BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-04-2020, 01:30 AM   #1
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Drive recorder set up

Guys and girls, I know there’s threads relating to drive recorder but I can’t find the answers to actually getting it up and running.
The dealer has told me I need to down load the BMW Connected drive app to set the display key up and then use the app to set the drive recorder. Is he correct or do I need to subscribe to one of their paid for services or is it all done through the car i.e. no key required?
My car is being delivered in 2 hours but it’s just a drop off by a driver and wave goodby! I was given the display key yesterday by the dealer, it’s still in its wrapping and once charged it has no history / data on it so I bet it’s not even linked to the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:23 AM   #2
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
Guys and girls, I know there’s threads relating to drive recorder but I can’t find the answers to actually getting it up and running.
The dealer has told me I need to down load the BMW Connected drive app to set the display key up and then use the app to set the drive recorder. Is he correct or do I need to subscribe to one of their paid for services or is it all done through the car i.e. no key required?
My car is being delivered in 2 hours but it’s just a drop off by a driver and wave goodby! I was given the display key yesterday by the dealer, it’s still in its wrapping and once charged it has no history / data on it so I bet it’s not even linked to the car?
I just logged into the ConnectedDrive store (via my computer) and started the 30 day free trial, but I’ll most likely purchase it when the trial ends. It showed up in my iDrive apps list shortly after. Not sure what the display key has to do with any of this.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer836.50
      06-04-2020, 05:21 AM   #3
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Quote:
Guys and girls, I know there's threads relating to drive recorder but I can't find the answers to actually getting it up and running.
My car is being delivered in 2 hours but it's just a drop off by a driver and wave goodby! I was given the display key yesterday by the dealer, it's still in its wrapping and once charged it has no history / data on it so I bet it's not even linked to the car?
Yeah think you've been misguided there.

So you need to created a connected drive account. Set up your vehicle.

See if the driver recorder is available for your car

Either buy or take the trial

You'll get an email confirmation

Go to your Apps in your car

Hit refresh and it should appear

I had a delay on the email, had to contact connected drive team for them to push something through on their end
Addbuyer836.50
      06-04-2020, 05:31 AM   #4
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, car delivered and I have had to go straight to work with it (3.2 miles) and that's it until I go home tonight , maybe then i will get to look around it.
Cant believe how quite it is for a V8
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 05:33 AM   #5
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Thanks guys, car delivered and I have had to go straight to work with it (3.2 miles) and that's it until I go home tonight , maybe then i will get to look around it.
Quote:
Oh you tease.... mmmmm V8
Addbuyer836.50
      06-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
How quiet mate? I pick mine up in the next week. Is it as muted as the E92 M3 was or worse (at least that could be opened up with an exhaust mod). Ordered mine without driving one...just loved the M50d but didn't want an oil burner!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
How quiet mate? I pick mine up in the next week. Is it as muted as the E92 M3 was or worse (at least that could be opened up with an exhaust mod). Ordered mine without driving one...just loved the M50d but didn't want an oil burner!
Worse, I had to open the window to hear if the engine was running and I'm not joking either! I have still only done 3.2 miles in it and not tried sports mode yet but I'm not holding my breath for any sound improvement. Maybe it sounds nice to pedestrians but for me its very poor. Nice to drive though but yes, definitely a bit of exhaust work need, IF I DON'T RETURN THE CAR
Oh and i didn't test drive mine before buying either
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Worse, I had to open the window to hear if the engine was running and I'm not joking either! I have still only done 3.2 miles in it and not tried sports mode yet but I'm not holding my breath for any sound improvement. Maybe it sounds nice to pedestrians but for me its very poor. Nice to drive though but yes, definitely a bit of exhaust work need, IF I DON'T RETURN THE CAR
Oh and i didn't test drive mine before buying either
That's a shame mate. Sounds like I may need to start planning on downpipes etc then. Hopefully Sport + will sound better as I find most BMWs are muted in Comfort.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer836.50
      06-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #9
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
It's available free in the USA with new purchase starting with the 2020.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer836.50
      06-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #10
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

I’ve found the app installed on the car and set it up. Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #11
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
That's a shame mate. Sounds like I may need to start planning on downpipes etc then. Hopefully Sport + will sound better as I find most BMWs are muted in Comfort.
There are no flashes at home at this point, so you will have to bring your vehicle to a shop or send them the DME through the mail if you don't want a CEL. That is an important one to note.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:28 PM   #12
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Can you export the saved files?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #13
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
Yes, you can export them to the USB drive in the tray above the cup holders.
Appreciate 1
edtreo88.50