BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #155
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

One thing to also consider...the ball adapter on a WDH can be in the 75# range, so you need to add that to the actual tongue weight of the trailer.

Yes, a WDH will transfer some weight to the front axle from the rear one, but it does that by twisting on the body. The body is only so stiff. From your weighing exercise, it appears that that big lever is pushing/twisting about 200# average, and more when you go over a bump.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #156
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

Another thing to consider- propride (which is the best WDH on the market) is 180 lbs. However, it adds ca. 3 ft of length between the tongue and the receiver. Therefore, actual impact on the TW is in 60-80 lbs range.

Unibody is very rigid, stiff. Much stiffer than body on frame. Using WDH should not be an issue. The hitch may require reinforcement, but no problem with WDH and unibody.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 08:16 PM   #157
elp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Another thing to consider- propride (which is the best WDH on the market) is 180 lbs. However, it adds ca. 3 ft of length between the tongue and the receiver. Therefore, actual impact on the TW is in 60-80 lbs range.

Unibody is very rigid, stiff. Much stiffer than body on frame. Using WDH should not be an issue. The hitch may require reinforcement, but no problem with WDH and unibody.
Bono, when you setup your WDH initially, what level was your air suspension set at? I suspect that might my problem as Air Suspension is taking on the weight from WDH as it is trying to maintain the same height and not allowing the vehicle to sag. Not sure if this is plausible.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #158
elp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Clearly your tongue weight is higher (800+ lbs) than dry published TW, but there should not be a surprise. My published TW is 680 lbs, dry TW with Propride hitch ca. 700 lbs and ready for camping 800-900 lbs.

In order to reduce the TW moved the batteries from the tongue to the back to the trailer (400bAh lithium), install 20 lbs propane cylinders instead of 30 lbs. I am putting all heavy stuff in the trailer over the axles.

800 lbs TW where dry TW is 400 lbs is too much. You need to work on this.
I agree and this is definitely a big surprise to me. Do you think this much weight is going to cause issues to the factory hitch which is only rated at 600. I did that briefly during the test by removing WDH, and drove a few blocks. I'm also noticing that during my hitching process, there are moments where the Jack is going to put even more weight on the hitch George spring bars are out on. I assume this is going to be the case for many.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 11:30 PM   #159
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

Air suspension does not transfer any weight. IMO you should set up WDH based on CAT scale tickets (trying to restore front axle weight and not to exceed rear axle limit).

I started towing without air suspension - just set up the WDH based on CAT scale measurements. Then I added air bags in the back to to help the suspension. It just level the tow vehicle but is not necessary, if WDH is set up correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp View Post
Bono, when you setup your WDH initially, what level was your air suspension set at? I suspect that might my problem as Air Suspension is taking on the weight from WDH as it is trying to maintain the same height and not allowing the vehicle to sag. Not sure if this is plausible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
elp39.00
      06-15-2021, 12:44 AM   #160
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC | '20 Z4

As I sit here, browsing the internet late at night, I wanted to run a crazy idea past everyone. I've got an x5m which I'm planning on towing with, close to the 7700 lbs weight limit. I'll be using a reinforced tow bar with WDH and anti sway, etc.

So far, everything above seems doable and I'll be respectful of the tongue weight.

Here's where browsing the internet at night can be dangerous: I saw a product that's essentially air bag sleeves that slip inside the rear coil springs. The idea is to help level out the back end while towing. This is pretty common for pick up trucks, but I doubt anyone would be crazy enough (…) to do this on their X5s.

Im wondering if 1) it's worth doing 2) more importantly, when deflated/not towing, if it would impact handling dynamics/performance in any way. From what I've seen, they just deflate and sit inside the Center of the coil spring. Doesn't look like they get in the way of anything when not being used.

Has anyone done anything like this on a SUV? I realize this is probably a question better suited for the manufacture but I'm hoping for a non biased opinion (I already know I'm likely crazy for even considering this haha) - the kit I saw was x5 specific, so I'm assuming it's been tested already.
      06-15-2021, 02:17 AM   #161
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

This is exactly what I have installed in my E70. I am not a real DIY person, but I could do it.

