wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
No matter what section you want to call it, it's all ghetto now. But it is one of the few places you can buy a grand old marble staircase mansion in NJ for under $100k. You just don't want to step foot outside.

2 rentals in Camden? And they didn't burn them down on mischief night???! You were very lucky, but I'm sure you have some great stories.
So in 2001 I bought 2 foreclosures for $20k. No joke. Collected about 4-5 months of rent. Period. Trouble from Day 1 despite government sponsorship. My tenants defined the term deadbeat. You won't believe the excuses. The worst was actually a Greek guy named "Junior" aka Frank.

Cut my losses and just wrote it off.

As far as Trentiiiiin, I goto the Advanced Auto and Aldis on Olden Avenue sometimes when I'm in town. Ain't THAT bad. But I hear Ya.
That's terrible but at least you got out of it.

I consider Olden Ave almost Hamilton which isn't so bad. Try market St at 5:00 am, it's pretty Camdenish.
      04-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #90
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
This reminds me of this one time I was shopping at the mall around Christmas. I had a pretty common car back then, a Jet Black 335i.

I had just finished a full days shopping, when I got back to my car to put all the stuff in the trunk. As I approached the car I noticed someone sitting in the back seat. I cautiously checked the plate to see if it is indeed my car, as it is a popular model and color. The car is indeed mine, and so I got closer and saw that it's an old woman sitting in the back seat.

I asked the woman how and why she is sitting in my car.

The old woman replies that she had been shopping with her son and family but felt unwell and returned to the car to rest. She obviously had mistaken my car for her son's, as it was the same model and color. The old woman then asks to be driven to a hospital, as she is still feeling unwell. I originally agreed.

As I got into the driver's seat something made me very nervous about the situation and I asked the old woman if she is feeling well enough to direct me as I back the car out of the parking place. The old woman agrees, gets out of the car and proceeds to direct the reversing maneuver.

As soon as I got the car out of the parking space I sped out of the car park, leaving the old woman stranded. I then drive straight to the nearest police station and reports the incident.

A police officer then searched the car and found an axe concealed under the driver's seat.

I had had a lucky escape!
Omg tell me this story is fake! That's nuts!! Sketchy people these days...
Copy & paste urban legend. Was for the lulz. Sorry I got believed.
      04-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #91
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

obama
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #92
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Man, OP, I'm with you. You have to go with your gut instinct when driving (and in general). The one time you don't, and you're wrong, it's your ass and nobody else's. The keyboard internet warriors here are failing to put themselves in your shoes...

Honestly, I need a little more information about the situation and think this is a case-by-case situation for the decisions made. But, given the time of night (2:30AM), the fact that you were alone and in the middle of nowhere, and they were acting suspicious, well, let's just say you don't want to encounter anybody you don't personally know at that time unless THEY are in distress (or you're still in the club).

They were acting suspicious. They would have been pulled over by the police for acting suspicious, so it was right for you to be suspicious of them too.

I've floored it away from many precarious situations in the past, never to find out the truth, and never really cared to.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #93
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Why'd i had a premonition we'd be seeing the Uncle in here once someone mentioned a molesting uncle..
That sounds a bit like AGE DISCRIMINATION going on up in here - banned
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #94
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

It was a car load of hot chicks wanting to bang
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #95
JoyRin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Man, OP, I'm with you. You have to go with your gut instinct when driving (and in general). The one time you don't, and you're wrong, it's your ass and nobody else's. The keyboard internet warriors here are failing to put themselves in your shoes...

Honestly, I need a little more information about the situation and think this is a case-by-case situation for the decisions made. But, given the time of night (2:30AM), the fact that you were alone and in the middle of nowhere, and they were acting suspicious, well, let's just say you don't want to encounter anybody you don't personally know at that time unless THEY are in distress (or you're still in the club).

They were acting suspicious. They would have been pulled over by the police for acting suspicious, so it was right for you to be suspicious of them too.

