Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
well dude, obviously its just my opinion...and i'm not trying to pretend that its any more than that. on the other hand, growing up in a wealthy community where BMWs, Porsches, MBs, etc. are a dime a dozen, and Ferraris can be seen on every other corner driving around town, i've certainly had my fair share of experiences pulling up next to exotics at traffic lights, or attending meets with cars much "nicer" than my own. and yet, in neither of those situations is my car usually the one to be neglected or ignored by onlookers or attendees...and i was parked next to much nicer/awe-inspiring cars than a Z8. as for the M Coupe, it gets even more attention than my car does b/c of the crazy wheels and super-controversial body styling.

i see where you're coming from in reference to the IS300 in comparison to a Z8. but most Z8's i see are often left unmodified, and beyond the body styling, the Z8 leaves alot to be desired. so i'm not surprised that a clean stock-bodied IS300 with a perfect drop and gorgeous wheels with the perfect offsets would turn more heads.

don't get me wrong, like i said previously, the Z8 is a beautiful car. but by no means is it BMW's pinnacle of design. and yes, put a stock-bodied MKIV Supra OR a Z3 M Coupe next to a Z8, and i believe the Z8 not to be the better looking car IMO.

you may not be sure about what reality i'm living in, but rest assured, i'm living in reality.
post pix of said Supra

I guess if u go to a ricer meet, more ppl will drool over the IS
same happened with me and my bro's Z4 M roadster

went to a "car meet" (read: ricers)
no attention... ppl were lined up around civics...
doesn't mean the civic is nicer.
      03-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #25
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
post pix of said Supra
see post # 18 (the one just after your first post in here). its nothing special - stock body, repainted OEM wheels, with a nice drop. but its not like i'd need to post pics of an outrageous or over-the-top Supra to show you a Supra that would steal the show from a Z8. IMO, even stock for stock, the MKIV Supra looks cleaner, sleeker, wider, more intimidating, and just better in general than the Z8. but don't get it twisted, i still think the Z8 is a stunning car...its just that i think the Supra looks and is that much better.

Quote:
I guess if u go to a ricer meet, more ppl will drool over the IS
same happened with me and my bro's Z4 M roadster

went to a "car meet" (read: ricers)
no attention... ppl were lined up around civics...
doesn't mean the civic is nicer.
i agree...there is no doubt that a clean stock-bodied IS300 on outrageous wheels is going to attract more "ricers" than a 997TT/335i/CLK63/etc. at a "ricer meet." however, i never stated that either an IS300, a Supra, or a Z3 M Coupe was nicer than the Z8 we've been comparing them to...i just simply stated that there are cleanly modified examples of each that would turn more heads. not only that, but i produced pictures of said vehicles.

but i guess i should clarify at this point that we are not attending "ricer meets." our local Saturday night meets are for everyone - JDM's, Euro's, domestics, exotics, etc. for instance a few weeks back we had the following show up: SLR McLaren, 360 Spider, Challenger SRT-8, Ford GT, Viper SRT-10, Gallardo Superleggera, 2 Supras (including my own), 2 335i sedans (no coupes showed up), a few A4's & S4's from various generations, some 240SX's with SR20 swaps, some clean S2000's, Integras, and Civics, a race/track prepped Miata, etc. granted, half of the Hondas, Nissans, and Mazdas were on the ricey side, but they were in the minority to begin with, and the other half of them were very clean and tastefully modified. so we can't contribute any lack of attention for some of the "nicer" cars present to the idea that a majority of attendees were ricers, b/c they weren't.

anyways, perhaps you did in fact attend a meet full of ricers, and that would certainly explain why you got less attention than you thought you would. but that's certainly not the case with any of the cars in the pictures i posted. if you showed up at one of our meets, and my sister's IS turned more heads, it would NOT be because a majority of attendees are ricers, but rather because she's got the perfect wheels, the perfect offsets, and the perfect drop, and you're rather stock-looking...and that in and of itself is going to turn more heads.

