05-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #23
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I know the Army just changed regulations to make sure people have a more "professional" appearance, whatever that means.

I admit, it might have gotten a bit out of hand. People with hand tatoos, full sleeves, neck work, and stuff behind their ears, etc. It was a bit much sometimes.

Personally I don't care, because to me it's a personal decision. I don't have any, but I don't "look down" on those who do. I actually know people who have some masterpieces on their bodies. It's pretty incredible.

Then again, some people put the dumbest shit on them, it makes you just shake your head.
      05-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #24
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I know plenty of careers where tattoos aren't forbidden per se but they do serve as red flags during the hiring process.

Personally I think discrimination based on tattoo-wear is bigoted and without warrant, but you're deluding yourself if you don't think it happens.

Size, number, and visibility also matter. If you have a small tattoo hidden beneath your navel, that probably won't cause problems. If your entire arm is covered in ink, that plausibly could affect either employment opportunities or opportunities to advance within your career.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we likely won't ever see a president of the United States who has tattoos prominently displayed all over his or her face. Is this discriminatory? Sure. Is it without warrant? Sure. Tattoos are merely a form of art, after all. But there's a deeply rooted notion that tattoos look "unprofessional" when displayed too prominently on the body.
So the guy is going for the presidential position? So how many people do you know personally that has tattoos prominently displayed on their faces? Say you're not a total freak, where would a person typically have a tattoo that can't be covered with professional attire that their so called career requires? I never get what you're trying to say dude. Don't go on every thread saying matter of factly what is and what isn't like you somehow know something we all don't.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #25
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I know the Army just changed regulations to make sure people have a more "professional" appearance, whatever that means.

I admit, it might have gotten a bit out of hand. People with hand tatoos, full sleeves, neck work, and stuff behind their ears, etc. It was a bit much sometimes.

Personally I don't care, because to me it's a personal decision. I don't have any, but I don't "look down" on those who do. I actually know people who have some masterpieces on their bodies. It's pretty incredible.

Then again, some people put the dumbest shit on them, it makes you just shake your head.
Ugly tattoo spotting is the best hobby one can have! It takes a lot of practice to pull off the innocent face while laughing at the same time!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #26
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
So the guy is going for the presidential position? So how many people do you know personally that has tattoos prominently displayed on their faces? Say you're not a total freak, where would a person typically have a tattoo that can't be covered with professional attire that their so called career requires? I never get what you're trying to say dude. Don't go on every thread saying matter of factly what is and what isn't like you somehow know something we all don't.
You seem to have an inferiority complex based on your perceived tone of my posts. If you have a problem with my "matter-of-fact" way of posting, then don't read my posts. I'm not going to go out of my way to make sure that you don't feel inferior.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, then that's your problem. I try to write in a way that's accessible to people with high school-level reading comprehension.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

tattoos hurt.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #28
Lups
Rep

It's not even the end of second page, and popcorn is needed! Well done!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #29
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

No.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #30
Lucrecio84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011CrazE89 View Post
My wife is a nurse and has one. My neighbor is an airline pilot and has two. Not sure what having a career has anything to do with it.
some people are still living in the 60's

GINTANI TWIN TURBO E92/F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #31
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Personally, I'm not a big fan as I really can't see myself having one. That said, I have found strategically placed tattoos on women to be attractive. What I have noticed recently at least around here, is that many people are opting for more visible tattoos. It seems the "hip" thing to do now is have sleeves, neck tats, or for women, having one on their chest.
      05-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #32
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Tattoos are unprofessional in an office setting, especially in my field of finance and accounting. One of our managers is ex-miltary and has tats all over his arms. The guy never wears a short sleeve shirt in the office because of it.

Personally, I think if you want to stand out more nowadays, then don't get a tatoo.
You two just really don't want to give us ladies any eye candy, but it's okay, we'll marry you and drool elsewhere!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #33
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
For a female it's more difficult to come up with a spot, since we tend to age so well...
http://gprime.net/video.php/tattooremover
      05-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #34
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Ironically, I just made my appt a few days ago to get started on my sleeve. I've mapped this design out with my artist and I'm pretty excited.

I've accepted that for my last few years working in corporate America, I probably shouldn't wear polo T-shirts anymore, but I'm halfway into the music business so I won't be in corporate America much longer.

Here's some of my favorite pieces of work from a friend of mine. Very wealthy guy I might add.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #35
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Can't open that one, I'm a chicken.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #36
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

Lups, that link is safe for work; its a link to an old SNL sketch. Pretty funny, and the best argument for choosing your tat and location VERY carefully. Aging isnt always kind, and gravity is not your friend. I see lots of young girls with tats that are works of art today, but 20 years from now, will look terrible.
      05-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #37
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Lups, that link is safe for work; its a link to an old SNL sketch. Pretty funny, and the best argument for choosing your tat and location VERY carefully. Aging isnt always kind, and gravity is not your friend. I see lots of young girls with tats that are works of art today, but 20 years from now, will look terrible.
Yeah, my point in not taking one exactly. The back, area near shoulder blades is probably the only place I could have one, and then the point is a bit lost, since I don't get to see it. Oh well, I still say you guys owe us the decorations due to this!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #38
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Religion may be a factor folks. Just saying......
      05-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #39
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

At a Company BBQ we learned that our Human Resources Manager has a couple of them. Pretty sure she won't discriminate at an interview
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #40
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So I'll ask again, how does having a tatoo inhibit a person's ability to perform their job?
If a person has an "outward facing" job; dealing with customers/clients, then their appearance affects how a customer or potential customer perceives them, which could affect business, regardless of how good they might be at performing a specific task.

Having a big neck tat or lip piercing may not affect their physical or mental ability to perform the mechanics of a job, but unless they do that job in a vacuum, then the perception of the outside world matters in some cases. Not just white collar office jobs.

Apply for a job as a server at a high-end steak house, or exclusive country club, with a giant nose ring, or giant neck tat with skulls or something, and see how far you get. Does the hiring manager honestly think that will impair your ability to correctly take an order, and then bring that to the table? Probably not. They may have hidden tats themselves.

Do they think it will affect how customers will perceive their dining experience? Absolutely ! That's not a 1960's thing, it still happens today. Do they care if you have a giant skull tat on your chest where it's not visible by the customers? Probably not.

Would it bother me if my server looked like that ? Nope, but it would bother the older, more conservative, wealthier businessmen who represent a bigger portion of the repeat business, so I understand why they would filter applicants that way.
      05-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #41
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Hey now, I live on the east coast!

my bad haha
      05-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #42
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I have lots of tattoos, and it has never affected me getting a job. and you can see them pretty easily. Although I most of my jobs have been in the culinary and automotive industry, lol. No suit and tie for me. I made that decision a long time ago. The funny thing is in the automotive industry I deal with lots of older people who you would think would dislike them, but in actuality they really like them and ask me about them all the time, sometimes too much.

Plus some others I can't get pic of right now.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #43
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

^^ That protect your family tat looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #44
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

can we stop posting pics of man-nips please.
Appreciate 0