2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
SCAM ALERT!!!

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
**SCAM ALERT**

I responded to a 'for sale' ad in these classifieds and I got 3 IMs from 3 different usernames! posing as the seller asking me to contact them via text or email. I had already made contact with one of them before I thought to check the username against the original post and discovered that the username I was responding to was different from the OP username.

Apparently, these guys are trolling the "for sale" sections, sends IMs to people who have responded to the ad and posing as the seller. Its unsavory antics like these that taint our community and give everyone else a bad name. Check the username that sends IMs to you and make sure it is from the original poster. It would also be a good idea to check the public profile and stats of anyone that you plan to do business with on these forums. There are other scam techniques, but these simple checks may keep you from becoming a victim.

Stay safe out there!

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 4
      03-17-2024, 08:05 AM   #2
Dagtan
Rep
Drives: X5 50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
**SCAM ALERT**

I responded to a 'for sale' ad in these classifieds and I got 3 IMs from 3 different usernames! posing as the seller asking me to contact them via text or email. I had already made contact with one of them before I thought to check the username against the original post and discovered that the username I was responding to was different from the OP username.

Apparently, these guys are trolling the "for sale" sections, sends IMs to people who have responded to the ad and posing as the seller. Its unsavory antics like these that taint our community and give everyone else a bad name. Check the username that sends IMs to you and make sure it is from the original poster. It would also be a good idea to check the public profile and stats of anyone that you plan to do business with on these forums. There are other scam techniques, but these simple checks may keep you from becoming a victim.

Stay safe out there!
Thank you for this. I have had the same experience and that's why I am overly cautious.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 09:01 AM   #3
Lifeisgood20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Thanks for sharing-just so sad. Wish there was a better way when it comes to monitoring/security.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 11:42 AM   #4
jtc_333
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 M50i

Yes please be very careful. Make sure the persons user name is same of person posting or replying. In last 2 days I got 6 scammers posing as a person selling something telling me to text them lol when its clearing not the person selling. Admins I dont think the rule requiring users to post and have certain REP is working before allowing users to send direct messages..
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2024, 02:57 PM   #5
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

As someone who sells stuff on forums from time to time, this kind of stuff is aggravating.
Appreciate 2