For $100 it is worth it. No impact on handling when deflated.

https://amzn.to/3gsiOFe
Appreciate 1
-cj-201.00
      06-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #162
WhereItsAt
Constantly Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four Wheels

I believe the max towing is 7,200 and only when having the factory towing package. Which, by the way, includes rear air suspension. Without the factory tow package, the max tow is 6,000 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
As I sit here, browsing the internet late at night, I wanted to run a crazy idea past everyone. I've got an x5m which I'm planning on towing with, close to the 7700 lbs weight limit. I'll be using a reinforced tow bar with WDH and anti sway, etc.

So far, everything above seems doable and I'll be respectful of the tongue weight.

Here's where browsing the internet at night can be dangerous: I saw a product that's essentially air bag sleeves that slip inside the rear coil springs. The idea is to help level out the back end while towing. This is pretty common for pick up trucks, but I doubt anyone would be crazy enough (…) to do this on their X5s.

Im wondering if 1) it's worth doing 2) more importantly, when deflated/not towing, if it would impact handling dynamics/performance in any way. From what I've seen, they just deflate and sit inside the Center of the coil spring. Doesn't look like they get in the way of anything when not being used.

Has anyone done anything like this on a SUV? I realize this is probably a question better suited for the manufacture but I'm hoping for a non biased opinion (I already know I'm likely crazy for even considering this haha) - the kit I saw was x5 specific, so I'm assuming it's been tested already.
Appreciate 1
-cj-201.00
      06-21-2021, 07:51 PM   #163
Waryer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

This is my first post. I have a 2019 BMW X5 XDrive40i.

I bought it for my wife. I drive a 2016 BMW 328 because I can whip it around town easier. That said, I was somewhat concerned about being able to tow and launch a boat. I recently bought a 2,700 pound boat. With the motor, trailer, gas, gear, etc. the total weight is 5,000 pounds. It’s a 24 foot center console boat. I have towed it over 30 miles one way in city traffic. I have launched it at slimy boat ramps. The X5 is a towing beast. The AWD XDrive gives you plenty of confidence on the ramps. I am only reiterating what plenty others have posted on this thread. The only reason I’m posting now is in appreciation for the info shared previously by you all.

My X5 did not come with a hitch. I had a hitch retrofitted by a reputable independent BMW hobby shop. They did a great job. It’s not an invisihitch. And it’s not the awkward shaped euro hitch either. It’s a standard hitch receiver but it’s from the BMW factory. I also have OEM wire harness and module that I bought separately from a dealer. The shop also had to install software on the X5 which went through without any problems. Now I have “trailer mode” which I did not have before.

I’m posting this for posterity. If anyone has an X5 and is unsure about towing and launching a boat, don’t be (assuming your entire rig is 5,000 pounds +/- 500 pounds.

P.s. You will need a hitch with a 2” drop and a 2” ball. My trailer sat perfectly level with that setup. I do not have air suspension and it’s not necessary to tow my boat and trailer.
Appreciate 3
-cj-201.00
jim10139.00
QM287.00
      06-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #164
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

We're looking at getting a camping trailer for the 45e next year. The reduced towing for the 45e is 5,952 lbs and 551 lbs at the hitch. Inside the driver's door it says that the load limit for passengers and cargo is 947 lbs. If I assume a hitch weight of 500 for a light weight trailer, does this leave me with just 447 pounds inside the vehicle? Does the hitch weight counts against the vehicle load limit?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #165
Socaldriver
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
This will be the first time I've ever towed anything with the X5. So excited, I had to get a picture of it.

The 2017 Indian Chieftain gets dropped off for new tires tomorrow.