I've floored it away from many precarious situations in the past, never to find out the truth, and never really cared to.
Exactly....although some of these responses are friggin' hilarious!! Living here my entire life, we learn not to take chances. When there's other people around and someone is acting/looking shady, you can take the chance and give them the benefit of the doubt. But when you're all alone and someone is acting/looking shady towards you, lets just say...you're not going to justify giving someone the benefit of doubt by saying to yourself profiling is bad and racist.

Its usually the sheltered individuals who are completely oblivious and naive to their surroundings and end up being victims in these situations. Its the parents of these individuals that are paranoid. The kids turn out to be...well...street-dumb.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #96
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyRin View Post
Exactly....although some of these responses are friggin' hilarious!! Living here my entire life, we learn not to take chances. When there's other people around and someone is acting/looking shady, you can take the chance and give them the benefit of the doubt. But when you're all alone and someone is acting/looking shady towards you, lets just say...you're not going to justify giving someone the benefit of doubt by saying to yourself profiling is bad and racist.

Its usually the sheltered individuals who are completely oblivious and naive to their surroundings and end up being victims in these situations. Its the parents of these individuals that are paranoid. The kids turn out to be...well...street-dumb.
What a lot of us have is referred to as situational awareness. This, coupled with a plan of escape should the situation escalate, saves lives. The difference between someone with situational awareness and a paranoid person experiencing your, incident (?), is that a paranoid person thinks they almost got car jacked or worse. A person with situational awareness and a plan, just calls it driving late at night.

My father would say, "What the hell were you doing out past midnight alway?!" Followed up with, "You had better have gotten laid if you're going to be out past midnight." lol
      04-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #97
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyRin
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post

You're calling yourself "street-smart" for profiling a car with chrome hubcaps and tinted windows? Lmfao...

The fact that you had to create a thread about it solidifies that fact... The fact that you're still dwelling on it solidifies that fact...

Keep it hood tho... You doin' big thangs out there in streets, yo...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #98
JoyRin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
What a lot of us have is referred to as situational awareness. This, coupled with a plan of escape should the situation escalate, saves lives. The difference between someone with situational awareness and a paranoid person experiencing your, incident (?), is that a paranoid person thinks they almost got car jacked or worse. A person with situational awareness and a plan, just calls it driving late at night.

My father would say, "What the hell were you doing out past midnight alway?!" Followed up with, "You had better have gotten laid if you're going to be out past midnight." lol
Lol....i understand. In my defense, the title was sort of meant to be just an attention grabbing headline...while possibly could've been true, it was still meant to just be an attention grabber, good taste or not.

And for me, my first plan of action in case i run into something bad is to escape. What we're debating here is whether i really should've made sure it was something i needed to escape from or just follow my gut and do it. Obviously we all have differences of opinions which was the exact reason i put this thread up.

As far as the sheltered individual thing...i was just responding the posters on page 1.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #99
JoyRin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
You're calling yourself "street-smart" for profiling a car with chrome hubcaps and tinted windows? Lmfao...

The fact that you had to create a thread about it solidifies that fact... The fact that you're still dwelling on it solidifies that fact...

A lot of the trollers on this thread were hilarious and witty with their responses. Yours was just dumb and ignorant. If i started this thread by saying i passed by a car with chrome wheels and tint and i ran away....your response may make sense....but obviously you didnt care to read the entire post.

Playa
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #100
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Honestly some joking here but everyone has his own perspective. I think most folks, including me, think you were much more sensitive about your incident than it probably called for.

A few questions:

- have you ever been in a real fist fight?
- have you ever been a victim of a violent crime?
- have you lived on your own in a metropolitan area?
- have you visited other countries that are considered 3rd world (not resorts)?

This might provide some insight on your rationale.

Better safe than sorry is fine. But what you've exhibited is congruent with the rationale behind playdates and Halloween curfews.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #101
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyRin
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post

A lot of the trollers on this thread were hilarious and witty with their responses. Yours was just dumb and ignorant. If i started this thread by saying i passed by a car with chrome wheels and tint and i ran away....your response may make sense....but obviously you didnt care to read the entire post.

Playa
You mean the posts that you've kept editing or adding things to? Those posts?

You've tweaked it as people have commented... Doesn't exactly count...

