BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2023, 11:45 AM   #1
razvanx77
Rep
Drives: BMW F34

Rear AC Panel Install / Gesture Control / Automated Steering

Hey guys, I recently got a '20 BMW X5 45e. It's a great car, but has less features than my '21 X3. Therefore I'm thinking about retrofitting:
- Rear AC climate controls
- Gesture Control
- Automated Steering.

For the Rear Ac Climate controls, to my understanding, I need the control unit, wiring and coding.

for the gesture control, I need the whole lights unit with the Camera and wiring

for automated steering, I guess I would need to change the left buttons on the steering wheel with another module that has the automated steering as well + some coding I guess. My car has ACC and lane assist, I guess no other extra module needed?

Any information and correction to what I just mentioned is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 12:46 PM   #2
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by razvanx77 View Post
Hey guys, I recently got a '20 BMW X5 45e. It's a great car, but has less features than my '21 X3. Therefore I'm thinking about retrofitting:
- Rear AC climate controls
- Gesture Control
- Automated Steering.

For the Rear Ac Climate controls, to my understanding, I need the control unit, wiring and coding.

for the gesture control, I need the whole lights unit with the Camera and wiring

for automated steering, I guess I would need to change the left buttons on the steering wheel with another module that has the automated steering as well + some coding I guess. My car has ACC and lane assist, I guess no other extra module needed?

Any information and correction to what I just mentioned is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
For the 3rd feature - if your camera on the top of windshield has 1 camera, that means you have to replace it to 3 cameras system + install sensors in bumpers, potentially additional hardware + coding.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 09:24 PM   #3
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

None of these could possibly be worth the headache. Especially the gesture control - it’s a silly gimmick.
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50
      11-11-2023, 04:30 PM   #4
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

A risky option, but might be worth mentioning: there are quite a lot of BMW shops focused on modifying cars located in Eastern Europe: Ukraine, Belarus, Russia with a reasonable price tag.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 04:14 AM   #5
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
None of these could possibly be worth the headache. Especially the gesture control - it’s a silly gimmick.
Yes gesture control is useless. It does things wrong more often than right. After initial cool factor, you have mine disabled.
      11-13-2023, 08:17 PM   #6
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Yes gesture control is useless. It does things wrong more often than right. After initial cool factor, you have mine disabled.
I find it particularly convenient to use gesture control with my right hand while steering with only left one. Minimum issues recognizing gestures.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:25 PM   #7
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Maybe it is LCI thing, with preLCI, there is nothing I cannot do between steering bottoms and bottom easily reachable by right hand of it needs to come off from
Steering, that gesture can do.