What are you towing with your X5/6/7???
My mistake was not having a tow hitch and I MTB. First world problems…lol!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 06:10 PM   #166
agzx517
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW G05

Hi guys, I have the rack package from Stealth hitch. I need to get a utility trailer and Im wondering if I can use a 2" ball adapter to just tow miscellaneous things to the dump from my house. I know I am not supposed to tow anything with the rack and the ball mount they sell is used for towing but it would be a medium sized (6'x4') utility trailer. Does anyone have any thoughts or expertise on this? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 10:14 PM   #167
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Buy their ball adapter. The receiver plug-in is not designed for the load of a trailer. Better safe than sorry. The receiver plug-in doesn't have all that much of a load rating...sufficient for bike racks, but not for the dynamic stresses you might get with a trailer.

Thought they normally sold it with both the ball and receiver plug-ins...they used to be packaged separately. Maybe I just haven't read it recently...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 07:53 AM   #168
Coleburns
Rep
Drives: x5

All, hope some can help

I just got delivery of x5 and I am trying to get the 13 to 7 pin adapter to fit

How do I get the fitting right?
Once fitted, can It stay on permanently and will it retract without any issues??

This is the adapter i have
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 08:55 PM   #169
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The gooseneck retracts, but I didn't think the plug did as well.

You'd need to run the system through a retract/projection cycle and see how much clearance there is. There's usually a cover on the 13-pin socket, so if you left the adapter on, unless it has a cap, the contacts could be corroded.

I had a 13-pin socket on my last vehicle (I bought it in England and took it back to the states with me), and it's super quick to insert a plug into the socket, so I would just leave that adapter on the trailer rather than the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:47 PM   #170
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Has anyone has had a stealth hitch installed in Melbourne, Australia? If so who was the installer?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:23 AM   #171
s2kspyder
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Trailer brake controller

I am new to towing but my friend used to tow his track car with his 2012 x5 diesel. I got the factory tow package for my 45e which has 2 plugs at the back.

Do I still need a trailer brake controller when towing a car?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:08 PM   #172
elp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kspyder View Post
I am new to towing but my friend used to tow his track car with his 2012 x5 diesel. I got the factory tow package for my 45e which has 2 plugs at the back.

It depend on what you are towing but for most cases I would think so. Curt Echo wireless brake controller seems to be working quite well for a number for folks here on both X5 and X7. Personally I have not had any issue other than the rubber strap not staying in place but there are ways you can keep it secure.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 04:24 PM   #173
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kspyder View Post

The user manual lists which towing loads require brakes on them. Most trailers that need them will require a controller installed unless the trailer has it’s own that activated them automatically…don’t remember what they’re called.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #174
Larch713
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Angry 7 pin connector

No power to 12 volt pin 2021 X5 with factory installed tow package.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #175
Larch713
Rep

Angry 7 pin connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustdrive View Post
I recommend the Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller. Hook it up to the 7 pin, pair, connect the trailer.

I have over 1,500 miles towing with this. Takes a little to dial in, but every brake controller has its quirks. I use an old cell phone to pair so I can use my current phone for everything else.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQ99SDD..._Vx2jFbM8DS46T
I have no power to the 12 volt pin. Help
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #176
Larch713
Rep

Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Minnesota View Post
First, a thanks for the many on this forum. I’ve learned a lot and this is my first post. I pulled a large camper of about 35’ and 6k lbs camper for the first time a coupe of weeks ago for about 200 miles. Nervous about the WDH, I tested it without and the two axel suspension did all the work. Never used the WDH. The transmission and I6 engine was amazing and had to hold back on the throttle realizing that I was approaching 70 miles an hour on the highway. I could definitely feel the trailer when buffeted by wind or other vehicles but my X5 left me confident (perhaps overly so).

I was troubled by all the wiring diagrams for a break controller on this forum. I bought the Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake Controller and was very impressed. Default settings, plug and play. No homemade wiring. It worked extremely well except for the included safety strap (zipped tied instead)

I pulled in at our destination with a big smile on my face because I was so impressed (and relieved to get there without incident). Would I want to tow a trailer regularly - no, it was a favor for a friend. It was fun to do it once and while the X5 was flawless in execution - the work the air suspension and transmission did (my gas mileage was cut in half) must take a toll.

Cheers!
Any issues getting 12volt power?
Appreciate 0