And the point still remains the same... What do you want, a cookie? It's over... It happened... Nobody will ever know if they were going to kidnap you to harvest your organs for the black market or they were drunk or just don't know how to drive...

Because you've added to the story or tweaked it here and there, doesn't take away from the way you came across originally - which was very much so profiling... That, would be ignorant...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #102
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335
Honestly some joking here but everyone has his own perspective. I think most folks, including me, think you were much more sensitive about your incident than it probably called for.

A few questions:

Better safe than sorry is fine. But what you've exhibited is congruent with the rationale behind playdates and Halloween curfews.
I lol'ed at (not resorts) for some reason... Club Med, anyone?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #103
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Club Med and Sandals don't count. Cuz I'm sure this dude loves all inclusive.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #104
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post

A few questions:

Oh shit.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #105
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

A few questions:

Nope - never happened because he knows what "types" to avoid - never go to the more... "urban" areas. Just look at my previous post - Screwface drove a tinted car with chrome wheels brah.
      04-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #106
JoyRin
Private
Rep

Quote:

A few questions:

Real fist fight...yes

Victim of violent crime....No (knock on wood)..although im not oblivious to the fact that it happens all around.

Metro area...no....what we call 'camden part ll'...yes for 2 years. Lindenwold nj...apartment cul de sacs where mine had a 'set' on it.

Visited other countries not in resorts....no....but again not oblivious to the fact that my situation doesnt come anywhere close to what other countries and our own soldiers are going thru.

Also without plastering my life story on the interwebs...lets just say ive been around the bad areas more than i would've liked.

Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that this is my first 'flashy' car. First bimmer...had subys since i got my license, while modded, definitely can still blend in.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #107
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Real fist fight...yes

Victim of violent crime....No (knock on wood)..although im not oblivious to the fact that it happens all around.

Metro area...no....what we call 'camden part ll'...yes for 2 years. Lindenwold nj...apartment cul de sacs where mine had a 'set' on it.

Visited other countries not in resorts....no....but again not oblivious to the fact that my situation doesnt come anywhere close to what other countries and our own soldiers are going thru.

Also without plastering my life story on the interwebs...lets just say ive been around the bad areas more than i would've liked.

Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that this is my first 'flashy' car. First bimmer...had subys since i got my license, while modded, definitely can still blend in.
Appreciate your candor. But your responses, sans explanations, solidifies your perspective.

BTW...if you goto Southern or Southwestern states, everyone has tint. In DFW, little old ladies driving 1997 Corollas got tint. Sometimes they got Autozone 14" hubcaps too. For reals.

Not trolling man, just giving you another perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #108
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Nope - never happened because he knows what "types" to avoid - never go to the more... "urban" areas. Just look at my previous post - Screwface drove a tinted car with chrome wheels brah.
You said Screwface...lol. He got 2 heads.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #109
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Lol....i understand. In my defense, the title was sort of meant to be just an attention grabbing headline...while possibly could've been true, it was still meant to just be an attention grabber, good taste or not.

And for me, my first plan of action in case i run into something bad is to escape. What we're debating here is whether i really should've made sure it was something i needed to escape from or just follow my gut and do it. Obviously we all have differences of opinions which was the exact reason i put this thread up.

As far as the sheltered individual thing...i was just responding the posters on page 1.
I personally won't fault you for your reaction. Doesn't affect me at all and better safe than sorry.

But please don't opt to carry a gun. lol

Glad you're taking all this internet crap in stride.
      04-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #110
JoyRin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate your candor. But your responses, sans explanations, solidifies your perspective.

BTW...if you goto Southern or Southwestern states, everyone has tint. In DFW, little old ladies driving 1997 Corollas got tint. Sometimes they got Autozone 14" hubcaps too. For reals.

Not trolling man, just giving you another perspective.
Understood!! But just gotta let this out......HAHAHA i finally got why everyone was dogging me about tinted windows. Tinted windows are illegal in NJ. They are not prevelant here. Only people with tinted windows are the modded car culture dudes/gals who dont give a shit about tickets, out of state, and people who dont want anyone looking in their car or their faces.
Appreciate 0