E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > What does the factory alarm sound like?

12-22-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
What does the factory alarm sound like?

My 330i should be arrive at port early January. I feel it's silly to have a nonfunctional clown nose, and am considering the factory alarm.

What does it sound like? Does it chirp when you activate it? What does it do when it goes off?

I called Irvine BMW and was told that instead of spending the $500 on that, that I should spend $600 and get a Lojack instead. So I'm a bit confused why the dealership wouldn't want to install their own company's alarm.
      12-22-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
loopsandsounds
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7M50, GT3RS, G80 M3, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
I feel it's silly to have a nonfunctional clown nose, and am considering the factory alarm.
What does it sound like? Does it chirp when you activate it?
I just had the alarm installed. The clown nose lights up. It adds an internal motion sensor, hood switch, and siren. It beeps (identical to the E46 alarm beep) once for lock, and 2X for unlock, which is a personal setting on your key memory (you can disable the beep or the lights flashing if you want) I haven't had the new one go off yet, but my E46 factory alarm was a piercing high pitched squeal.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
jflecha
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
The alarm is more a peace of mind type deal and there is a motion sensor, that and your clown nose sending out that red beam are the parts I like, to me its not very loud and it doesnt sound like most alarms.

From what I've read in this forum the car is very hard to steal, you would have to put it on a flat bed to steal it, if you got the premium package with BMW assist I'm almost certain being able to locate the car if its stolen is included, so I dont see the need to get loJack.

I think its worth the $500.00, its one more reason for someone not to mess with your car.