BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
JayInVa
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport Tanzanite Blue

Battery Management

Not to rehash this again, but has anyone else seen this error? The only info I could find on the forums was here:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1612639

I have an appointment with my SA this week for the second time in the past month for this issue. The first time this message popped up, my SA indicated that the cause of it was due to the fact that the latest iDrive 11/2019.41 didn't "fully take" with some of the ECUs.

The car has been driving fine otherwise. Only thing I've noticed has coincided with this error is that the weather has been cold. I don't have any peripherals (e.g. dash cam,etc) connected except a flash drive in the cup holder area.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #2
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

improper shutdown of vehicle
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #3
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Yes I've had that before, it means your Battery is getting low.

The dealer dealt with it by putting it on a high current charger for 1 hour, and it went away.

Watch out for using the cars accessories without the engine switched on, especially if you have a dash cam or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

delete
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #5
JayInVa
Private
Rep

Ok, I can't believe this. My X5 has been in the shop for a day for them to perform a battery draw to see why this message keeps popping up. My SA claims his tech discovered the IBS cable/block has gone bad. Brand new car of 6 months and something like this goes bad already??
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
Millennium68
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 2016

Friend of mine is having this message popup time to time. Recently after he came from 2 weeks vacation, he could not get in into car - battery was dead. BMW advised him to drive a car more before vacation..... - strange advise. He is bringing a car now to dealership for research!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
JayInVa
Private
Rep

That was exactly how mine started. Randomly, 1-2x a week, the message would pop up when started up the car. It seemed to start doing this with advent of the cold weather this season.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 02:29 PM   #8
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

The same message has just come back, around 2 weeks after they fixed it (see above).

Looks like some battery draw is happening from somewhere....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium68 View Post
BMW advised him to drive a car more before vacation..... - strange advise.
Jokers. About as useful as this:
Attached Images

01-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
The G05, more than any car I've owned, benefits from a trickle charger, even garaged. You might even say it requires one, from all the reports.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
The G05, more than any car I've owned, benefits from a trickle charger, even garaged. You might even say it requires one, from all the reports.
Sad that it cannot maintain its own battery when used, lets say once a week. I always have my X3 on a tender but that's because its a car I bought for trips so it sits in the garage until we need it. Sometimes when my wife goes out ramming on the town I ask her to take the X so it gets driven. She has never done so and one of the reasons is she doesn't want to mess with the battery tender.
I did convince her one time but never will try again. Why? Cause she backed the X out of the garage without disconnecting the tender! I guess she sure told me!!!
Appreciate 1
Paladin15549.50
      01-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #12
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Sad that it cannot maintain its own battery when used, lets say once a week. I always have my X3 on a tender but that's because its a car I bought for trips so it sits in the garage until we need it. Sometimes when my wife goes out ramming on the town I ask her to take the X so it gets driven. She has never done so and one of the reasons is she doesn't want to mess with the battery tender.
I did convince her one time but never will try again. Why? Cause she backed the X out of the garage without disconnecting the tender! I guess she sure told me!!!
Oops!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #13
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what it means, but I'd be more concerned about my wife ramming around the town than messing with my battery tender.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      01-30-2020, 08:59 PM   #14
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe she did so to give you a lecture never bother her again.

In all seriousness, I am getting a m50i. But my situation is that for daily drive, I only have like 5km from my home to work and it's city driving. m50i won't be able to stretch much of her leg. Is it gonna be a problem for the battery? Is the battery easily accessible, so I can put a trickle charger on every week or so? Anybody can take a picture to show me?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:06 PM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post

In all seriousness, I am getting a m50i. But my situation is that for daily drive, I only have like 5km from my home to work and it's city driving. m50i won't be able to stretch much of her leg. Is it gonna be a problem for the battery? Is the battery easily accessible, so I can put a trickle charger on every week or so? Anybody can take a picture to show me?
Thanks
Naaaa, it was simply absent mindedness from not driving it often enough and the irony is its her car! She picked it out and wanted it over a BMW station wagon that I wanted, so I bought it without driving it, figured it was a BMW, been buying them for years, I don't need to drive it and if she likes it, its good enough for me.

