BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #89
travisgsf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by THinthedesert View Post
To those of you that have gone to ceramic, can you please post an update on how you feel they're working out.

1. After this amount of time, do they feel as good as the OEM pads felt as far as stopping power, etc?

2. Do they just put out less dust, or is the dust just lighter in color and not as visible as the black dust that comes from using the OEM pads?

3. I had one indy shop tell me they use ATE pads and I'm presume they could crossover the pads to ATE (for the 750i w/M Sport brakes) like the OP did with the Powerstop. I realize that company has been around disc brakes for a very long time, at least back into the 1960's, it that means anything. They also said they'd install anything I find that I want them to install. Does anyone here have experience with ATE pads.

1. I don't think they are as good or feel as good as the OEM pads. Those bit much harder which I liked. You get used to these but at first its a mushy feel.

2. it's lighter in color and not dustless but almost dustless. They probalby only put out 5%-10% of the OEM dust but it's also a little lighter. It's amazing the difference and worth every bit of it.

3. No idea on the ATE pads. Overall I'm pleased with the powerstop
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:43 PM   #90
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THinthedesert View Post
To those of you that have gone to ceramic, can you please post an update on how you feel they're working out.

1. After this amount of time, do they feel as good as the OEM pads felt as far as stopping power, etc?

2. Do they just put out less dust, or is the dust just lighter in color and not as visible as the black dust that comes from using the OEM pads?

3. I had one indy shop tell me they use ATE pads and I'm presume they could crossover the pads to ATE (for the 750i w/M Sport brakes) like the OP did with the Powerstop. I realize that company has been around disc brakes for a very long time, at least back into the 1960's, it that means anything. They also said they'd install anything I find that I want them to install. Does anyone here have experience with ATE pads.
Still loving our Powerstop pads. They put out less dust than OEM, has nothing to do with the color of the dust. They also keep your rotors and calipers nice and clean.
      03-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #91
Milangel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Just asked around my local auto shops and the minimum charge is $370 for installing PS pads I brought in only. Does this sound reasonable?

Looked at some DIY videos, it just involves jacking up the vehicle plus some wrenching job. Should not take more than an hour...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #92
SPD NXS
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 50i M Blue/Cognac

PowerStop Z16 Ceramic Pad Success

I just completed the swap and honestly I spent more time cleaning my calipers and putting a coat of wax on them than the actual pad change out.

I used the PowerStop pad numbers at the first of the thread. The ones listed on the PowerStop site where wrong, but maybe that has changed. Order the pads at the first of the thread and you'll be good to go. I got mine from Summit Racing.

Use the TIS directions link that I believe is on the second page of this thread and you can't go wrong.

REMEMBER TO ACTIVATE THE PARKING BRAKE BEFORE YOU TOUCH THE BRAKE PEDAL! I did the front passenger side first, then the front driver's side; then activated the park brake and you can hear it compress the pads and index the system.

I also did the front first, hit the park brake; and then did the rear and hit the park brake, because I did my front one afternoon, and then did the rears the next morning.

The only small issue I had was getting the factory pads unstuck from the caliper because they have a sticky adhesive on the back which is pointed out in the TIS directions, but you just need to get a screwdriver in there and gently work it around and they eventually popped out. You can hear the adhesive letting go as you work them. Don't scratch the caliper or pry hard against the painted surface!

I had the most success by using a flat blade screwdriver between the pad wear surface and simply wedging the pistons all the way back in first. Then the pins and X spring came out much easier. It doesn't take much effort at all.

This method doesn't require a c-clamp or anything because you can get them all the way in before driving out the pins.

I also cleaned the heck out of the calipers with brake cleaner and a toothbrush, then simple green and a tooth brush; and then wiped it all down and put a coat of wax on them. I also cleaned the back side of my wheels really good and put a coat of wax on them also.

I used Disc Brake Quiet on the back of my pads, which I do on every brake job I do, which is very similar to the adhesive on the back of the OEM pads. I'm not sure you need it but I have never had a problem with disc brake noise ever, so it is standard for me.

I held the brake pedal down firmly for at least a minute to seat the Disc Brake Quiet like in the TIS directions for the OEM adhesive on the front, and then later after I did the back.

If you do use it, then look at the adhesive pattern on the back of the OEM pads and duplicate it because if you put it all over the back of the new pads you will see it at the front of the pad and through one of drain holes at the rear of the pad because it is red.

