BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #23
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Not sure how they work on GO5 but on most models they work when you turn the wheel past a certain point, nothing to do with turn signals, you don't indicate when you are taking a bend.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #24
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
Not sure how they work on GO5 but on most models they work when you turn the wheel past a certain point, nothing to do with turn signals, you don't indicate when you are taking a bend.
Cornering lights are different than adaptive lights for the G05.

Adaptive lights = lights that follow the turn angle of the steering wheel to light past a bend up the road.

Cornering lights = seperate set of lights that light up 90 degrees to the car to light up the road when you're making a sharp turn... Say into a driveway or onto a street.

For the US G05 only the Lazer lights get the cornering lights. However all models get the adaptive LEDs.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #25
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X6M50i View Post
Cornering lights are triggered in two ways:

1, Turn signals;

2, Steering wheel turning angle.

So to see them in action, with car switched on and parked, turn steering wheel to either side 40° or more, or turn either side turn indicator on, then step out and enjoy

That is not correct for the X5, as well as some other models. The cornering lights are not triggered with the turn signals alone.
Can confirm. No need for turn signal. You can see them turn even if you're parked in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #26
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Cornering lights are different than adaptive lights for the G05.

Adaptive lights = lights that follow the turn angle of the steering wheel to light past a bend up the road.

Cornering lights = seperate set of lights that light up 90 degrees to the car to light up the road when you're making a sharp turn... Say into a driveway or onto a street.

For the US G05 only the Lazer lights get the cornering lights. However all models get the adaptive LEDs.
Agree, I was talking about cornering lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #27
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Agree, I was talking about cornering lights.
I have a 2020 X7 40i and I believe the "Adaptive" lights are standard on the X7.

However, I don't think the "Standard LED" headlights come with the cornering lights. At least not in the US. This might also be a "Regional" option depending on what country the vehicle was built for.

I just looked at my headlights again and it looks to me like the spot for the cornering lights is covered with a plastic plug. See the attached .pdf which shows both the Laser Lights and standard LED lights. Both the Standard LED and Laserlight headlights are showing the cornering lights on pages 33 and 34.

Now take a look at my left front headlight assembly and you will see that there is no light in the spot identified as the "Cornering Light" in the .pdf.

I was under the impression, reading my owner's manual, that my vehicle came with the cornering lights. Obviously that's not the case...Bummer!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf ST1832 G07 Complete Vehicle.pdf (3.06 MB, 74 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #28
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I have a 2020 X7 40i and I believe the "Adaptive" lights are standard on the X7.

However, I don't think the "Standard LED" headlights come with the cornering lights. At least not in the US. This might also be a "Regional" option depending on what country the vehicle was built for.

I just looked at my headlights again and it looks to me like the spot for the cornering lights is covered with a plastic plug. See the attached .pdf which shows both the Laser Lights and standard LED lights. Both the Standard LED and Laserlight headlights are showing the cornering lights on pages 33 and 34.

Now take a look at my left front headlight assembly and you will see that there is no light in the spot identified as the "Cornering Light" in the .pdf.

I was under the impression, reading my owner's manual, that my vehicle came with the cornering lights. Obviously that's not the case...Bummer!

At least for the X5, the tech document is incorrect regarding the element that is used for the non-laser headlights. It shows a cornering light but that is not used, at least in the US and some other countries. Perhaps the X7 is the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #29
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
At least for the X5, the tech document is incorrect regarding the element that is used for the non-laser headlights. It shows a cornering light but that is not used, at least in the US and some other countries. Perhaps the X7 is the same.
I believe you're right. Maybe there are no cornering lights for either the X5 or X7 here in the US.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 12:50 AM   #30
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

the cornering lights do work quite well and are brighter then our q7 its just unfortunate i had to wait a year to use them due to software.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:20 AM   #31
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
That is not correct for the X5, as well as some other models. The cornering lights are not triggered with the turn signals alone.

That is actually correct, depending on which X5 tho. I didn't realize the cornering lights and headlights are one unit on the G05, as BMW has two cornering lights trigger logics:

1, F15, F16, F10, F01 (pre LCI) just a few examples, if the headlight units don't include cornering lights, then they use fog lamps as cornering lights, in which case, can be triggered by a) turning steering wheel in either direction, b) turn indicator on for either direction, independent of steering input, and c) when in reverse both fog lamps/cornering lights are on;

2, F12, F13 (if equipped with LED), F01 (LCI), G05 for example, they have headlight units with cornering lights included, in which case, they are only triggered by turning steering wheel in either direction
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:24 AM   #32
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

On G05 and models with cornering lights included in the headlight units, can only be triggered by steering angle; on models don't include cornering lights in the headlight units, they use fog lamps instead, in which case, are triggered by

a) turning steering wheel in either direction;
b) turn indicator on for either direction, independent of steering input; and
c) when in reverse both fog lamps/cornering lights are on.

