X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
How do you feel about Keyless entry??
This will be my first keyless entry car, and I'm the type of person who generally locks my car and listens to it lock so I know its done!
Either that or I give the door handle a pull to ensure its locked! lol

With keyless entry - how far do you get from the car before it locks/unlocks??
Is it literally a few feet or is it more?

Also, from a security perspective, do you generally switch off keyless entry or leave it enabled and stick the keys in a faraday pouch/box while at home, or at the other end of the house?!
The key switches it self off after it doesn't move for some time. This should be safe and you don't need a faraday cage.

I don't like the locking on leaving function I switched it of. Just push on the door handle. I have unlock an approach on. Sometimes even that bothers me. When I lock the car and I happen to walk by it reopens. Just locking and unlocking by touching the door handle is the most comfortable I think. Also the most fool proof.
Appreciate 2
Addbuyer826.50
      07-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #24
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
The key switches it self off after it doesn't move for Smeets time. This should be safe and you don't need a faraday cage.

I don't like the locking on leaving function I switched it of. Just push on to of the door handle. I have unlock an approach on. Sometimes even that bothers me.
Ive considered that same split locking set up. It’s all very configurable, can’t fault that
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      07-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #25
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Great, sounds good! I assume you set the beeps via the settings in-car?

Collecting Sat morning.
Yep bleeps are set via the Idrive, it’s strange you get 2 bleeps upon opening and one bleep upon locking. Should be the other way around me thinks.

Not long to wait now then, defo pics please
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #26
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
Quote:
Great, sounds good! I assume you set the beeps via the settings in-car?

Collecting Sat morning.
Yep bleeps are set via the Idrive, it's strange you get 2 bleeps upon opening and one bleep upon locking. Should be the other way around me thinks.

Not long to wait now then, defo pics please
I didn't really like the beeps. Not a greatly designed sound. It's a kind of boring electrical beep. I was expecting something more like a tut-tut designer sound 😂

So I turned that of to and just listen to the sound of the mirrors closing and if I'm not shire I locked a go back and look at the mirrors (or connected drive app if to far away)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:34 AM   #27
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
The key switches it self off after it doesn't move for some time. This should be safe and you don't need a faraday cage.
So it definitely has the motion sensor? There was confusion over this from the previous threads I had searched through. Good to know that its there!

Quote:
Just locking and unlocking by touching the door handle is the most comfortable I think. Also the most fool proof.
This will probably work best for me TBH. All set through the iDrive system?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:22 AM   #28
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Just locking and unlocking by touching the door handle is the most comfortable I think. Also the most fool proof.
This will probably work best for me TBH. All set through the iDrive system?[/QUOTE]

Yes. All set through idrive. I have it lock when I walk away and the mirrors set to fold in, so I can look back and see it is locked if I do not hear it happen. It is very simple to set up.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2020, 10:24 PM   #29
rayray718
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F15 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
Quote:
This will probably work best for me TBH. All set through the iDrive system?

Yes. All set through idrive. I have it lock when I walk away and the mirrors set to fold in, so I can look back and see it is locked if I do not hear it happen. It is very simple to set up.[/QUOTE]
I have the same setup - car locks automatically when I walk away. And yes BMW connected app tracks the location of your car but I know from experience UK car theft rings are the savviest (doesn't really happen here in the US as far as I know) and they've probably figured a way around OEM technology. I had my e70 nicked from North London one month after I bought it. By dumb luck I left my iPhone in it (fell under the drivers seat) and was able to track it to Essex. I then put installed a pin code immobilizer and nothing happened since. I would hope there is better tech out there now.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:40 AM   #30
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayray718 View Post
Yes. All set through idrive. I have it lock when I walk away and the mirrors set to fold in, so I can look back and see it is locked if I do not hear it happen. It is very simple to set up.
I have the same setup - car locks automatically when I walk away. And yes BMW connected app tracks the location of your car but I know from experience UK car theft rings are the savviest (doesn't really happen here in the US as far as I know) and they've probably figured a way around OEM technology. I had my e70 nicked from North London one month after I bought it. By dumb luck I left my iPhone in it (fell under the drivers seat) and was able to track it to Essex. I then put installed a pin code immobilizer and nothing happened since. I would hope there is better tech out there now.[/QUOTE]

Which PIN code immobiliser did you use?
I'm having the Autowatch Ghost installed this weekend - didn't bother with a tracker, spent the money on GAP (return to invoice) insurance instead!
Appreciate 1
MALOW_33.00
      07-16-2020, 04:46 AM   #31
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone using a steering wheel lock that doesn't end up causing marks or dips in the leather due to the weight etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #32
rayray718
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F15 MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayray718 View Post
I have the same setup - car locks automatically when I walk away. And yes BMW connected app tracks the location of your car but I know from experience UK car theft rings are the savviest (doesn't really happen here in the US as far as I know) and they've probably figured a way around OEM technology. I had my e70 nicked from North London one month after I bought it. By dumb luck I left my iPhone in it (fell under the drivers seat) and was able to track it to Essex. I then put installed a pin code immobilizer and nothing happened since. I would hope there is better tech out there now.
Which PIN code immobiliser did you use?
I'm having the Autowatch Ghost installed this weekend - didn't bother with a tracker, spent the money on GAP (return to invoice) insurance instead![/QUOTE]
Yes I believe I had Autowatch but an older version with a physical fob.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #33
ErnestWW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hi, Milky! To be honest, I didn't hear about Starline security system, but my brother recently set up a system for his country house. I was trying to help him choose an alarm system for his house, so I wish I hadn't done it, it was a bad idea. In general, he read the reviews and chose Ajax said that this is an excellent system that will ensure the security of our apartment. This system has many advantages. Provides up to 16 hours of battery life if the power supply goes out. Switches frequencies to resist jamming and noise on the air. In general, I highly recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #34
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Anyone using a steering wheel lock that doesn't end up causing marks or dips in the leather due to the weight etc?
Hi guys,

So I live in probably the highest rate of car theft area in the UK (East Essex). Its not that its not a nice area, quite the oppoosite, it's that there are a lot of nice cars in the area to steal!