...on that note, we've taken this thread completely off topic. this thread is about a modded 335i Vs a Z8, and NOT about what will turn more heads, a Z8 or a "fill in the blank"? i made one small comment in response to someone's statement that the "Z8 owns all other BMW's," and look how its blown up. anyways, if you'd like to continue this debate, create a new thread out of respect for the OP so that we don't hijack this one any further...i'll be more than happy to participate.
      03-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #26
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
thread jacking is the natural course of every thread

no offense, but I don't see how some gold colored rimmed IS300 (that looks like a Jetta) will grab the attention off a Z8 or a Superleggera.

and those rims on the Z3.. they look like they should be on some wigger's white 300C
I prefer a stock clean look to that of a 16 year old's Fast & Furious dream.

this says "I've got style."

I guess your neighborhood full enzos, superleggeras, Maserati MC12 and flying cars on every driveway are blown away by rims and unnoticeable drops because they are so played out....
      03-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #27
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no offense, but I don't see how some gold colored rimmed IS300 (that looks like a Jetta) will grab the attention off a Z8 or a Superleggera.
none taken...its not my car anyways . and while i disagree that the IS300 looks anything like a Jetta, i do agree that an IS300 sporting just some random, average looking wheels is not going to grab attention from a Z8...the Supra and the M Coupe on the other hand is a different story. that being said, those aren't just some gold colored rims - they're Work Emotions, and their fitment on the IS is flawless. and i mention the latter part b/c there are a million cars out there that have shitty wheels and/or shitty offsets. and it doesn't matter how nice the wheels or the car is - if the offset/fitment isn't perfect, it can ruin the whole look of the car. regardless, i'm not tyring to change your mind about whether a very clean IS300 with eye-catching body and wheel finishes will garner more attention than a Z8. you're going to believe what you want to believe, and that's the great thing about the forums - we're all entitled to our own opinions, and we can agree to disagree whenever want.

...and just to be clear, none of our cars garners attention quite like the Superleggera does when he makes it out to the meets...sorry if i implied otherwise.

Quote:
and those rims on the Z3.. they look like they should be on some wigger's white 300C
I prefer a stock clean look to that of a 16 year old's Fast & Furious dream.
i'm beginning to question whether you're a true enthusiast or not, seeing as how and enthusiast would recognize the top-quality and racing pedigree of Work Wheels, whereas, all you see is bright colors and bling...the same oversight you made on the IS300 too. that being said, i also prefer a stock clean look to that of a 16 year old's Fast & Furious dream...good thing this particular M Coupe is no way, shape, or form a "rice-mobile" or "FnF-inspired," or else i'd prefer the OEM look too.

Quote:

this says "I've got style."
no doubt, but it also says "i have flaws, fix them PLEASE!"...flaws that i could also point out on a bone-stock IS300 and Z3 M Coupe, but not on this particular IS or M Coupe. i'll start with horrid looking OEM wheels, and a 5" granny gap. it BMW had incorporated a proper drop and wheel sizes/fitment into the Z8's suspension geometry from the get-go, it would be damn near perfect aesthetically, instead of a car that leaves plenty to be desired in stock form. on the contrary, this IS and M Coupe leave nothing further to be desired, with their sick wheels, stock bodies, and perfect stances. is the Z8 "more exotic looking" than an IS300? yes...the Supra or the M Coupe? eh, not really...even in bone-stock form they're no less exotic looking than a Z8. does a Z8 look "better" than this particular IS, M Coupe, or Supra? that's too subjective a question to answer factually...and so is the question "will any of these cars steal the lime light from a Z8?" of course, you know my opinion...
      03-20-2009, 05:07 AM   #28
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
sounds like a driver's race to me...those mods on a 335i would probably make a bit more WHP than a Z8, and you'll make a bit less power than that due to AWD. the Z8 is lighter than your 335xi too...

i'll respectfully disagree. it is a great looking car, but only an average performance car. and even in the looks department i don't think the Z8 owns all other BMWs. for instance, my brothers Z3 M Coupe turns far more heads than a Z8 ever did, ever does, or ever will...and its a much better handling car,despite being down on power:

That better be a 2001 Z3M.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #29
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
That better be a 2001 Z3M.
sorry to disappoint...but its only a '99. don't worry though, we've been making good use of the USDM S52B32 under the hood...with a few bolt-ons and a 75 shot of nitrous, my brother was running high 12's @ ~108-109mph. he's since gotten rid of the nitrous and is preparing for a one-off custom top-mount PT67...i believe he's shooting for ~450whp on pump gas and ~600whp on race gas.