11-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #23
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Well, if nothing else, you can see how complicated it can get trying to do something easy. If you are willing to replace the soundbar, the next thing is to state your budget and your expectations.
And the other thing to consider is how long you plan to stay in your rental. The best advice at this stage may very well be "do nothing."
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #24
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

BEM-S4 I was agreeing with you that Harmony is generally the best option, just commenting how much that frustrates me as I hate their products for my own use and really wish their were alternative options. Really used to like URC products but the value proposition isn't there and as much as I would like to use RTI's Pro Control stuff, I can't get licensed for their software (which URC had no problem with) so I'm left with Harmony for our main home theatre setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #25
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
BEM-S4 I was agreeing with you that Harmony is generally the best option, just commenting how much that frustrates me as I hate their products for my own use and really wish their were alternative options. Really used to like URC products but the value proposition isn't there and as much as I would like to use RTI's Pro Control stuff, I can't get licensed for their software (which URC had no problem with) so I'm left with Harmony for our main home theatre setup.
Yeah, I agree. The problem is there just aren't any good options out there. I literally have a theater at dad's house with over a grand in Control4 shit installed that needed a software update and turned into a nightmare. So it's sitting there unused in the rack and we switched to Harmony. Lost some advanced functionality (that was never used anyway) and we can maintain it on our own.

Once you get into things beyond TV / receiver / amp / sources and into other areas like auto dim lights, curtains, all that shit, then Harmony is no longer viable. But not many folks DIY that shit anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #26
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
can anyone recommend home theater system,
I have samsung system with 5 speakers and subwoofer, receiver wont turn on.
I currently have PS4 all the other devices connected to receiver on HDMI outputs.
I can easily replace receiver and problem solve.
I would like to upgrade the home theater system with less speakers.
I do plan upgrading TV to 4k soon.
Appreciate 0