I also used caliper grease that you can get from any parts store like in the TIS directions, and also put a little bit on the horizontal X spring pads that touch the brake pads. I thoroughly cleaned the pins and the X spring before I reinstalled them. Soap, water and a toothbrush.

I did not change my wear sensors. There is only one on each axle. The front is on the driver's side pad.

I also used a little anti-seize on the lug bolts and the torque spec is 140 NM, which is 103 Ft./lbs.

I bedded the pads in per the PowerStop directions on their site and they are absolutely quiet and the pedal feel is identical to the OEM pads.
Appreciate 7
atl_1M1520.00
skalberti613.00
TW51619.00
thezarb14.00
      04-19-2020, 02:35 AM   #93
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I just ordered the same pads.... and my car is only 5 days old. Hopefully the new pads will slide in effortlessly.

There have been a lot of "I'm going to do this" posts...... and not a lot of "I did this" posts.

Can anyone please confirm that activating the parking brake before touching the brake pedal will eliminate the need to clear error codes?
Did you ever install these? Feedback?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #94
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Hi all,

I am considering changing to the Powerstop pads. I can't stand the brake dust of the stock M Sport brakes. Can anyone confirm the part numbers for a 2020 M50i? The Powerstop website only has the 2019 X5's listed not 2020. Want to be sure they are the same.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 05:42 PM   #95
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogujuhere View Post
Just ordered the 16-1868 for the front and 16-1469 for the rear.
The shop I use also recommended changing the brake wear sensors as well, I dont know if thats an issue.
Hello,

Did you install your Powerstop pads? Looking to order the same set for my M50i. Want to be sure they fit.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:54 PM   #96
russ87
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 5.0

Thanks for sharing! I was cleaning mine today as well lol
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #97
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Can anyone confirm the Powerstop pads for the 2019 G05 with M sport brakes are the same as the 2020 M50i? Mfg website does not have any 2020 G05 info. I called CS they were no help whatsover.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #98
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD NXS View Post
I just completed the swap and honestly I spent more time cleaning my calipers and putting a coat of wax on them than the actual pad change out.

I used the PowerStop pad numbers at the first of the thread. The ones listed on the PowerStop site where wrong, but maybe that has changed. Order the pads at the first of the thread and you'll be good to go. I got mine from Summit Racing.

Use the TIS directions link that I believe is on the second page of this thread and you can't go wrong.

REMEMBER TO ACTIVATE THE PARKING BRAKE BEFORE YOU TOUCH THE BRAKE PEDAL! I did the front passenger side first, then the front driver's side; then activated the park brake and you can hear it compress the pads and index the system.

I also did the front first, hit the park brake; and then did the rear and hit the park brake, because I did my front one afternoon, and then did the rears the next morning.

The only small issue I had was getting the factory pads unstuck from the caliper because they have a sticky adhesive on the back which is pointed out in the TIS directions, but you just need to get a screwdriver in there and gently work it around and they eventually popped out. You can hear the adhesive letting go as you work them. Don't scratch the caliper or pry hard against the painted surface!

I had the most success by using a flat blade screwdriver between the pad wear surface and simply wedging the pistons all the way back in first. Then the pins and X spring came out much easier. It doesn't take much effort at all.

This method doesn't require a c-clamp or anything because you can get them all the way in before driving out the pins.

I also cleaned the heck out of the calipers with brake cleaner and a toothbrush, then simple green and a tooth brush; and then wiped it all down and put a coat of wax on them. I also cleaned the back side of my wheels really good and put a coat of wax on them also.

I used Disc Brake Quiet on the back of my pads, which I do on every brake job I do, which is very similar to the adhesive on the back of the OEM pads. I'm not sure you need it but I have never had a problem with disc brake noise ever, so it is standard for me.

I held the brake pedal down firmly for at least a minute to seat the Disc Brake Quiet like in the TIS directions for the OEM adhesive on the front, and then later after I did the back.

If you do use it, then look at the adhesive pattern on the back of the OEM pads and duplicate it because if you put it all over the back of the new pads you will see it at the front of the pad and through one of drain holes at the rear of the pad because it is red.

I also used caliper grease that you can get from any parts store like in the TIS directions, and also put a little bit on the horizontal X spring pads that touch the brake pads. I thoroughly cleaned the pins and the X spring before I reinstalled them. Soap, water and a toothbrush.

I did not change my wear sensors. There is only one on each axle. The front is on the driver's side pad.

