BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-09-2022, 03:02 PM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Simple Fish Recipes

In true OT fashion, I figured some of you probably have some good ideas on this topic so here it goes:

I try to cook well for my family of 4 but 1 thing that is severely missing is adding fish into my family's cuisine. I feel dumb saying this, but I'm not even sure where to start? .

Any do's and don't for incorporating fish into our diet, I am all ears...er eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Wifey does a nice mayo-based glaze for cod or scrod or haddock. Just mix it up, brush it on, and bake. I'll get the recipe posted when we get home. Cod (or scrod or haddock) is my favorite fish as it's not too fishy or oily. Pairs well with potatoes (mashed or boiled).

In Wales we had a dish called Fisherman's Pie. Like Shepherd's Pie only with fish instead of beef. Delicious. I need to learn to make that at home.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Simple? Gut and pan fry in lots of butter with lemon, salt and pepper. Save drippings to pour over the rice of your choice.

Name:  River trouts..JPG
Views: 467
Size:  886.2 KB
Appreciate 7
JJ 911SC23063.50
paquet629.50
Todd0131379.50
sygazelle11529.00
2000cs3531.50
      10-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #4
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I like to make a Blackened Mahi and Cod. It's really easy with one those George Foreman grill thingies. Pan seared Salmon is also easy. You really can't screw up fish. I also like to grill shrimp and lobster tails.
      10-09-2022, 04:51 PM   #5
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
... In Wales we had a dish called Fisherman's Pie. Like Shepherd's Pie only with fish instead of beef. Delicious. I need to learn to make that at home.
I think Mushy Peas would a great side dish addition
Appreciate 2
paquet629.50
      10-09-2022, 06:53 PM   #6
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Salmon fillets with some brandy and olive oil and pepper on a plank or on top of sliced lemons in a foil pouch - 10 mins in a hot oven should do it
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2022, 07:11 PM   #7
leopard print
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

A simple one I like is salmon fillets with some Old Bay seasoning, cayenne pepper, butter, and lemon slices. Pop it in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2022, 07:39 PM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Great addition to your diet. Fish is so easy to cook too.

I'd say start easy and get the hang of it. Then, start trying more complicated recipes.

If you have access to halibut or salmon, try this:
  • Coat in olive oil
  • Sprinkle with salt and pepper
  • Grill on BBQ for 5 to 8 or so minutes total (depending on thickness). Internal temp should be 135 degrees F. Fish should be flaky and not translucent. Let rest for 5 minutes with foil on top.
  • Use lemon too if you like it.
  • Bake in oven if you don't have a grill.

Once you realize how easy it is and how good it tastes, you will be hunting for more elaborate recipes.

I've read the other suggestions. Try them all.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2022, 07:42 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I buy my fish at wholefoods, I think about odor, clear eyes, quality of skin. I think some places clean fish in chlorinated water to hide old product.

wild caught: North Atlantic, Alaska and local - I live near a large bay

steamer ( I would grill outside if I didn't live on the top floor of a condo )

wild caught shrimp from up north

always like to pair fish with potato and or greens. also like fish with rice.

vacuum packed frozen fish I do not like, lacks flavor. Few months back bought vacuum packed frozen scallops at an organic market and when it defrosted it did not smell fresh.

I like Maryland crab meat. And rockfish with capers and lemon.

A good restaurant with good fish dishes is really a nice evening.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2022, 07:57 PM   #10
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Fish is easy to cook: baked, pan seared, broiled, grilled and smoked. All methods get the job done.

Lemon goes well with all fish IMO. Butter, lemon and herbs (dill, tarragon, thyme) go well with white fleshed fish.

Salmon stands on its own IMO and only needs salt, pepper, a bit of oil and maybe lemon if it appeals to you. Hollandaise sauce is nice with salmon, so I have just corrected myself.

Salad, veggies and starch are nice with fish. Potatoes, carrots, rice and pasta all work well. Also green beans, asparagus and cooked spinach. I prefer light or no sauce on the sides, or a simple butter or EVOO plus salt and pepper.

Try one type of fish to see if you like it. Then try a different type to expand your palate.

Consider shrimp, scallops and lobster in your fish definition. We love all of these.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2022, 08:01 PM   #11
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

These are all great thank you - I can't believe how easy it is. Just needed a few insider tips. Bet that Sheppards pie is super good!

Any specific tips for fish on the grill?

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
chassis6707.00
      10-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #12
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

If it's going in the oven it gets a thin layer of mayo on top with whatever seasoning I am in the mood for. Always buy on the half shell. Skin down in the pan and always a bit of teriyaki/Worcestershire in the bottom of the pan not as much for flavor but to help with moisture and getting the skin to release. All that aside over cooking fish is probably the biggest mistake made.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #13
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
These are all great thank you - I can't believe how easy it is. Just needed a few insider tips. Bet that Sheppards pie is super good!

Yes.

Set the grill on high and let it heat up.

If you have a griddle, put it on top of the BBQ grates and let it heat up too. If not, you can put the fish directly on the grill, but I prefer the griddle. My griddle has two sides; a smooth side and side with lines with intentions to simulate grilling I suppose. That's the side I use.

