You could feel everything surface wise. The car did feel like a go cart taking turns. Comfort level was bad though

I took air suspension on X5 and I would take it again. I drive around in adaptive (x5 45e) mode so comfort style suspension 90% of time now because the X5 makes me more of a cruiser really. I don’t feel the same urge to take those turns that hard compared to the 4 series.

In sport mode it is reasonably tight to take turns and drive more sport style. It doesn’t have same stiffness as the adaptive m suspension of my 4 series.

I guess to get as close to that as possible you should take other option and not go for air suspension. However, you would loose comfort level depending on how good the roads are where you live. In Belgium roads are a disaster.

The air suspension definitely gives me the comfort I never had and I like it. What I also like is the ability to lower the car, getting stuff in or out of the trunk or just putting it down when it’s parked because it just looks bad ass I have a dog also so later on when I have a cage it will also be helpful that the dog can jump in and out more easily.
Appreciate 3
      11-20-2019, 05:32 AM   #6
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Without a doubt, it’s worth it. Aside from the ride comfort, the ability to raise and lower is huge. Obviously the lowering has its advances such as ease of entry/exit and loading/unloading. It’s nice, especially if you have kids or dogs. I love the ability to raise for a few reasons. You can really get into the crevices and otherwise inaccessible areas. This is great for checking for nails in tires or for seeing if there’s any issues underneath (branches or other junk).

Also, it’s fun to lower it at stoplights and see the people’s reaction behind you in your review. I couldn’t imagine an suv without it now. It still handles like a champ, but obviously it’ll be a little less desirable around corners and what not than the other “sporty” suspensions. Honestly, for an SUV, I will take the comfort and other benefits of the air suspension. If you want to have fun, you’ll still get it with this vehicle and suspension. Trust me!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:41 AM   #7
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Was in the same boat as you. Ordered a 40i Msport so I drove both examples on the lot. Key findings: air suspension was not floaty, but it wasn't as planted as the M adaptive. The M adaptive was nearly as comfortable as air in comfort.

Air self levels which is great for loading and towing, but I have concerns with reliability of air.

Ended up going with M adaptive.
      11-20-2019, 06:17 AM   #8
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
I’m coming from 4 series Gran Coupe with adaptive M suspension. That suspension was 90% of time set to sport mode (firm). You could feel everything surface wise. The car did feel like a go cart taking turns. Comfort level was bad though

I took air suspension on X5 and I would take it again. I drive around in adaptive (x5 45e) mode so comfort style suspension 90% of time now because the X5 makes me more of a cruiser really. I don’t feel the same urge to take those turns that hard compared to the 4 series.

In sport mode it is reasonably tight to take turns and drive more sport style. It doesn’t have same stiffness as the adaptive m suspension of my 4 series.

I guess to get as close to that as possible you should take other option and not go for air suspension. However, you would loose comfort level depending on how good the roads are where you live. In Belgium roads are a disaster.

The air suspension definitely gives me the comfort I never had and I like it. What I also like is the ability to lower the car, getting stuff in or out of the trunk or just putting it down when it’s parked because it just looks bad ass I have a dog also so later on when I have a cage it will also be helpful that the dog can jump in and out more easily.

Same here. Air suspension standard on 45e. Combined with the self driving it makes you cruise. No more traffic tickets (so I hope)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #9
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
As some mentioned, the ability to raise and lower the suspension is a great advantage with the air. Lowering makes exiting, particularly with someone who needs it - elderly, children, handicapped - much easier, as well as loading and unloading heavy cargo. I never plan on taking my $90k+ X5 down a real Jeep trail, but raising it allows driving down a rutted road to a campsite feasible without worrying about ripping out important bits under the car. Even more critically, I found with my previous Q7 with air suspension, I could actually drive in the typical early winter foot of snow here. Otherwise, with a normal lowered suspension you end up pushing a glacier if you have no ability to raise the undercarriage, no matter what type of tires or 4WD you're running - and the county plows my neighborhood last. The air suspension option in the X5 at least gets me to my mailbox and back in December, or to the corner grocery, something I could never do in a 6-foot high, 5,000 pound, flattened suspension SUV, even with big shiny black wheels and a 567 bhp engine. Although it would be cool circuiting the Nurburgring in the Spring.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Here is the different point of view on the air suspension – It is primary used for comfort – that’s why you only see it in “Limo” versions of BMW cars – no M car has it.
There are 3 reasons why it is not quite at its prime
1) Performance is not quite on par with regular spring and damper suspension. Characteristics of springs are linear – therefore when fully compressed they are predictable at the limit. Air compresses progressively and at the limit it is explosive – so there is a risk of rebound and losing control at extreme loads
2) Slow reaction times – air suspension is painfully slow. Raising and lowering the car requires super long times. To the point of unusable. All this talk about lowering at exit – it is impossible to do in real life. One has to wait for several minutes at every stop with running car and not opening doors to lower the car. Plus the range is really minimal – not enough to load old people in and not enough to raise it to really go off roading
3) Reliability – air shocks and compressors will always break more often. I’m on the third dealer visit with F15 rear air suspension for my friend.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #11
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
2) Slow reaction times – air suspension is painfully slow. Raising and lowering the car requires super long times. To the point of unusable. All this talk about lowering at exit – it is impossible to do in real life. One has to wait for several minutes at every stop with running car and not opening doors to lower the car. Plus the range is really minimal – not enough to load old people in and not enough to raise it to really go off roading
Several minutes? That's a gross exaggeration. Although I have not timed it, the time to lower to the lowest setting from the standard height is roughly 15-20 seconds, and you can begin the process before coming to a complete stop (i.e. as I'm pulling slowly into the garage I've already begun the lowering process)

Also it does not require the car to be running. The air suspension can be adjusted even while the car is off.

