10-31-2020, 09:50 AM   #45
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
parked next to each other when I switch on my f15 with led and g05 with laser the brightness difference is remarkable. Same story when I drive. but I'm in the UK.
I attach a picture taken in the dark with engine off.
don't know if the lights on are only leds or led plus laser though.
The lasers are not enabled unless your speed is over 60 km/h.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      10-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #46
PeterK1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2022 BMW M440i  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
I thought European head light regulation is more advanced than North America and therefore the laser lights are fully functional there. On this side of the pond laser lights are code-restricted due to the archaic laws that is expected to be amended soon, awaiting final ruling; ironically the adaptive driving beam (ADB) change is requested by Toyota, not BMW.

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eA...&RIN=2127-AL83
Are Canadian spec cars subject to the same limitations as the US ones?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 10:07 AM   #47
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Not a lot of hills in southern Finland, though ...

Sorry, not familiar with the topography there, while probably not best to use it then, fog will show them also.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 10:16 AM   #48
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
I thought European head light regulation is more advanced than North America and therefore the laser lights are fully functional there. On this side of the pond laser lights are code-restricted due to the archaic laws that is expected to be amended soon, awaiting final ruling; ironically the adaptive driving beam (ADB) change is requested by Toyota, not BMW.

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eA...;RIN=2127-AL83
Are Canadian spec cars subject to the same limitations as the US ones?
Pretty much same, except a few items. For example, day time running light, lens filter to stop emitting blue light etc.
      11-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #49
pavloPL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M Sport 40i

I am in UK and benefit of lasers is minimum. If they kick in they have stronger light output in a middle of a road so lasers not illuminate sides.
The biggest problem is to trigger it. On motorways then they are the most useful it must be no other car/light posts on a road. Here in UK there are ALWAYS some lorries hanging around!. On B roads they are no chance to have a 500m straight, they are full of bends so no benefits of laser long distance as well.
The good thing is they have more LEDs so more light output and better cut out oncoming traffic on high beam.
      11-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #50
Tommy11220
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavloPL View Post
I am in UK and benefit of lasers is minimum. If they kick in they have stronger light output in a middle of a road so lasers not illuminate sides.
The biggest problem is to trigger it. On motorways then they are the most useful it must be no other car/light posts on a road. Here in UK there are ALWAYS some lorries hanging around!. On B roads they are no chance to have a 500m straight, they are full of bends so no benefits of laser long distance as well.
The good thing is they have more LEDs so more light output and better cut out oncoming traffic on high beam.
Double the LEDs seems like a pretty significant advantage in my book. Would be curious if a side by side comparison with adaptive LEDs would in fact show brighter illumination overall. As for the cutout, that would be a big plus, too
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #51
darioenter
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d f10

https://ibb.co/zx9bZSK

Laser lights, high beams, lasers of. This is that x shape of the black spot of the laser headlight. F10 adaptive led did not had these black spots?
This black shape looks like that blue plastic part in the headlight?
Sorry for the link, have no idea how to put it on forum
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #52
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy11220 View Post
Double the LEDs seems like a pretty significant advantage in my book. Would be curious if a side by side comparison with adaptive LEDs would in fact show brighter illumination overall. As for the cutout, that would be a big plus, too
As mentioned earlier, the non-laser LEDs are brighter in low beams, that is why they got a poor rating by the IIHS due to glare. Here are the test results for both but it should be noted that the high beams were not tested with the lasers active.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...019#headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #53
bluecusion
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: X5M competition

Just realized today that my laser highbeams are on at 25miles...? Or is it led thats turning on as highbeam?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #54
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecusion View Post
Just realized today that my laser highbeams are on at 25miles...? Or is it led thats turning on as highbeam?
There are two modes of the high beams, with and without lasers. If you have the auto high beams on then the without lasers will kick on first and at 37mph the lasers will kick on.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #55
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Not sure if this video helps but took it over the weekend. I have others but not on this device:

Last edited by iconoclast; 11-04-2020 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Link Expire. New Link.
Appreciate 1
pavloPL54.50
      11-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #56
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Reading all the treads here, it seems to me that very few of you are 100% sure that your Lasers are on and or working when expected.
So your either happy with the light generated or your not. I am happy with mine and I love the matrix beam system. Had it on a Merc but missed it on the Porsche so it was a definite must have on the G05
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #57
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I am very pleased with mine. I can see the cornering lights, laser lights, and high beams function as designed and intended. I have not coded them yet but I eventually will to get full functionality.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #58
darioenter
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d f10

