BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #67
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
Are you at elevation by chance? I live at 7k feet above sea level and get better mileage in general c/w sea level. That changes dramatically of course when I'm climbing from sea level to get back up here.
I live in Vancouver, BC, so I'm pretty much at sea level!

I might just have a heavy foot
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      11-27-2021, 12:45 PM   #68
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
I was asking mostly out of curiosity for the differences you're getting between highway and around town.
That isn't too bad actually for 95% around town driving.
It is fine as far as I am concerned and gas mileage is not on my list of important features for any vehicle.
The aggressive driving monkeys who go gas, brake, gas, brake, tailgate everyone who gets in their way, slice and dice like morons playing "who gets to the next red light first" are not going to get anywhere near 17+ MPG on an M50i.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #69
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
PSA. If your normal daily routine is 1 mile each way, you will need to take the vehicle out for >15 minutes at least 1/week (?) to charge the 12V and 24V batteries. You may want to look up the details but my understanding is that in order to achieve their fuel efficiency goals BMW doesn't start charging the batteries (run the alternator?) until the car has been driven >15 minutes.

This will also allow the exhaust to fully heat up and evaporate any condensate.

If you're taking long trips and not powering around the 40i may be a better choice. Sure you need to pay to play but if you're filling up a couple of time for a trip it does get old.

BTW, I'm not easy on the gas by any means and don't drive in comfort and still seeing 27 MPG for now. Not a requirement but certainly a pleasant surprise.

BMW seems to be the polar opposite of Ford w/r to claimed EPA mileage numbers and real world gas mileage. Most 40i owners seem to report better than the reported 25mpg on highway drives, which is great, and probably suits my case needs better.
That M50i is just SOOOOO tempting, but not without being able to get a decent discount.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 05:13 PM   #70
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I bought the 45e because many of my trips are 3-miles or less. This is terrible for an ICE, and being in town, the speeds are low and there are a bunch of stoplights between me and anywhere I need to go. While it weighs more than the 40i, the power/weight ratio is essentially identical and the 45e is slightly faster in the real world while getting better mileage, but that isn't a big issue to many. While you may lose the federal tax credit next year, if you could find one today, it might be something to look at.

On my last BMW (an ICE), if I didn't put the battery maintainer on it, the frequent short trips would kill the battery in about a year. AFter the dealer replaced it after the first year, I learned, and the next one lasted like 7-years...a long time for a 12-vdc battery after using the battery maintainer (I used a Bosch, smart one set to AGM mode).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 05:21 PM   #71
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
You got rid of the M4C Indv?

That would be a very hard trade...a vert to SAV. Especially in CA.
Yup. Fucking loved that IM interior ... and, yes, ridiculous amount of Ms

But if I'm honest, I actually liked the 2015's Ind exterior color better (Moonstone compared to Silverstone below) and it was a much better driver's car because it was before they wussified the software (and I asked they not update the software on services & had the 1200 mile service done in the EU so it was pretty easy). It's the only car I've ever spun in my adult life and only one I've ever been afraid of every time I walked up to it.

Moonstone is a ridiculous color that can't be photoed - I'd routinely come out of, say, the grocery store and catch people just standing staring at it; I'd have people yell "awesome color" at me on the freeway; one guy at a gas station wanted a picture next to it and occasionally chicks would chat me up which, trust me, isn't a usual occurrence. The Tanz 2018 Comp got notta.

The 2015 were downright scary though

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Exact trade I just made. Sold my modified 1995 3000GT Spyder and the M50i is my fun car and DD until I retire in about 3 years.
Yup, exactly what we're doing - right after the 1200 mile break-in service, hittin the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm50i View Post
I live in Vancouver, BC, so I'm pretty much at sea level!
On our way up there - making a few pit stops along the way for a few months then we'll see if we burn our 6 month visa in Vancouver. Damn hard to drive across the border though with the testing ...

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-27-2021 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 05:51 PM   #72
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic View Post

I am simply amazed ... guys who buy an $80k BMW SUV and ... all the penny pinching strategies they employ.
Nobody who's built their way up to an $80k vehicle is amazed: the only guaranteed way to build wealth *is* penny pinching strategies.

Show me a slow & steady self-made millionaire and I'll show you someone who deeply understands savings is deferred spending.
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      11-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #73
kolosy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Exact trade I just made. Sold my modified 1995 3000GT Spyder and the M50i is my fun car and DD until I retire in about 3 years.
Oh man -- I had a '94 VR4 back in the day (coupe), I loved that thing. Beat it to shit, too unfortunately since it was my second car ever and first stick.

Short of being able to drive one, I think I'm leaning M50 since I have an E93 M3 as a toy car, and want something fast but don't need a full M-car suv.

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:07 PM   #74
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Agree completely. I have a 40i, but drive in sport plus quite often, and I don't really care if it uses more gas or not, it's truly irrelevant. If gas mileage is priority, there are plenty of other options out there besides 5000 lb performance oriented SUV's.
I'm guessing you must have coded your car if you have a 40i AND "Sports Plus" driving mode.

I have a 2020 X7 40i and I have no "Sports Plus" driving mode. Only "Sport" or "Sport Individual".
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:10 PM   #75
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Agree completely. I have a 40i, but drive in sport plus quite often, and I don't really care if it uses more gas or not, it's truly irrelevant. If gas mileage is priority, there are plenty of other options out there besides 5000 lb performance oriented SUV's.
I'm guessing you must have coded your car if you have a 40i AND "Sports Plus" driving mode.

I have a 2020 X7 40i and I have no "Sports Plus" driving mode. Only "Sport" or "Sport Individual".
I noticed that in my wife's X7 as well. X5 has 3 settings, sport, sport plus, and sport individual, while X7 doesn't have the sport plus setting. Not sure why BMW engineers took sport plus setting out of X7's.