BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-04-2024, 11:11 AM   #1
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Damaged window switch and window switch trim repair

I had scratched up plastic window switch bezel surrounding my driver's side window switches and found zero info on what to do. This will also help replace the window switch itself if you need to do that.

The window trim part for the drivers side is BMW-51417956457 This is for cognac. Its about a $40 part.

If you need another color, It is part 15 in this diagram-
https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...rim-front-door

Note there are two types- one for window shades and one without. Mine is without. Don't worry that the diagram is for the passenger door. Just order the left side and you'll get the correct part.

To install you'll first need to remove the door panel

This is pretty good. However when you go to reinstall watch the white plastic snaps. One of mine popped in and I had to pop it to the out position before reassembling.

So now that you have the panel off-
1) Remove the harness from the door, it has a lever style clip
2) you can also remove the door pull cable thats blue in the video. It just clips off easily. That way you can move the whole panel to an easy to work on area.
3) Remove the main switch harness. This has a grey lever style clip that rotates to unlatch.
4) remove the hatch harness this just pulls out
5) Remove the lower white pin. This pulls straight out.
6) Remove the upper white pin by the hatch switch. This rotates and then pulls outs.
7) The whole switch and bezel assemble can now be removed. Start with the bottom. You will probably want a wide plastic pry tool to get started. It has hook near the hatch switch and will rotate from there.
8) The bezel can be removed with a pick tool, small screwdriver, etc.
9) the new bezel just snaps on to the switches.
10) snap the assembled switch set back in place, pin, and hook up the harnesses
11) Test the windows, etc before reassembling the panel as before.

Not too big of a job, but due to the plastic pins internal to the door you must remove the door cards.

Last edited by Theruleslawyer; 07-05-2024 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1160.50