BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #1
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M AND F15 X5 35i

Water temp additives into the intercooler tank?

I saw a few people on youtube putting water temp additives into the intercooler tank and saying it lowers charge temps by ten degrees when tested. DEI actually has something called (chill charge) made for air to liquid intercoolers. has anyone tried this or another additive?
      01-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Water wetter has been around for decades. I used it back in the day with an old hot rod I had that tended to overheat. I don't know if it actually did anything. I recall changing the thermostat and adding electric fans accomplished a lot more. I'm alway leary of additives, they always strike me as being sort of Ginsu knives.....having said that I had some ginsu knives and they were damn sharp.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I think the water wetters are surfactants like in soaps that knock down cavitation - I think they reduce head temperatures and temps in passages.

I'm also a little weary about additives, with composite water pump parts and gaskets in general afraid of a reaction, but I hadn't heard of any issues with water wetters.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Water wetter has been around for decades. I used it back in the day with an old hot rod I had that tended to overheat. I don't know if it actually did anything. I recall changing the thermostat and adding electric fans accomplished a lot more. I'm alway leary of additives, they always strike me as being sort of Ginsu knives.....having said that I had some ginsu knives and they were damn sharp.
i will take this into important consideration. thank you.
      01-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I think the water wetters are surfactants like in soaps that knock down cavitation - I think they reduce head temperatures and temps in passages.

I'm also a little weary about additives, with composite water pump parts and gaskets in general afraid of a reaction, but I hadn't heard of any issues with water wetters.
thank you for the info.