Then, she bought a Golf diesel and stopped driving the X, she then sold the diesel back to VW when Dieselgate hit and bought a GTi and still doesn't drive the X. She's just out of practice and forgot about it being on the battery tender. Well, anyway, we only use it for trips anymore. I freaked when she came back in the house and told me, but in the end, there wasn't a mark on the car to be seen and the tender wires just pulled apart without any damage. Whew!

BMW's have always given us a battery + terminal in the engine compartment (red plastic cap covering it) and there are plenty of places to find a negative terminal or frame member. Just get a battery tender with the alligator clips or as a friend of mine does on his Jag, he uses ring terminals and mounts the connections in a more "secure" way and then just pulls apart the disconnect inline connections on the tenders cable when he wants to drive it. I has a set of batteries last 14 years on an 840 I had - impressive!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:52 PM   #16
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post

Thanks
Here are the charging points on the 40i under the hood (2 & 3, negative and positive, respectively). Don't have the 50i manual but I expect is similar:

Name:  SmartSelect_20200130-224916_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Views: 4626
Size:  796.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:12 AM   #17
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Any issue leaving the hood unlatched for the lead to the charger? Will it prevent the vehicle from completely shutting down or create an error code?

Also, a number have described using a battery tender. I have one, over 20 years old that works perfectly, but is there anything unusual to consider with the X5's battery; e.g. AGM vs lead acid?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:19 AM   #18
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Any issue leaving the hood unlatched for the lead to the charger? Will it prevent the vehicle from completely shutting down or create an error code?

Also, a number have described using a battery tender. I have one, over 20 years old that works perfectly, but is there anything unusual to consider with the X5's battery; e.g. AGM vs lead acid?
Leaving the hood unlatched is fine, and I expect recommended to avoid pinching the cable. I think some folks have actually attached permanent leads to the charge points to the exterior, but not necessary. I believe a 20 year old tender might be a little dated for modern electronics, but can't verify - I'm not sure I'd trust my $90K electronics to it. The G05 does in fact have 2 batteries, one of them Li-Ion, but I think it charges off the main battery. My tender (BMW) does have a Li-Ion option.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #19
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Leaving the hood unlatched is fine, and I expect recommended to avoid pinching the cable. I think some folks have actually attached permanent leads to the charge points to the exterior, but not necessary. I believe a 20 year old tender might be a little dated for modern electronics, but can't verify - I'm not sure I'd trust my $90K electronics to it. The G05 does in fact have 2 batteries, one of them Li-Ion, but I think it charges off the main battery. My tender (BMW) does have a Li-Ion option.
Yes, the Li-Ion battery interfaces to the vehicles electrical system through the power control unit located on the right side of the cargo area. This handles current in both directions; charging of the Li-Ion battery and powering the vehicle's electrical system under certain conditions (e.g. ASS). So, a charger needs to be matched to the main battery. It's an AGM, and don't recall if an AGM has an differing charging requirements to a non-AGM lead acid.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #20
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
...a number have described using a battery tender. I have one, over 20 years old that works perfectly, but is there anything unusual to consider with the X5's battery; e.g. AGM vs lead acid?
You do need to find out if your 20 year old battery tender works with an AGM battery. If you no longer have the owners manual or other paperwork...just google the brand and model for a manual or specs. If it does not mention that it can "maintain" an AGM battery...then save it for use with regular aka "wet cell" lead acid batteries and get something new that can charge/float/maintain an AGM battery...and hopefully a lithium battery if you have one as an auxiliary power source.

And ALWAYS use the engine bay jump start terminals when trickle charging modern BMWs which have an IBS (intelligent battery sensor). When you bypass that module, you can set yourself up for check control and possibly battery charging issues.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #21
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info. So, I take it, the main battery is an AGM?

Can't help but smile at the requirement in the BMW document to only use battery chargers approved by BMW, as if somehow, their batteries are different than others.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #22
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the info. So, I take it, the main battery is an AGM?

Can't help but smile at the requirement in the BMW document to only use battery chargers approved by BMW, as if somehow, their batteries are different than others.
It is a legalese caution, but while their batteries aren't likely different and "just theirs", battery management and electronics are. So the caution is not as empty as usual.

Yes, the main battery is AGM.