If I would ordering my car again, I probalby would not take the laser light option. Simply because I do not see that big difference between these laser and bmw f10 adaptive led lights (I assume same would be for g05 led).
There is a lot of people here asking when they are on, is everything ok with the laser light, how can I know they are on etc. This simply means that they performance is just not noticeable.
Imagine you paid for heated seats. You press the button and after a minute or two you are thinking: hmmmm I think seats are wormer, or maybe not, Im not sure, let me check my user manual....
Or put it like this, find me one picture, or video that clearly shows when the laser part of the light is ON and OFF. I can do the same for my car, and I can guarantee tthat difference is barely visible. Only condition is that there is no fog outside. You can see laser light "line" during fog.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #59
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I suspect a fair amount of people on here are using these vehicles in urban or densely populated areas where you would not see a significant difference since you have all the lighting from the other vehicles in addition the light poles etc. I just spent several days in the mountains in a rural area without street lighting and you can absolutely see the additional lights kick on and off:

Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
      11-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #60
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

I was just driving on new, wet, black asphalt in the middle of nowhere, no cars or lights for 30 kilometers. In my opinion, the laser lights are no good. The LED lights aren't that good, either. I have never seen good headlights on a BMW (unless you add a LED bar). There's just not enough light when the road is black and surrounded by dark forests.

I have adaptive xenons with cornering lights on my F11 and I would take the non-adaptive bi-xenons of my 2002 Saab any day.

Sorry, but I'm pretty disappointed in the BMW headlights - again. I'm sure they're just fine when your driving in densely populated countries where there's never really dark, but I drive a lot in complete darkness and places where moose or a dozen reindeers can jump in front of you any moment. And hitting a moose can kill you. I really hope night vision works better than the laser lights..

EDIT: Drove on dry roads tonight and (as expected) the lights worked better. The worst scenario here is wet new asphalt because it's so dark and sucks in all the light. I feel a bit better about the lights now - but the lasers still don't impress me. ;-)

Last edited by biterror; 11-06-2020 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Added a comment
Appreciate 1
Arfy22.00
      11-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #61
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

These are coded LED headlights on an F15 50i on similar roads:

They seem to work very well and I did not have any complaints with them.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13103.00
      11-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #62
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I love my laser lights for the way they look cool besides the leds are blindingly bright same as I like my msport plus brakes because of the way they look and like laser lights any improvement in functionality is a bonus
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7257.50
Nooch19.50
      11-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #63
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Laser lights

Hey

I got laser lights on mine for bush driving in Australia. Not has a chance yet due to lock down. I drive 18 hours through mainly country roads.

I needed them because its hard to fit a set of spotlights or light bar on the new X5.

Laser lights are just the way the light is generated. On high beam or adaptive high beam

High beam = laser lights
Adaptive high beam = laser lights

The whole adaptive cornering and auto adjust for on coming traffic is changing angle and direction of the generated light.

In Australia at with adaptive high beam on at low speed the lights angle out to the sides of the road. Once you get to a higher speed shine directly ahead.

Are they any good. Good question?

Having not been able to try them in country driving(kangaroos, pigs, foxes, dingoes, cows, sheep) and God only knows what else).

To be honest the X5 lights are the brightest standard lights i hav ever experienced on a vehicle. But.... from what I have been able to test . I thinking will be looking to fit a good quality small light bar somewhere. But the wiring may be a nightmare.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      11-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #64
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfy View Post
Laser lights are just the way the light is generated. On high beam or adaptive high beam

High beam = laser lights
As a clarification, the lasers only kick in on high beams when you are traveling at least 37mph. Before that the high beam is just LEDs.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      11-06-2020, 05:05 AM   #65
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfy View Post

High beam = laser lights
As a clarification, the lasers only kick in on high beams when you are traveling at least 37mph. Before that the high beam is just LEDs.
Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 05:16 AM   #66
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
I was just driving on new, wet, black asphalt in the middle of nowhere, no cars or lights for 30 kilometers. In my opinion, the laser lights are no good. The LED lights aren't that good, either. I have never seen good headlights on a BMW (unless you add a LED bar). There's just not enough light when the road is black and surrounded by dark forests.

I have adaptive xenons with cornering lights on my F11 and I would take the non-adaptive bi-xenons of my 2002 Saab any day.

Sorry, but I'm pretty disappointed in the BMW headlights - again. I'm sure they're just fine when your driving in densely populated countries where there's never really dark, but I drive a lot in complete darkness and places where moose or a dozen reindeers can jump in front of you any moment. And hitting a moose can kill you. I really hope night vision works better than the laser lights..
Yeah. Thats my concern. Not had a chance to test in remote areas that are completely dark.

Light bar is an obvious choice. The best i have researched is Ultrvisiion Nitro Maxx.

Thinking the only option is on a roof rack.🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0