06-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Boulder CO - recommend a hike

Hi All,

I am UK based and have a work trip planned to Denver (Broomfield area) at the end of July / early August.

I can make a long weekend before or after the trip and am planning to take a day hike around the Boulder area on either a Saturday or Sunday (or maybe both days). I was thinking between 12 to 20km circular / figure of eight walk .. something that will start and end near Boulder.

I have never been to the area, but really looking forward to my trip.

Looking for your recommendations on a walk to take in some of the fantastic mountain / lake sights, that I am seeing from the photos.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
Hi All,

I am UK based and have a work trip planned to Denver (Broomfield area) at the end of July / early August.

I can make a long weekend before or after the trip and am planning to take a day hike around the Boulder area on either a Saturday or Sunday (or maybe both days). I was thinking between 12 to 20km circular / figure of eight walk .. something that will start and end near Boulder.

Looking for your recommendations on a walk to take in some of the fantastic mountain / lake sights, that I am seeing from the photos.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers.

I've not hiked that area personally, but Alltrails will give you a lot of good information on the area. Trails.com is also very good.

Check out this link: https://www.alltrails.com/us/colorado/boulder

There are so many choices. Read the reviews and look at the photos. You will find the right one.

Whatever you choose, please remember a couple of things. This is higher elevation. It's a bit tougher than hiking at sea level. Also, Colorado can get really warm that time of year. Don't forget to take sunscreen, hat, and lots of water.

Have fun. Post photos when you get back.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks for your time.

Cheers.
Be aware that if you're coming up to Boulder from sea level that about a 5k foot increase in altitude and you will feel it....some folks are more profoundly impacted than others are

Lots and lots of water should be consumed......its also very dry

Only place to go from Boulder is up.....so altitude issues will only increase
Appreciate 3
sygazelle11091.00
Mr Tonka6058.00
      06-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I was there last september and loved it. We did the golden arch hike i think it was called. Was okay for me but some of the others found it challenging. Was worth it. The views were amazing.

We had a shitty kia rental, i suggest renting a better car, the roads were amazing. We drove on the highest road in NA. Cliffs on the side of the road and it felt like you were in the clouds. I could spend a whole day just driving. Ill try to find some pics.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
DYoung
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Garage List
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW 228i  [9.50]
I work in Boulder and hike here often. Great trails in Boulder. Many of them are strenuous hikes due to the quick elevation gain. The trails start near the edge of town and go up fairly steeply. Nearly every trail has spectacular Rocky Mountain views and views of the city.

Several hikes out of Boulder’s Chautauqua Park Trailhead.
- Royal Arch
- Flatirons loop
- Bear Mountain
- Green Mountain

Also from another trailhead; Mount Sanitas trail.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoung View Post
I work in Boulder and hike here often. Great trails in Boulder. Many of them are strenuous hikes due to the quick elevation gain. The trails start near the edge of town and go up fairly steeply. Nearly every trail has spectacular Rocky Mountain views and views of the city.

Several hikes out of Boulder’s Chautauqua Park Trailhead.
- Royal Arch
- Flatirons loop
- Bear Mountain
- Green Mountain

Also from another trailhead; Mount Sanitas trail.
Superb.

Thank you to all who have responded!

Very good point re. the elevation factor and that it is very dry : really good points.

The Royal Arch looks amazing. I found this one:

http://dayhikesneardenver.com/royal-...lder-colorado/

Shorter than I was initially thinking, but clearly a significant elevation, so I will heed the good advice.

I am spoiled for choice, clearly. I think I will have to hike both days. I was thinking of going into Denver, but it seems that the natural environment has so much to offer, it would be a travesty not to enjoy the trails as much as I am able.

Thanks for the fast and informative responses !!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks for your time.

Cheers.
Drive about an hour west and right off I-70 is Gray's Peak.

It's a fourteener so bring lots of water and make sure your body is used to the high elevation before you go.

Go early as well, best to be off the mountain by the afternoon. Storms can hit suddenly and can be deadly, especially since there's no where to take shelter should you get hit by a sudden storm.

If you spend time in Denver, eat at Work and Class.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Few pictures, hiking was great but takes up a lot of time. there are some views that are awesome that doesn't require long hikes. The drive was the best part, lots of look out points to stop and admire.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
fbsm743.00
      06-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Or, come south to Colorado Springs, and hike Pike's Peak (another 14'er) and see the Garden of the Gods while you are here.
      06-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Superb.

Thank you to all who have responded!

Very good point re. the elevation factor and that it is very dry : really good points.

The Royal Arch looks amazing. I found this one:

http://dayhikesneardenver.com/royal-...lder-colorado/

Shorter than I was initially thinking, but clearly a significant elevation, so I will heed the good advice.

I am spoiled for choice, clearly. I think I will have to hike both days. I was thinking of going into Denver, but it seems that the natural environment has so much to offer, it would be a travesty not to enjoy the trails as much as I am able.

Thanks for the fast and informative responses !!

You are smart to ask and accept advice. It sounds like you will research and plan well. As an avid hiker, the thing that kills me the most to see is novice hikers in tennis shoes, no hat and no water too far out on a trail they shouldn't be on with not much sun left.