"you don't indicate when you are taking a bend", that sounds like you were referring to adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:29 AM   #33
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsocr7 View Post
Can confirm. No need for turn signal. You can see them turn even if you're parked in the garage.

Correct for models with cornering lights included in the headlight units, and they can only be activated with steering input, however, for models without cornering lights in the headlight housings, and use for lamps as cornering lights, they can be activated by 3 ways:

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:30 AM   #34
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
That is actually correct, depending on which X5 tho. I didn't realize the cornering lights and headlights are one unit on the G05, as BMW has two cornering lights trigger logics:

1, F15, F16, F10, F01 (pre LCI) just a few examples, if the headlight units don't include cornering lights, then they use fog lamps as cornering lights, in which case, can be triggered by a) turning steering wheel in either direction, b) turn indicator on for either direction, independent of steering input, and c) when in reverse both fog lamps/cornering lights are on;

2, F12, F13 (if equipped with LED), F01 (LCI), G05 for example, they have headlight units with cornering lights included, in which case, they are only triggered by turning steering wheel in either direction
LOL This thread is concerning the G05.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:31 AM   #35
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
On G05 and models with cornering lights included in the headlight units, can only be triggered by steering angle; on models don't include cornering lights in the headlight units, they use fog lamps instead, in which case, are triggered by

"you don't indicate when you are taking a bend", that sounds like you were referring to adaptive headlights

That its not correct either unless there was a change in the last few weeks. The fog lamps do not operate as cornering lights on the G05.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:38 AM   #36
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

There are two types of cornering lights: included in the headlight units or using fog lamps as cornering lights.

I'm not sure if BMW would program the fog lamps to function as cornering lights on cars like yours, which the headlight units have spots for the actual cornering lights, but wasn't included due to option; or just outright not offering this feature.

Can you give it a try and see what happens?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:39 AM   #37
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That its not correct either unless there was a change in the last few weeks. The fog lamps do not operate as cornering lights on the G05.

Please read the original posts that I replied to, otherwise you make this kinda mistake. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #38
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
LOL This thread is concerning the G05.
Fine, and I already explained why I assumed they would function the same as most previous models! I have a X7 not a G05 and didn't know they had the same headlight functions. Regardless, I explained perfectly in detail and expanded your knowledge on cornering lights. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #39
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Cornering lights are triggered in two ways:

1, Turn signals;

2, Steering wheel turning angle.

So to see them in action, with car switched on and parked, turn steering wheel to either side 40° or more, or turn either side turn indicator on, then step out and enjoy

I agree, it's never functioned by the turn signal unless there has been a recent change to the software. I'm on 07/2019.55.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #40
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Please read the original posts that I replied to, otherwise you make this kinda mistake. Thanks
I read the post that why I mention you are posting incorrect information again.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #41
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There are two types of cornering lights: included in the headlight units or using fog lamps as cornering lights.

I'm not sure if BMW would program the fog lamps to function as cornering lights on cars like yours, which the headlight units have spots for the actual cornering lights, but wasn't included due to option; or just outright not offering this feature.

Can you give it a try and see what happens?
I checked this out yesterday. While Parked and the car running with headlights on I turned the steering wheel all the way to the right and left. I also tried with and without the blinkers on.

No cornering lights and no fog lights turning on while the steering wheel is cranked all the way to the left or right.

So, no Laser Lights equals no cornering lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:33 PM   #42
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
I checked this out yesterday. While Parked and the car running with headlights on I turned the steering wheel all the way to the right and left. I also tried with and without the blinkers on.

No cornering lights and no fog lights turning on while the steering wheel is cranked all the way to the left or right.

So, no Laser Lights equals no cornering lights.
That is correct for G Series BMWs, fogs do not act as cornering lights - which is surprising since X6M50i mentioned he owned a X7.

As you succulently stated - no Lasers = no cornering lights in the USA for now. They could add them in the future as part of the G05 LCI (lifecycle impulse) update.

He is correct that F Series BMWs utilized fogs for cornering. Back then (sounds long but only a year, two years ago) Xenon headlamps were standard and LEDs were optional. But since we're discussing G Series vehicles, it isn't relevant to this discussion.

Last edited by Auricom; 12-30-2019 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #43
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
I agree, it's never functioned by the turn signal unless there has been a recent change to the software. I'm on 07/2019.55.

People don't read! Not surprised!

"BMW has two cornering lights trigger logics:

2, F12, F13 (if equipped with LED), F01 (LCI), G05 for example, they have headlight units with cornering lights included, in which case, they are only triggered by turning steering wheel in either direction"
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:52 PM   #44
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I read the post that why I mention you are posting incorrect information again.

Again READ!!! I don't post incorrect information, actually my info is so vast, you can't quite follow! However, you did post incorrect info, but I didn't bother to correct. Here is it AGAIN!

"BMW has two cornering lights trigger logics:

2, F12, F13 (if equipped with LED), F01 (LCI), G05 for example, they have headlight units with cornering lights included, in which case, they are only triggered by turning steering wheel in either direction"
Appreciate 0