Once max temp, I turn the BBQ down to medium and put the fish on the grill with the skin side down (if there is skin). At about 4 minutes, I flip the fish and peel off the skin, close the lid and cook for another 2 minutes. Then, I flip one last time to fishing cooking the side that had the skin. The key is to not OVERCOOK. If the fish is fresh, 135 degrees F is perfect.

Just keep trying it until you get it right. Your family will tell you when that happens. You won't have to guess!
Appreciate 3
Nuckle2234.50
DocL1954.00
      10-09-2022, 08:55 PM   #14
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post

I grill salmon on foil skin side down, first coating the fish with oil. I don't flip the fish, but rather let it cook (bake, really) until done. Remove fish/foil from grill and use a spatula to portion and serve. Doesn't really matter IMO if the skin sticks to the foil. For a higher aesthetic presentation, use a fish grill basket to get grill marks on both sides. I don't use a fish basket, too much effort for too little benefit.

Grill and oven are interchangeable for me when it comes to fish.
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11529.00
      10-09-2022, 09:39 PM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
I buy my fish at wholefoods, I think about odor, clear eyes, quality of skin. I think some places clean fish in chlorinated water to hide old product.
We recently had some cod that was cleaned or treated with something to hide how old it was. We brought it home and didn't cook it until the next day. Before Wifey cooked it, she said it has a very light but unmistakable odor of ammonia. And even after it came out of the oven it smelled odd. Right into the trash. We learned later that the ammonia smell can come from processing to extend the shelf life of the fish. Not what you want to happen. We won't risk buying fish there again. The next time we went to buy fish (at a different store), I asked how long it had been out. The counter person said about 3 days. Hard pass. If you're in a coastal state, really fresh fish should be easy to find. Not so much out here in corn country.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
overcoil3081.00
      10-09-2022, 11:20 PM   #16
Bumper2Bumper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y (G80 On Order)

Salmon + Soyaki (Teriyaki sauce)
Marinate overnight in ziplock with air removed.
Pan fry with a little olive oil in non stick pan.
Dont over cook. Will keep cooking a little after.
Texture is like butter!

I do the same with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2022, 05:58 AM   #17
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

You can also try planking salmon on the grille. Get a piece of cedar (they sell wood for this at fine stores, and also cedar shingles at fine home centers). I like to get it wet, soak it if you can. Heat the grille, prepare the fish and grille as others have suggested, then put the fish on the plank, and all that on the grille. Close the lid and let it cook. It can be served on the plank.

There are tons of good cookbooks for fish and other game. I like Orvis’ book, can’t remember the title. It had a good dill-mayonaise sauce for salmon.

I prefer trout in cast iron as Lady Jane posted, cooked over a camp fire. If indoors while I like pan frying, I prefer oven cooking (broiling is my favorite), mainly because there is less mess and less odor.

My favorite fishes are wild salmon (the farm stuff is bland), trout (bony but so good), cod, tuna/albacore, and sometimes catfish (but I am wary of scavengers). I think swordfish, Halibut, Tilapia, bass, Mahi-Mahi and most other ocean white fish are bland and need a good sauce to be enjoyable. These are best blackened, IMO.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2022, 08:15 AM   #18
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Years ago, like 15, I was trying to impress my gf of 4 yrs now wife of almost 13 yrs. These posts with the mayo suggestions reminded me of a simple recipe I just sort of tried on my own and recall now that it came out fantastic. Snapper covered in mascarpone seasoned with Old Bay seasoning. I lit candles, made some kind of side and had white wine. I think it was a dating anniversary dinner. Either way, it was super good and I am going to try to make that again, our anniversary is 11/7. Have not made snapper since

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11529.00
      10-10-2022, 08:26 AM   #19
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I do this one almost weekly:

Lightly oil 1lb salmon with olive oil
Salt, pepper and Hungarian paprika to your liking
Heat up cast iron with some more olive oil on medium heat
Sear 3 min skin side down
Flip and sear the seasoned side 2 min
Appreciate 2
DocL1954.00
      10-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #20
TTM0TION
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP

Salmon on Grill:

Grill to 350-400
Get cedar planks and soak for an hour in water.
Sprinkle some Cavendars greek seasoning on meat side.
Salmon on plank skin side down
I pull off once cooked but some flip meat side to the grill to put some marks on and a slight char. Your choice.
      10-10-2022, 09:48 AM   #21
McTricky
Wannabe
Rep
Drives: Volvo S80, RAM, Elantra Sport

Cod loin pieces patted dry, dip in seasoned egg wash, roll in Panko, arrange in baking dish, drizzle generously with melted butter. Bake on 400° for 15-20 minutes until flaky. squeeze on lemon if desired and serve. Dead simple.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #22
McTricky
Wannabe
Rep
Drives: Volvo S80, RAM, Elantra Sport

Skinless salmon fillets, coat with Olive Oil, season to taste with Chef Paul Prudhomme's Redfish Magic, bake on 350° for 12-15 minutes. Squeeze on lemon.

*Variation* substitute Redfish Magic with Lemon Pepper and dill weed.
Appreciate 1