BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-27-2023, 02:09 AM   #1
flatland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

3ch dashcam Blackvue DR770x

Hello all,

Do any of you have some experience with Blackvue DR770x dash cams? I'm thinking about installing a 3 cam setup (front, back and inside).
Reason is simple, my 2 previous BMWs were keyed (including a one week old F10 I'm still PTSD' on) or hit so I'm looking at the possibility to catch max data for the upcoming E50 as front and back might not be enough.

https://blackvue.com/dashcams/3ch-cloud/

It is super expensive though but has some basic cloud services coming with it.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 09:30 AM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I'm not familiar with this particular model but i've used Blackvue in the past and i think they are good. I like the barrel design because it doesn't take much real estate on the windscreen (unlike the hideous BMW ACE 3).

However, in all honesty dash cameras are such a commodity now, pretty much anything will be fine. Normally its the underlying software that falls short rather than the camera itself.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2023, 10:07 AM   #3
wxdave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

I’ve had two Blackviews and been very happy with both. First was on my 2016 Tesla Model S (which I had professionally installed) and the second is a DR900S 2CH (4k) which I installed on my Audi A6. Can’t speak to the latest models but would assume they are equally as good.
      08-27-2023, 12:01 PM   #4
flatland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I'm not familiar with this particular model but i've used Blackvue in the past and i think they are good. I like the barrel design because it doesn't take much real estate on the windscreen (unlike the hideous BMW ACE 3).

However, in all honesty dash cameras are such a commodity now, pretty much anything will be fine. Normally its the underlying software that falls short rather than the camera itself.
Indeed there are many exotic options. This one get my attention as there's a possibility the install a third camera inside the car and to have videos saved on the cloud.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 12:10 PM   #5
flatland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxdave View Post
I’ve had two Blackviews and been very happy with both. First was on my 2016 Tesla Model S (which I had professionally installed) and the second is a DR900S 2CH (4k) which I installed on my Audi A6. Can’t speak to the latest models but would assume they are equally as good.
This one has a lower quality front camera for some reason.
Now why BMW hasn't got a decent way to use its existing cameras for consumer security/safety reasons is beyond me. I guess they will get there once their mutation from ICE to software maker will be done (don't hit me for this opinion).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 01:25 PM   #6
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
I’ve only had the 2 channel ones and it’s been really reliable and never broke, but I wanted a screen and switched to the VIOFO 2 channel and couldn’t be happier.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 01:42 PM   #7
wxdave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatland View Post
This one has a lower quality front camera for some reason.
Now why BMW hasn't got a decent way to use its existing cameras for consumer security/safety reasons is beyond me. I guess they will get there once their mutation from ICE to software maker will be done (don't hit me for this opinion).
I completely agree and have posted to that effect elsewhere. Tesla has used their nav/parking cameras for security since 2017. Seems like a no-brainer to offer that.