BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-28-2023, 08:49 PM   #1
RNDe
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 40i

Question 2024 X5 40i Needs New Transmission

Hi All,

New to the forum, but have a couple questions. I've seen several posts about issues with the 50e, but not much about the 40i. I took delivery over a month ago but the car only made it a couple miles from the dealership. Got the big red stop sign telling me to pull over immediately due to a power issue, then once I stopped I got the drivetrain malfunction warning and the DO NOT DRIVE message! We were towed back to the dealership and the car has been there since. This issue was escalated to the engineers and went through some remote checks after the dealership couldn't find the cause. Ultimately, they've decide that the generator isn't working because of the hybrid EME unit. Needs a new transmission now. Was originally told it would take 2 to 3 weeks, but we are on week 5 now.

1. Is this a typical timeframe, or do you think they are having an issue finding a transmission without the issue?
2. Has anyone else had this issue on the 40i?
3. The car also has the knee bag recall & I believe a 3rd code (other than the 8.5 update). Should I even be keeping this car at this point?
4. If not, what are my options?

UGH!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 09:08 PM   #2
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

I was told by a salesman that they had a deal on returned BMW several years ago. It died on the highway, turned out to be a loose connector, older couple said they lost faith in the car and wanted another one. They got one and so should you.
Appreciate 1
RNDe3.00
      07-28-2023, 09:10 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Almost everything in a modern vehicle like the X5 is computer controlled. While BMW does repair some assemblies, they tend to replace them versus repair some things, preferring to replace bigger modules rather than tear things down to repair them at the lower level. So, if something in the transmission got fried by another module, rather than replacing the fried bit inside the transmission, the protocol may just be to replace the whole transmission. As BMW doesn't make the transmission, it makes some sense that the dealers wouldn't be equipped to tear it apart and repair it. It sounds like one part caused the failure of another. What can be very frustrating is that BMW (and most other companies) use software to analyze the likelihood of failure, and keep spares based on that. When something out of the ordinary occurs, there may not be parts available.

The majority of vehicles coming off the production line do not have infant mortality failures. Once repaired, it should be fine, but it's your call to decide if you want to take advantage of your state's lemon law.
Appreciate 1
RNDe3.00
      07-28-2023, 09:16 PM   #4
Jen4BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 X3 M40i

Personally, I would never in a million years accept this vehicle. You didn’t spend your hard earned money for a broken down car. This is why you buy new versus rolling the dice on used.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2023, 09:33 PM   #5
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, X5 50e

If it was me, I'd be looking into the lemon law rules for my state, and then asking BMW to buy back the car before ordering again.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2023, 10:05 PM   #6
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

My guess is it might be a similar issue to this thread in X7 forum

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1971419
Appreciate 1
RNDe3.00
      07-28-2023, 10:49 PM   #7
RNDe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
My guess is it might be a similar issue to this thread in X7 forum

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1971419
Yes, that was interesting. One member had the exact same problem, waited 5 weeks for a new transmission. He's never posted again - so I'm hoping that means it fixed the problem. Thanks for sharing the link!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 10:52 PM   #8
RNDe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Almost everything in a modern vehicle like the X5 is computer controlled. While BMW does repair some assemblies, they tend to replace them versus repair some things, preferring to replace bigger modules rather than tear things down to repair them at the lower level. So, if something in the transmission got fried by another module, rather than replacing the fried bit inside the transmission, the protocol may just be to replace the whole transmission. As BMW doesn't make the transmission, it makes some sense that the dealers wouldn't be equipped to tear it apart and repair it. It sounds like one part caused the failure of another. What can be very frustrating is that BMW (and most other companies) use software to analyze the likelihood of failure, and keep spares based on that. When something out of the ordinary occurs, there may not be parts available.

The majority of vehicles coming off the production line do not have infant mortality failures. Once repaired, it should be fine, but it's your call to decide if you want to take advantage of your state's lemon law.
Do you happen to know how corporate handles things if weeks turn to months on getting the needed parts? Other than just making your payments in the interim?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 11:39 PM   #9
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDe View Post
Do you happen to know how corporate handles things if weeks turn to months on getting the needed parts? Other than just making your payments in the interim?
I have no direct knowledge...if it's likely to take a very long time, BMW may offer to buy back the vehicle and offer to build you a new one. It seems that they prefer not to use the lemon law if they don't have to, but their buy-back/rebuild new keeps you as a customer. If you go the lemon law route, you may buy something else. It's up to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 11:55 PM   #10
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Man, this forum is now flooded with thread on cars with problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 07:29 AM   #11
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
Man, this forum is now flooded with thread on cars with problems.
Whether it's here, Google reviews, Yelp....you often here a lot more moans than "yays!" on review sites.

Same stuff happened when the new 2019's came out. There was major issues, the never ending thread about the "wrinkled seats" (any one remember THAT one), etc.

Growing pains. BMW will figure it out but I think I'm going to wait a few months before pulling the trigger on this release.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 07:40 AM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
Whether it's here, Google reviews, Yelp....you often here a lot more moans than "yays!" on review sites.

Same stuff happened when the new 2019's came out. There was major issues, the never ending thread about the "wrinkled seats" (any one remember THAT one), etc.

Growing pains. BMW will figure it out but I think I'm going to wait a few months before pulling the trigger on this release.
Did someone say Wrinkled Seats????? I vaguely recall that topic

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Mixitt372.00
      07-29-2023, 07:51 AM   #13
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post

Hahaha, I did get one of the new 2019 x5's with leather gate back seats. Many posts about the leather. I didn't have one issue with my 2019!
Appreciate 1
Mixitt372.00
      07-29-2023, 08:10 AM   #14
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishTX View Post
If it was me, I'd be looking into the lemon law rules for my state, and then asking BMW to buy back the car before ordering again.
I agree 110%.

I understand that mechanical issues occur with new cars; however, this is not a simple CEL. It is a pretty major repair. 5-weeks into ownership, and no timeframe as to when you’ll be back in the road? Not acceptable. You need to protect your own interests and think it is time to consider your options outside of a repair.
Appreciate 1
RNDe3.00
      07-29-2023, 08:48 AM   #15
RNDe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I agree 110%.

I understand that mechanical issues occur with new cars; however, this is not a simple CEL. It is a pretty major repair. 5-weeks into ownership, and no timeframe as to when you’ll be back in the road? Not acceptable. You need to protect your own interests and think it is time to consider your options outside of a repair.
And less than 10 minutes driving the new car!
Appreciate 0