BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #45
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

While an extra step...shut the vehicle off, then check the condition the cabin checkbox that comes up on the display. It will stay on for about 20-30 minutes, then shut off. That was designed so you could do a quick run into the shop to run an errand and come back to a comfortable vehicle. The radio will stay on for about 10-minutes, but it can be turned back on just by pressing the volume knob.

If it's a minute or two to get out and open a gate...nobody's going to really get chilled or overheated.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      10-29-2020, 01:51 AM   #46
Herr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e X-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
So I just checked this possibility. Regardless of the checkbox on/off, the car stays on when opening the door, when unbuckle seatbelt, it shuts off. So the question remains, what does this checkbox do for the 45e?
Yesterday I realized that I dit not check the difference in on/off checkbox. Wanted to do that today, good that you checked.
Indeed, the question stays open.
      10-29-2020, 02:09 AM   #47
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If it's a minute or two to get out and open a gate...nobody's going to really get chilled or overheated.
No, but I need the headlights to stay on to see the lock on the gate. I guess it's possible to use the follow me home lights (or whatever they are called), but still. I wish the checkbox did what it says.

EDIT: It still switches off after installing 07/2020.54.

Last edited by biterror; 10-29-2020 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #48
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Pathway lighting can be set to various times, but I'm not sure if all of them are available in iDrive...may take coding to give you more options. That would give you the lights, at least for that duration. To manually activate it (it can be automatically activated if you lock the vehicle), push the lighting lever forward momentarily.
Appreciate 1
biterror511.00
      11-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #49
Tankeren
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I have the same issue with my 2020 40i. Regardless of uncheck that box in setting, the car will turn off after I open the door..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #50
jc.bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankeren View Post
I have the same issue with my 2020 40i. Regardless of uncheck that box in setting, the car will turn off after I open the door..
Interesting that this happens with the 40i as well. I saw the same for my 45e. This is annoying specially when you have people in the car.

I was under the impression that sound stays on but AC shuts down. I'll double check that later.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #51
taybo20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xdrive45e

All these bugs have me seriously rethinking buying my 45e in 2 or 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:06 PM   #52
jc.bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taybo20 View Post
All these bugs have me seriously rethinking buying my 45e in 2 or 3 weeks.
Taking aside a few minor bugs like this and some rattling noise probably coming from the back seats, I'm a super happy owner of the 45e.

My only actual regret was the sapphire black color, which now I think was too conservative of a choice for this car.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 12:24 AM   #53
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Shutting down if the driver exits the vehicle isn't a bug...it's a purposeful choice by BMW. FWIW, the vehicle will stay running if your seatbelt is on and you open the door, as it realizes you aren't planning to exit the vehicle. You can tell it to continue the HVAC once you shut it off, if that's an issue and the entertainment system will continue to run, and restart if you press on the volume knob after it times out.

On an ICE, keeping the vehicle running might have some advantages, but not many if you're trying to optimize efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #54
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Luckily, the headlights will stay on when you exit the vehicle - I was worried that they would be switched off. I think I can live with the pain of pressing the start button when returning into the vehicle..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #55
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

What am I missing here? I have a 2020 X7 40i. I regularly have to stop the car, put it in park, unbuckle my seat belt and exit the vehicle to pick up wind strewn branches in the vehicles path. All of this while the engine is still running. When I exit the car it continues to stay running just like an old car does without all the technology.

For reference, I have iDrive set to shutdown when the driver's door is opened. However, that shutdown only shuts down the electronics "AFTER" the engine is turned off. If I don't open the driver's door, for up to 10 minutes after the car's engine is shut down, the radio/Bluetooth electronics continue to play until I open the driver's door. If I open the driver's door while the engine is running, everything continues to run including the radio/AC/Heat, Lights, etc.

Reading the previous posts it appears that your vehicles turn the engine off as soon as you open the driver's door. Is this happening on the Hybrid engines only?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:48 AM   #56
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
What am I missing here? I have a 2020 X7 40i. I regularly have to stop the car, put it in park, unbuckle my seat belt and exit the vehicle to pick up wind strewn branches in the vehicles path. All of this while the engine is still running. When I exit the car it continues to stay running just like an old car does without all the technology.

For reference, I have iDrive set to shutdown when the driver's door is opened. However, that shutdown only shuts down the electronics "AFTER" the engine is turned off. If I don't open the driver's door, for up to 10 minutes after the car's engine is shut down, the radio/Bluetooth electronics continue to play until I open the driver's door. If I open the driver's door while the engine is running, everything continues to run including the radio/AC/Heat, Lights, etc.

