BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
kleo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Very bad repair job - advice needed

A month ago I noticed that there is a small crack near the passenger side fender. I took the car to the dealer and they offered to have it repaired under warranty using their authorized bodyshop, to which I agreed. The repair ended up took a month to complete due to needing extra parts from Germany, and I finally picked it up this Tuesday.

Long story short, I am extremely unsatisfied with the repair because the rocker panel, wheel arch and A-pillar speakers are ALL misaligned. The repair mainly happened on the passenger side so I am able to compare the driver side with passenger side and the difference is very noticeable. I also noticed that BOTH the driver and passenger side A-pillar speakers now have a big gap beneath them, which was not the case before the repair. I have no idea why they need to touch the driver side speaker!

I am not sure what's the best way to have it fixed right now -- I will contact the dealer for sure but I'm having a hard time trusting the same shop to perform the work for me again. The shittiness of the job is just unbelievable to me - are my expectations too high?
Attached Images

Last edited by kleo; 05-03-2019 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #2
imfletcher
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘18XC90,‘13A8L->&#

Can't believe they even tried to consider that a finished product. That's no where close. I would just flat refuse to take it back
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I'd agree, that's unacceptable and very bad. I'd take it back and give them one chance to make it right. After that, the gloves would be off.

Good luck!
      05-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Unacceptable. Your pictures make clear the poor workmanship; you are not being unreasonable. I would go back to the dealer and express your dissatisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Wow that is crazy, last time I have seen things like that misaligned it was due to bent frame rail on a truck!!!! You said a fend crack needed to be fixed??? Do you have more details about the damage and repairs? That looks to be more repair work than a fender fix. Do you have a pic of the damage they were fixing?
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #6
wjakridgeii
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Unacceptable. Your pictures make clear the poor workmanship; you are not being unreasonable. I would go back to the dealer and express your dissatisfaction.
That is horrendous! I would insist it be fixed right or start building you a new car.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #7
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

I can tell you from experience with the tweeter speaker cover, that the top clip is broken, my dealer messed mine up twice...I ordered ones online myself and did a self install which brought them back to original condition...have them order you new ones, coz I promise that can't be fixed... as far as the other parts, they really oughta take a second look and fix that crap or find a new authorized bodyshop! Sorry and best of luck
Appreciate 1
kleo12.00
      05-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
kleo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Wow that is crazy, last time I have seen things like that misaligned it was due to bent frame rail on a truck!!!! You said a fend crack needed to be fixed??? Do you have more details about the damage and repairs? That looks to be more repair work than a fender fix. Do you have a pic of the damage they were fixing?
Yes it's a small crack that happened spontaneously, I think perhaps the bolt holding it down is over torqued… There is no crash or any impact as far as I know. According to the work order they ordered and installed a new side panel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #9
kleo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
I can tell you from experience with the tweeter speaker cover, that the top clip is broken, my dealer messed mine up twice...I ordered ones online myself and did a self install which brought them back to original condition...have them order you new ones, coz I promise that can't be fixed... as far as the other parts, they really oughta take a second look and fix that crap or find a new authorized bodyshop! Sorry and best of luck
Thanks, appreciate the info! Any chance you got a part# for what you ordered? Is it just the clip/supporting piece?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #10
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleo View Post
Quote:
Thanks, appreciate the info! Any chance you got a part# for what you ordered? Is it just the clip/supporting piece?
51-33-9-460-501 and 51-33-9-460-502

You can't order just the clip, you order the whole tweeter speaker cover and install it, super easy to do, not sure what the service people were doing while installing them to f#%k it up twice...
Appreciate 1
kleo12.00
      05-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #11
kleo
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for letting me know that I'm not crazy. To be fair, the dealer has been pleasant to work with, I am mainly blaming the bodyshop for the crappy work this time. I'll take the car to the dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #12
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I ordered them from Germain BMW in Naples, FL..took 10 days to get from Germany, but they were the cheapest I could find, $70/each...
Appreciate 1
kleo12.00
      05-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #13
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
agree, I have a HK speaker from my G01 they broke in my garage still so
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #14
BMWasia
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36,Ford Explorer.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for letting me know that I'm not crazy. To be fair, the dealer has been pleasant to work with, I am mainly blaming the bodyshop for the crappy work this time. I'll take the car to the dealer tomorrow.
you are definitely not crazy!!!. a small repair job that is blown out of portion in damages coz after repair.

job done is mediocre. dealer should have check this prior to returning you car. poor service on part of the dealer.
Appreciate 0