11-15-2021, 04:22 AM   #1
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

Exhaust Advice

Hello guys,

UK spec X6MC here...

Love the car, but I really need to get a *bit* more noise out of it.. Don't want it to be super loud, but enough to know it's a V8 under the hood.

I've seen so many conflicting pieces of advice on this model due to varying specs depending on where the car is from.

I took it to my local shop and they have suggested removing the secondary cats (labelled A on pic). There doesn't seem to be any sensors on these, and they said it should increase the volume.

They also said they could remove the larger box in front of the cats (B on pics) and replace with an X pipe.

I'm a bit lost and could do with some guidance on which would be better and if either will cause errors?

Thanks!
David
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 07:47 AM   #2
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Why not buy an after market exhaust? By the way, the resonator is labeled B. And A I believe are the OPFs of this is a non-US model.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Well, if I'm honest I don't really like the way any of them look. I just wanted to keep the standard look but increased volume.
Thanks for your feedback!

So can the resonator be deleted and replaced with an X pipe?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjpaypal View Post
Well, if I'm honest I don't really like the way any of them look. I just wanted to keep the standard look but increased volume.

Removing the resonator may introduce drone.
Appreciate 1
HZX540e373.50
      11-15-2021, 08:45 AM   #5
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Quote:

I have cut both parts A and B. It's a way louder now. Instead of X pipe I went for l l. There are no sensors but the airflow will increase and the ECU may show an engine light. I've experienced that. When I went to tune my m8 I was told my Vehicle was partially in a limp mode. They done some coding to sort this out
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #6
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justao View Post
I have cut both parts A and B. It's a way louder now. Instead of X pipe I went for l l. There are no sensors but the airflow will increase and the ECU may show an engine light. I've experienced that. When I went to tune my m8 I was told my Vehicle was partially in a limp mode. They done some coding to sort this out
This is great info, thank you.

I don't suppose you have any sound clips of your car now?

Also, where did you take it for the coding? I'd rather take it somewhere that has done this before than people learning on the job!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #7
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

After doing some research it seems a few people have gone for secondary cat and resonator deletion on the 50i.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...+delete&page=7

Would it sound the same on the M?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by dwjpaypal; 11-15-2021 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Added link
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 07:56 PM   #8
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Hello guys,

UK spec X6MC here...

Love the car, but I really need to get a *bit* more noise out of it.. Don't want it to be super loud, but enough to know it's a V8 under the hood.

I've seen so many conflicting pieces of advice on this model due to varying specs depending on where the car is from.

I took it to my local shop and they have suggested removing the secondary cats (labelled A on pic). There doesn't seem to be any sensors on these, and they said it should increase the volume.

They also said they could remove the larger box in front of the cats (B on pics) and replace with an X pipe.

I'm a bit lost and could do with some guidance on which would be better and if either will cause errors?

Thanks!
David
Wow, I knew you guys have those OPF's in the exhaust system, but you also have another catalyst on each side of the transmission fluid pan? That's 4 more restrictive devices that we don't have. Yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:15 AM   #9
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

I have explained in my topic, your car has OPF like mine - so the A in picture yellow circle is OPF, the B ( red ) is Resonator and you have second cats in front of A which is not in picture here.

I would say you better go with aftermarket exhaust and save this stock one when you go to dealership or something in future.

You will need resonator if you remove it you will have exhaust drone which is not good for an expensive car like F95/F96.

So when you go for aftermarket exhaust you will not have OPF but you will have resonator and exhaust valves like in stock to change sound based in sport profile in M1/M2 buttons and I advise you to remove also second cats.

So removing OPF or second cats any of them you will still need some device which cheats the car ecu and its called OPF Deleter ( so far are two options for it one which connects in electronic part under passenger foot side which I have it - its a bit harder to be installed but its better I think and another one is like OEM replace sensor which monitors second cats/opf )

Write me your number in PM so I can contact you over WhatsAPP and show you some videos of mine before/after.
Appreciate 0