Reading the previous posts it appears that your vehicles turn the engine off as soon as you open the driver's door. Is this happening on the Hybrid engines only?
Mine's a hybrid, at least. So you can exit the car, come back and put it in D and continue driving without touching the Start/Stop button at all?

When I unbuckle and open the driver's door, the car shuts down (music keeps playing and the headlights stay on) and I have to Start it again before I can put it in D and continue driving. (It doesn't actually switch off the ICE because at low speeds it's running on battery already.)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 03:05 AM   #57
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Mine's a hybrid, at least. So you can exit the car, come back and put it in D and continue driving without touching the Start/Stop button at all?

When I unbuckle and open the driver's door, the car shuts down (music keeps playing and the headlights stay on) and I have to Start it again before I can put it in D and continue driving. (It doesn't actually switch off the ICE because at low speeds it's running on battery already.)
Since I don't have a hybrid my car stays running while I'm out of the vehicle. When I get back in the car all I have to do is close the door and put it in drive. No need to push the start button because the car's engine is still running.

I think this issue must be related to Hybrids only.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #58
IllustriousMari
Rep

The only quick workaround this issue I've found to work is to step on the gas a little to activate the ICE before opening my door.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #59
taybo20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc.bmw View Post
Taking aside a few minor bugs like this and some rattling noise probably coming from the back seats, I'm a super happy owner of the 45e.

My only actual regret was the sapphire black color, which now I think was too conservative of a choice for this car.
Good to know! I’m hoping to be very happy as well!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #60
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

I got an update from the dealer where the checkbox is for. When you go are driving, and stop, press the stop/start button after that moment the checkbox determines what happens when you open the door. So I think it's a matter of misinterpretation. I've suggested to update the drivers guide with an example. The dealer agreed it's a bit vague now what it does.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #61
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

this is SUPER annoying in my car... and make it so much worst if you have the digital key because you have to re-authorize yoru phone each time....

It really doens't make sense. I always step out and go get stuff in my trunk of move the car just a bit to get space to open my door and I have everythign shut off..

that is rEALLY annoying.
      12-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #62
NYBM
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Anyone find a fix? My 21 40i does this and I can’t stand it. As well as there is no button to turn off the start/stop feature when coming to a stop. Maybe need a bmw cider to fix these small bugs.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #63
almu2min
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2021 (G05)

same problem

Hi ! Bonjour ! Hallo !

This issue is "driving" me crazy... So I search on the web and I saw your posts. I have the car from 3 days ago... It is weird how we all have tried the same things to make it stop. Anyway, by reading you all, i can say two things :
1. if I put the car in sport mode, the gearbox to the left on "manual", then I activate the electrical parking brake to prevent the car from moving, I can get out and the car will stay on. I'm sure that's not the purpose of buying such that car but that works. But, what a long manipulation... and if a child gets away from his seat and for example puts his foot on the accelerator, this can be a big drama.
2. I'm thinking of something, why not try the following steps :
-stop where you want -> take away seat belt -> put the seat belt again but by attaching them from behind you (so you are free, just faking the car) -> open the door. If that works, it can be a big deal, isn't it ?

Have a nice day !
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #64
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

same here... I have a 45e so I don't have to deal with any ICE engine start/stop but still the AC stops for my passengers and in Miami is in not ideal especialy with a small child...

I undestand if BMW wants to put the carin PARK but shuttng off climate control and all, I DO NOT understand.. I hope they make an over the air update on this... as well as the really crappy 3d parking camera accuracy.
      01-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #65
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
On my MY21 40i with July iSTEP I don't seem to have this issue while using the digital key card.

My use case: I use a phone wallet and keep the key card inside. Started the X5 many times with the key card and stepped out multiple times (with and without the phone wallet). I recall getting a message on the iDrive, but the car didn't shut down. Am I missing something?
      01-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #66
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
same here... I have a 45e so I don't have to deal with any ICE engine start/stop but still the AC stops for my passengers and in Miami is in not ideal especialy with a small child...

I undestand if BMW wants to put the carin PARK but shuttng off climate control and all, I DO NOT understand.. I hope they make an over the air update on this... as well as the really crappy 3d parking camera accuracy.
In a 45e your passengers can turn the AC back on if you don't lock the car. It runs on the HV battery.
Appreciate 0