It definitely helps in loading/unloading. My wife is shorter, and at standard height getting our daughter in and out of her car seat is not the easiest, so even fractions of an inch help.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #12
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

My build:
I recommend the air suspension.

While I had other issues with my 2019 off road, suspension was never in question and used it daily living in the mountains. Just replaced last week unexpectedly and air suspension or off road packs were a must. Was fortunate to find at least the former. Very comfortable, plenty stiff on mountain curves even without selecting sport plus or individual. Car lowers automatically in sport plus. Used to raise in gravel mode, but now have to do manual which is fine. My only complaint is the low speed limits required for high level. My 2017 Discovery lowers over 50 mph and I think my 2012 and 2014 were something like 35. Always reliable, but I use it often. Performance, convenience, flexibility for clearance. A must for me in the mountains or the city. Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Several minutes? That's a gross exaggeration. Although I have not timed it, the time to lower to the lowest setting from the standard height is roughly 15-20 seconds, and you can begin the process before coming to a complete stop (i.e. as I'm pulling slowly into the garage I've already begun the lowering process)

Also it does not require the car to be running. The air suspension can be adjusted even while the car is off.

It definitely helps in loading/unloading. My wife is shorter, and at standard height getting our daughter in and out of her car seat is not the easiest, so even fractions of an inch help.
https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1670226
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Nowhere in that thread does it say how long it takes.

I have air suspension, it takes seconds to lower, not minutes. You can begin the lowering process before coming to a complete stop.

While I agree BMW should allow for it to be programmable, your statements of it taking several minutes to lower and that the car needs to be running are simply incorrect.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

^^^^^^^
What he said.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      11-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #16
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nowhere in that thread does it say how long it takes.

I have air suspension, it takes seconds to lower, not minutes. You can begin the lowering process before coming to a complete stop.

While I agree BMW should allow for it to be programmable, your statements of it taking several minutes to lower and that the car needs to be running are simply incorrect.
Same. And the reason it doesn't lower with the doors open - mentioned in that thread - is likely the same as in my Q7. So you don't lower the edge of your door onto a high curb, or a rock. Or your lawnmower or kid's tricycle. And possibly bend the hinges. I'm sure no one on this forum would do that. But astonishingly, there might be X5 owners who would. So perhaps BMW is simply trying to accommodate the inattentive, oblivious, unfortunate individuals we sometimes observe walking into a fountain while on their cell phone in the mall. Or texting while they drive. And again I'm sure no one here.
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #17
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Mine is probably 10 seconds max to get from the mid-point or "normal level" to the lowest setting. I find the conditions for when it says "level change not available" odd, since it'll pop up sometimes even when the conditions in the manual are not met. A quick engine start then stop fixes this...hope I am not burning something up though!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #18
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

If you like S-Class drive then the air suspension is for you. If you prefer M3 then you will probably not like the air suspension.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #19
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I have an m3 on kw suspension and X5 with air rides fantastic imo. Still very sporty in sport plus and very smooth and comfortable
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #20
Kotkot
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Although bit floaty..it’s just fine for even very aggressive driving. And I had M4 comp for comparison. Also, I tow 6000lbs boat..so for me load leveling is outstanding.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #21
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

How does the height of the M adaptive compare to the 2 axle air? Is M adaptive height equivalent to the normal, dynamic or sport setting height from 2 axle air?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 05:29 AM   #22
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiddiq1 View Post
How does the height of the M adaptive compare to the 2 axle air? Is M adaptive height equivalent to the normal, dynamic or sport setting height from 2 axle air?
X5 xDrive40i/50i ground clearance for all suspension options: standard, 2VR-air/off-road (Normal height), M adaptive (not avail on 50i) is 8.7"

X5 M50i ground clearance with standard M Adaptive or DHP with Adaptive M Pro is 8.3"

X5 M50i ground clearance with 2VR-air is 8.7"

M50i with M Adaptive or DHP with Adaptive M Pro is -10mm lower than the X5 standard ground clearance of 8.7" or equivalent in height to the 2-axle air suspension "Dynamic" level which is not selectable.

2VR-Air
Off-road Level = +1.56 inches or 10.27"
High Level = +0.787 inches or 9.487"
Standard = 8.7"
Dynamic Level -10mm = -0.394 inches or 8.3" ground clearance
Sport Level -20mm = -0.787 inches or 7.9" of ground clearance

TLDR;

40i M Sport with M Adaptive is equivalent to 2VR-air Normal height - 8.7"

M50i with standard M Adaptive or DHP with Adaptive M Pro is equivalent to 2VR-air Dynamic height - 8.3"

40i M Sport and M50i with 2VR-air in Sport mode provides the lowest drivable ground height - 7.9"

Note: all X7s including M50i come standard with 2VR-air. Adding DHP does not remove 2VR-air suspension.

Link to original discussion:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1651791
Attached Images

Appreciate 0