Have a great trip.
Appreciate 2
fbsm743.00
      06-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

DITTO on the Pike's Peak !
If your coming from that distance . . . . GO TO THE TOP !
AMAZING weather up there !
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #12
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Few pictures, hiking was great but takes up a lot of time. there are some views that are awesome that doesn't require long hikes. The drive was the best part, lots of look out points to stop and admire.
Thank you. Some great shots you have there - the landscape and skyscape are simply awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
You are smart to ask and accept advice. It sounds like you will research and plan well. As an avid hiker, the thing that kills me the most to see is novice hikers in tennis shoes, no hat and no water too far out on a trail they shouldn't be on with not much sun left.

Have a great trip.
Thank you. I am not serious hiker : I just do day trips with good three-season boots, change of T-shirt, hat and drink/provisions.

A chance for some fresh air and good scenery !

Carpe diem.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #13
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Just back from Boulder, some amazing hiking in the area without driving far. There was a guidebook in the airbnb we stayed in called 10 best hikes in Boulder or something like that. Mt Sanitas is close and moderate difficulty, my kids hiked up Chautauqua a few months ago and said it was steep in spots, but they did it and they aren't serious hikers.
Great town, you'll love it!
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Definitely heed the advice of having enough water to stay hydrated. Also key, be sure to wear sunscreen. With the thinner air at altitude, you can burn much quicker up here. If you are feeling ambitious, here are a few other things you may be interested in checking out:

Just northwest of Boulder is Rocky Mountain National Park, which has the highest continuous paved road in the US known as Trail Ridge Road. It runs between Estes Park and Grand Lake and has some pretty amazing views.

It may be worth checking out the concert schedule for Red Rocks to see if there are any interesting shows when you are here. It's quite the outdoor venue.

If you have the time, Hanging Lake in Glenwood Canyon is worth the hike, however it is about 150 miles west of Denver. It is a very popular hike, so you have to get there early in the morning to get parking. If you do go up there, be respectful of the rules and do not walk out on the log or go into the water. The forest service is contemplating closing the trail due to people not respecting the rules and to some recent vandalism.

06-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #15
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Some of the below has already been said, but I'll say it again:

Expect to be out of breath. Boulder is at 1655 meter elevation, and most hikes go up from there.

Expect to be dehydrated. Colorado is quite dry. Always always always have water with you, even if you're simply driving around.

Use sunscreen. At this elevation, UV levels are quite high. Even when the air temperature feels cool, the sun is very powerful.

Heading west out of Boulder on Boulder Canyon Drive is a beautiful area. Betasso Preserve is just a few minutes away and you can get in 10 km of hiking by doing all the trails. Go on a Saturday when it's hiking only - otherwise you'll be dodging mountain bikes.

Go further up in to the mountain, head north from Nederland and you'll get to Mud Lake which has some short, pretty trails. Mud Lake then connects to Caribou Ranch which offers additional kilometers to hike and has a semi-preserved silver mine from the late 1800s at the far end.

(Nederland, aka 'Ned', is a very odd town. I don't know quite how to describe it. They have a festival every winter called Frozen Dead Guy Days, and yes, it's about a frozen dead guy. Worth a stop if that sort of oddity is your thing.)

That road heading north out of Nederland is called the Peak To Peak Highway and is very scenic. Check it out if driving pretty roads appeals to you. Take it all the way up to Estes Park where the supposedly haunted Stanley Hotel is, the inspiration for Steven King's The Shining.

Just west of Estes Park, about an hour away from Boulder, is Rocky Mountain National Park. A day pass is $20 USD and the hiking and scenery and views are totally worth it. Expect it to be very crowded unless you hike away from the roads, though. Many of the trailhead parking lots will be full so you'll need to catch a shuttle, most likely. RMNP has the country's highest continuous paved road, at 3713 meters. Look for marmot, pika, elk (aka red deer, I think?), ptarmigan and big horn sheep up there.

Other trails in Boulder County that I like are Heil Valley Ranch and Hall Ranch. Boulder Reservoir is just barely outside the city of Boulder and has plenty of trails, but it's a good bit more exposed to the sun. It's popular for people to walk their dogs there in the mornings, for example.

Last edited by elistan; 06-13-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
DYoung32.00
      06-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #16
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
User sunscreen. At this elevation, UV levels are quite high. Even when the air temperature feels cool, the sun is very powerful.
Fun fact, the day I hiked Gray's and Torrey's Peak, I forgot my hat and I have extremely short hair.

First time I've gotten insane sunburn on my scalp before.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #17
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Don't forget to go to Avery!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #18
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
Don't forget to go to Avery!
Avery, The Post, Odd 13, FATE, Upslope, Left Hand, Wibby...
Just to name a few.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #19
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Avery, The Post, Odd 13, FATE, Upslope, Left Hand, Wibby...
Just to name a few.
Avery by far my fav for their awesome beer and scrumptious food.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 03:02 AM   #20
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Some of the below has already been said, but I'll say it again:

Expect to be out of breath. Boulder is at 1655 meter elevation, and most hikes go up from there.

Fantastic - thank you - appreciate the great info.

I will be visiting on the weekend of 29th / 30th July.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 03:05 AM   #21
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Definitely heed the advice of having enough water to stay hydrated. Also key, be sure to wear sunscreen. With the thinner air at altitude, you can burn much quicker up here. If you are feeling ambitious, here are a few other things you may be interested in checking out:

Thank you Jason - all great to know.

Appreciate your time to respond !!
Appreciate 0