I had a G05 for 2 years and didn't feel paranoid, but I've recently upgraded to a X6MC and all of a sudden I'm really really paranoid. I think it's because there are so few around and it attracts a lot of attention.

So, I've had fitted a Ghost immobiliser, a Cat 5 VTS tracker, and I use a full DiskLock every night. I use the medium size, and use the additional DiskLock steering wheel cover that you can buy, it's like a stretchy lycra you put over the wheel before the lock. I have zero marks on my wheel with this.

The States may be different, but in the UK no insurance company will accept Connected Drive as a tracker. It's simply not fast or accurate enough. My VTS tracker comes with a fob that is kept seperate to my car keys. If the car moves (with the key or being towed) without that fob I get a call within 20 seconds. If I confirm it's not me the Police are informed and told its an active theft, which I've been told by my next door neighbour (who's a Senior officer) is the most exciting type of call and they'll be on it immediately as there's a good chance of a capture.

Obviously on top of all this I also have GAP.

For me it's all about considering the inconvenience of these features VS it getting stolen and paying out for excess, finding another car, etc. If they take a look at my car with a retail of £120k but visual detterant of DiskLock and the probability it's got other security, vs grabbing a Range Rover down the road worth £80k but no additional security I would have thought they will go easier route, unless it's being stolen to order.

Ghost is great, but by the time they find out you've got it they're sat in your pride and joy trying to drive it off. The disklock deters the opportunist who's great on a gadget but doesn't walk around with an angle grinder...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #35
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

After reading about it on a post here, I decided to buy a set of RimGards for my wheels. The generic wheel locking bolts are kind of a joke...they might slow someone down, but won't stop them. It is really hard to remove the RimGard to then remove a wheel and time is a big deterrent. I was surprised at how fast they arrived in the states...ordered them on a weekend, and they arrived on the following Wednesday from Sweden.

I'm sure there are some places in the US where it's messy. I lived in ElPaso, TX for a while, and one Sargent in the Army that I knew, had both of his vehicles stolen, on consecutive days...he got the second one back as it ran out of gas on the bridge to Mexico across the Rio Grande River...

I've heard that wheels and whole vehicle thefts can be more of an issue in England. My brother-in-law living up north has not mentioned it as being a problem, but he's further from the coast, that may be part of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 07:37 PM   #36
Kas63
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Some images of the RimGuards fitted would be good.
      11-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #37
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
This is why I have insurance. So I don’t have to worry about things like this.

If it’s stolen it can be replaced.

Heck get new car replacement coverage and you can get a new vehicle for the cost of a deductible. That’s winning.
Appreciate 1
GREENPUS131.50
      11-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #38
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post

Heck get new car replacement coverage and you can get a new vehicle for the cost of a deductible. That’s winning.
Yes, I have insurance, but that doesn't really help much in the moment when you come back and say your vehicle is sitting up on blocks with the wheels gone, or it's gone altogether. In today's market, I just cannot replace my X5 with an identical version as so many of the options/standard features are plain just not available, and I'd be in a rental vehicle for maybe months while it was ordered in the first place.

So, something to make the vehicle less convenient for a thief to work on and maybe go to some other target has advantages. Nothing will prevent a really dedicated thief, but you don't have to make it easy for them, and the longer it takes them, the more opportunity there is for someone to notice.

Yes, some have a second vehicle they could use, but say it happens across the country while you're on vacation...messes up that, and then, your insurance may not pay for a rental to get you home...what's your time worth?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #39
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
What your time is worth is a great point.

How much time are you willing to put into this project to prevent some inconvenience in what can only be described as a very low probability event.

Better investment. A garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:04 AM   #40
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What your time is worth is a great point.

How much time are you willing to put into this project to prevent some inconvenience in what can only be described as a very low probability event.

Better investment. A garage.
And how would a garage help if you're parked at a restaurant, or similar, or on vacation somewhere? Not every place has a valet or secure parking.

The tracker systems talked about don't take any time to deal with once installed by a pro, a one-time thing probably no worse than what some deal with doing a ceramic coating. The RimGards I mentioned took me less than 10-minutes to install, and the next time, would go quicker.

Insurance is a useful tool...never needing it is better!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #41
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Quote:

Yup. 100%
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 04:17 PM   #42
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENPUS View Post
Yup. 100%
Regardless of how good my insurance may be, I CANNOT replicate my vehicle today with the parts shortages, and the inconvenience of being without for probably months with whatever I could replace it with would be an issue. Most insurance plans limit how long they'll pay for a rental, too.

For the OP, ordering a new X5 in the UK is likely to take at least 6-months, and maybe longer to get a replacement, which is also an issue. Most insurance companies tend to raise your rates if you have a claim like that, if they'll continue to give you a policy at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #43
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Ever thought of using an AirTag or similar device? I placed one in my car. However, I tested it and it only works if it’s near other iPhones (in Bluetooth range) but it still worked fairly decently for being so cheap and passive.

I also have an updated steering/gas pedal lock. I know people laugh at me when I break it out and install it while in a garage or elsewhere, and it likely will do little to deter the professional, but why make it easier?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #44
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I realize everyone's situation is different but I can't imagine installing all this hokey crap on my vehicle for some perceived sense of security. It's about risk management and there are many steps I would take before that.
Appreciate 0