I also used a little anti-seize on the lug bolts and the torque spec is 140 NM, which is 103 Ft./lbs.

I bedded the pads in per the PowerStop directions on their site and they are absolutely quiet and the pedal feel is identical to the OEM pads.
Quote:

Thanks for verifying that hitting the emergency brake before touching the brake pedal won't throw any errors. I wish I had known this and it would've saved me a trip to the dealership. Since I was the first to do the brake swap, I took one for the team
      04-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #99
MaCaY
X5 M50i
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Nice write up. One question do you have the click noise in front like few of ppl that installed the new pads???
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #100
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Anybody on the Powerstop brake pad part numbers for a M50i?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #101
Yogujuhere
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, M850i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Anybody on the Powerstop brake pad part numbers for a M50i?

16-1868 for the front and 16-1469 for the rear as originally stated at the beginning of the thread.

My Clicking does persist and its a strange feeling to have on a $100k car. This click occurs only switching from reverse to drive and then pressing the brake, waiting for the pad to settle to the new direction.

Brake pedal feel has changed, it does require longer and harder pedal press to get the identical brake force.
I do believe OEM has a much better initial bite and its a noticeable difference.
It does take longer for the ceramic pads to heat up.
Brake dust is reduced for me around 60%, but make no mistake the dust still is still present on a smaller scale.
All in all, whether this is right for you is entirely a personal choice.
Personally I hope akebono comes out with a pad and I'll try those out.
I do miss the OEM pad bite though.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by Yogujuhere; 05-15-2020 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #102
rtadams1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Can someone point me in the direction of the correct brake pad part numbers for a 2020 M-Sport? One that won’t click, is high quality, and eliminates dust?

I have a local shop that will do the work but I want to make sure I have the right info first.
Thanks a lot
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #103
TahoeBMW
TahoeBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05

Amazing!!! I swap out the pads a couple of months ago, took a trip that was over 600 miles roundtrip, my car look better then driving 30 minutes around town, amazing would you recommend it to anybody!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 07:47 AM   #104
QF8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M Competition 2021

Are the M-sport brakes talked about here the same as those used on the F95 X5M & the F96 X6M. ??
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #105
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by QF8 View Post
Are the M-sport brakes talked about here the same as those used on the F95 X5M & the F96 X6M. ??
No the F95/96 ///M are 6 pot versus 4 (front) on the G05 2NH M Sport brake upgrade.

F95/96
- Six-piston fixed front calipers and single-piston floating rear calipers at the rear
- Drilled and vented 395mm front brake discs and 380mm rear brake discs

G05 2NH M Sport Brake option
- 4-piston fixed front calipers and single-piston rear
- Vented 395x36mm front brake discs and 370x24mm rear brake discs

G05 Standard Brakes
MY19-20 50i
- Vented 374x36mm front brake discs and 345x24mm rear brake disc

3rd Row
- Vented 348x36mm front brake discs and 345x24mm rear brake disc

Base
- 4-piston floating front calipers and single-piston rear
- Vented 348x30mm front brake discs and 345x24mm rear brake discs

More details see enclosed
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
GrussGott18113.00
QF8221.00
      09-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #106
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
I did a similar swap when I owned a mini cooper and there was a very noticeable difference in initial bite and overall braking power. I'd rather deal with dust.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 2
Noneya251.50
swainbmw510.00
      09-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #107
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeBMW View Post
Amazing!!! I swap out the pads a couple of months ago, took a trip that was over 600 miles roundtrip, my car look better then driving 30 minutes around town, amazing would you recommend it to anybody!!!!
Can you share which part numbers you used please?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #108
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Still confusing with Powerstop. Their website has finally been updated to include the 2020 M50i, but only has options for rear brakes! I really question the accuracy of their info. When I called several months ago, the Rep was totally clueless & useless.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 12:22 AM   #109
QF8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M Competition 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
No the F95/96 ///M are 6 pot versus 4 (front) on the G05 2NH M Sport brake upgrade.

F95/96
Six-piston fixed front calipers and single-piston floating rear calipers at the rear

Drilled and vented 395 mm front brake discs and 380 mm rear brake discs

G05
See enclosed

That's a comprehensive reply.
Cheers Auricom
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #110
val2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 i40

Power stop cheap Chinese brakes I had them for half a year when you step on the brakes you feel like you have air in the system so I put the originals back I don't care anymore about the dust I care about stopping power
Don't waste your time and money on power stop pads
Appreciate 2
JALS26.50
swainbmw510.00