02-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #45
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
The RCMP and OPP usually keep them for about 120Km so 70ish miles. In Toronto they'd get about 120-160Km (70-100K miles) and they were done from wear and tear and accident damage. I was shocked when I learned how many departmental collisions occur.

About 15 years ago when there was a real budget crunch on they tried repairing cars past their best before date to put off the purchasing of new cars. A disaster. I think it was a good lesson in fleet management and economics. The things were in the shop constantly. I remember the Crown Vic transmissions just wouldn't last past a certain point.
We use to keep them for 3 years. Like you said when there was a budget crunch they extended the life to 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:12 AM   #46
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
We use to keep them for 3 years. Like you said when there was a budget crunch they extended the life to 5 years.
I remember some of the crap I had to drive, I actually took the plates of one because it was unsafe to be on the road.....the boss wasn't impressed.

I also recall driving a Diplomat to a high priority call, lights and sirens and I could only get 80K (50 MPH) out of it, at one point I was going up a hill and losing speed and being passed.....damned embarrassing.
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      02-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #47
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I remember some of the crap I had to drive, I actually took the plates of one because it was unsafe to be on the road.....the boss wasn't impressed.

I also recall driving a Diplomat to a high priority call, lights and sirens and I could only get 80K (50 MPH) out of it, at one point I was going up a hill and losing speed and being passed.....damned embarrassing.
We have a few old metro buses and I drive one for different events to block roads or transport people. The one I drive doesn’t like hills from a dead stop. Talk about being embarrassed getting stuck on a hill and having to tell people to get off so I can make it the rest of the way up.

I am working the opening of the new tunnel today.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #48
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Being the honest bloke that I am, I don't get to visit the inside of a Police car very often... But I did have the opportunity a few years ago. It was a Virginia Taurus Police Interceptor. I was surprised how crowded the cockpit was with all the added equipment, especially the with laptop mounted. So I wonder two things: 1) will Tesla let the Police hack the big screen so there is no laptop mounted to the dash; and 2) will Tesla offer a polycarbonate rear seat option...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
ItsGary1456.50
      02-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #49
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Being the honest bloke that I am, I don't get to visit the inside of a Police car very often... But I did have the opportunity a few years ago. It was a Virginia Taurus Police Interceptor. I was surprised how crowded the cockpit was with all the added equipment, especially the with laptop mounted. So I wonder two things: 1) will Tesla let the Police hack the big screen so there is no laptop mounted to the dash; and 2) will Tesla offer a polycarbonate rear seat option...
I am sure they would figure out how to use the big screen. There is a Ford SUV down in California that has a prototype big screen by Coban. It was up here a few months ago doing a demo for us.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1456.50
      02-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #50
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Why???? It’s not like traffic is going 90mph in Fremont.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1456.50