BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrboyd View Post
Here’s a pic of my update for my region.
Thanks for that. Have not seen a .5 update in the US before.

Edit: Guess I should have just waited a few hours to see it. I went out this morning and when stopped in the parking lot a message came up that my map was updated.
Attached Images

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 10-25-2019 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #24
TheHitchhiker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

1 day later, i got an update to 2019-3 from 2019-2.5.

Past: 2016 F10 550i M-Sport ~ 2015 F83 M4 Convertible ~ 2013 F30 335i M-Sport ~ 2006 E85 Z4 30i
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #25
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Help in understanding the map regions

When I look at the map screen shots in this thread, I see just a handful of states showing up. Does that mean that the last map update only had updates for those states and not any others? Or does it mean that the maps loaded in the X5 are only for those states, in which case what happens when you set your destination for states not displayed?
I'm just used to the way my TomTom works, I have the full United States and when I get updates, I don't know which states were updated but I get updates for the full United States.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
When I look at the map screen shots in this thread, I see just a handful of states showing up. Does that mean that the last map update only had updates for those states and not any others? Or does it mean that the maps loaded in the X5 are only for those states, in which case what happens when you set your destination for states not displayed?
I'm just used to the way my TomTom works, I have the full United States and when I get updates, I don't know which states were updated but I get updates for the full United States.

There are two different types of maps in the system for North America, the North American maps and the region maps. The North American map is not updated as often as the regions, I think it is four times a year. When a new version of your home region map is available, just that region is installed. When traveling through other regions, if a new version of that region's map is available then it is installed also. When going on long road trips through various regions you can end up with a list of regional maps. Once a new NA Map is installed then those regional maps will go away since the new NA map contains them.

Here are the regions:
Attached Images

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 10-26-2019 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Added region list
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #27
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
There are two different types of maps in the system for North America, the North American maps and the region maps. The North American map is not updated as often as the regions, I think it is four times a year. When a new version of your home region map is available, just that region is installed. When traveling through other regions, if a new version of that region's map is available then it is installed also. When going on long road trips through various regions you can end up with a list of regional maps. Once a new NA Map is installed then those regional maps will go away since the new NA map contains them.

Here are the regions:

If I understand this correctly, its the strangest thing I've ever seen, is this to reduce the wireless data transmission time for map updates? Certainly not to save HD space.

Situation: I live in NYS, so I would have NY, PA and a couple other states as my local region. I program the Nav to take me to Florida. At what point will it install the necessary maps and updates to those maps to get me to my destination? Once I save my trip?, as I drive? or? I mean its hard for me to think its going to install and update in real time as I approach the border between the maps already installed and the systems ability to know where I am, especially with all the flaky weird stuff I read about when it comes to anything update related. I can only imagine I am not quite understanding how it works. I remain hopeful
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #28
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
If I understand this correctly, its the strangest thing I've ever seen, is this to reduce the wireless data transmission time for map updates? Certainly not to save HD space.

Situation: I live in NYS, so I would have NY, PA and a couple other states as my local region. I program the Nav to take me to Florida. At what point will it install the necessary maps and updates to those maps to get me to my destination? Once I save my trip?, as I drive? or? I mean its hard for me to think its going to install and update in real time as I approach the border between the maps already installed and the systems ability to know where I am, especially with all the flaky weird stuff I read about when it comes to anything update related. I can only imagine I am not quite understanding how it works. I remain hopeful

You are misunderstanding the process. The maps for the entire NA are always installed on your system so no need to worry about a map not being there. It is just that the region maps are updated more often so you can have more current maps in the area you are driving in. If you happen to be driving in another region and there is an update you will get that automatically. I would imagine this is done to save bandwidth on the servers so people can have the most current data without receiving info they don't need. When the NA map is updated then the vehicle has the most current for all regions.

I'm pretty sure I have read that BMW's maps have operated like this for years.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #29
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you happen to be driving in another region and there is an update you will get that automatically.
Yup, got it and thanks for the clarification! - I just couldn't imagine it working as I first thought. Now, question is when you say if I happen to be driving in another region and there is an update I'd get that automatically, do you know when that update will occur? Once I save my travel route? or when I am already on the road approaching that area? or?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #30
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Yup, got it and thanks for the clarification! - I just couldn't imagine it working as I first thought. Now, question is when you say if I happen to be driving in another region and there is an update I'd get that automatically, do you know when that update will occur? Once I save my travel route? or when I am already on the road approaching that area? or?
It actually works out better than TomTom and other services since you will receive more than four updates in a year which I think is standard with others.

While you are traveling in the region. I think you have to be there for at least 8 hours or so but not sure about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #31
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It actually works out better than TomTom and other services since you will receive more than four updates in a year which I think is standard with others.

While you are traveling in the region. I think you have to be there for at least 8 hours or so but not sure about that.
It would be nice if it recognized your planned trip and once you start on your journey, at some point along the way but certainly before you need it, the updates would happen for the regions you will be traveling to or through. If the car needs to be in the region for 8 hrs or so before it updates the maps for that region, then at least that would provide updates while you're sleeping in your hotel along the way for the surrounding states but if you wanted to drive, say 10-12 hours per day, I guess its no better/worse than a TomTom/Garmin that you stick to your windshield.

Ok, all in all, I understand it better now, thanks TurtleBoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #32
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
You are misunderstanding the process. The maps for the entire NA are always installed on your system so no need to worry about a map not being there. It is just that the region maps are updated more often so you can have more current maps in the area you are driving in. If you happen to be driving in another region and there is an update you will get that automatically. I would imagine this is done to save bandwidth on the servers so people can have the most current data without receiving info they don't need. When the NA map is updated then the vehicle has the most current for all regions.

I'm pretty sure I have read that BMW's maps have operated like this for years.
I know you are the expert, but I am trying to revisit older threads like these:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...highlight=maps

In the first thread linked above you reported that a 'genius' told you they would update only one region, period. Then I reported not getting any updates for all the states I visited in May 2019 that took 3 weeks.

In the second thread I posted a photo that compared to the one I did upthread only shows OK, etc., going from 2019-1 to 2019-2.

Has there been a policy change? Was this announced somewhere?

Last edited by Xeno; 10-26-2019 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #33
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I know you are the expert, but I am trying to revisit older threads like these:

In the first thread linked above you reported that a 'genius' told you they would update only one region, period. Then I reported not getting any updates for all the states I visited in May 2019.

In the second thread I posted a photo that compared to the one I did upthread only shows OK, etc., going from 2019-1 to 2019-2.

Has there been a policy change? Was this announced somewhere?
Things are working consistently with what was discussed in previous threads. You only receive updates to your home region while in your home region and can't get other regions.

As your previous posts show, the regions you traveled through were updated.

Edit: Here is your post regarding the regions being updated by traveling though them:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I later discovered that the three regions that I covered in the last three weeks had apparently been updated. However, the maps was woefully dated particularly in Greenville, SC.

I also found a message in the BMW message app that my map(s) had been updated OTA. Here is what I am seeing:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=54

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 10-26-2019 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
Xeno315.00