BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #23
shadowfax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Consumer Reports rated Amica and USAA as the two best auto insurers.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:01 AM   #24
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Consumer Reports rated Amica and USAA as the two best auto insurers.
From a body shop perspective USAA is almost the worst company out there. It has not always been the case but lately it has gotten terrible. Amica is a good company.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #25
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Considering how I've tried the big name brands at high premiums and had absolute shit experiences with them, I don't really think this is relevant.

It's very clear that premium cost is NOT correlated with good service in the insurance industry, especially when dealing with auto insurance.
I doubt the "shit experience" with the "big names" unless you are having a lot of accidents. My wife had an accident with StateFarm years ago, we were treated well but past that they really haven't done anything good or bad for us, we pay the bill and they take it.

I would just caution anyone that is buying purely on price (for any good or service) to try to do some research into what they are buying. If someone said I should get Mercury I wouldn't get them based on what I know right now which is nothing.
      06-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #26
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I doubt the "shit experience" with the "big names" unless you are having a lot of accidents. My wife had an accident with StateFarm years ago, we were treated well but past that they really haven't done anything good or bad for us, we pay the bill and they take it.

I would just caution anyone that is buying purely on price (for any good or service) to try to do some research into what they are buying. If someone said I should get Mercury I wouldn't get them based on what I know right now which is nothing.
Why would that be something to doubt? I got rear-ended when I had Progressive, it took them 3 weeks to get an adjuster out and another 2 months to send a check for less than $2k in damage. My car got flooded when I had Geico and it took 8, EIGHT months for them to finally pay it off. I had to buy another car and make payments on both during that time. They also expected me to maintain insurance on the car because I still "owned it" during the time they were settling with my bank. Now I have Allstate and they were absolute rubbish. My agent couldn't be bothered to do anything, I had to set up my own rentals and then ask for reimbursement because they wouldn't reserve them as they're supposed to. And they wouldn't return the shop's calls during the adjustment phase and delayed my car getting fixed. So yeah I've been run around the block with these guys.

My only good experiences with insurance has been with Liberty Mutual and Riders. LM when my home was broken into. Sent them a list of stolen items and had a check the next day, no questions asked. Riders when my motorcycle was hit in a parking lot and nearly totaled. Had a check and fixed bike in less than a week.

Unfortunately Liberty Mutual wants to charge me a crazy amount for auto insurance so I can't justify going with them.
      06-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #27
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Why would that be something to doubt? I got rear-ended when I had Progressive, it took them 3 weeks to get an adjuster out and another 2 months to send a check for less than $2k in damage. My car got flooded when I had Geico and it took 8, EIGHT months for them to finally pay it off. I had to buy another car and make payments on both during that time. They also expected me to maintain insurance on the car because I still "owned it" during the time they were settling with my bank. Now I have Allstate and they were absolute rubbish. My agent couldn't be bothered to do anything, I had to set up my own rentals and then ask for reimbursement because they wouldn't reserve them as they're supposed to. And they wouldn't return the shop's calls during the adjustment phase and delayed my car getting fixed. So yeah I've been run around the block with these guys.

My only good experiences with insurance has been with Liberty Mutual and Riders. LM when my home was broken into. Sent them a list of stolen items and had a check the next day, no questions asked. Riders when my motorcycle was hit in a parking lot and nearly totaled. Had a check and fixed bike in less than a week.

Unfortunately Liberty Mutual wants to charge me a crazy amount for auto insurance so I can't justify going with them.
Makes sense.
      06-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #28
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:

I just had to renew my renters insurance and add someone to the policy. I asked them for a auto quote and they laughed and said they can't come close to what I am paying now.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #29
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I don't think this is a good time to shop around for the best rates. The recent incident you had is going to ding you big time moving to a new carrier. I know it sucks, but you'll probably have to endure being with Allstate until that incident falls outside of the window of interest which I think is 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #30
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

Sounds like your insurance is just fine, your pick of agents is what is shit. Try and do a little more research into the agent you are using as well, it makes a very big difference (sometimes more than the company they work for)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0